kdiddy89

5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2012
Status
Pre-Optometry
Hey,

I've been accepted to WesternU and IAUPR. Where should I go? Yes, a very vague question so let me explain. Western has amazing technology, great faculty, and what appears to be a great curriculum. IAUPR bilingual optometry learning, only downside I see is the lack of clinical experience in the first year. I know IAUPR has received some bad comments. I'm from Canada so getting loans from the government and a student line of credit is a pain especially since the max I can probably get is 220,000 The rough estimate for attending WesternU (with everything included i.e food, housing, transportation etc) is around $260,000 for 4 years. The estimated 4 years at IAUPR is $180,000!

Did I miss something? Cause I'm happy living in any location, literally anywhere I'm quite comfortable with adjusting. Why wouldn't I go to a school, on an island, that provides a good education for a OD program and save myself 50-80,000 come graduation? As to how much I liked Western, IAUPR seems like a great place to be also, with about $80,000 less debt come graduation. Feel free to spill your guts out with comments cause I'm really curious to know if there are any BIG problems with IAUPR or if it's just that most people wouldn't want to live in US territory and that it would be difficult to get a job about graduation. Please keep in mind, I'm from Canada so I will for sure not have a problem finding a job cause businesses are always looking for associates upon graduation.

Commando303

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2009
Status
Hey,

I've been accepted to WesternU and IAUPR. Where should I go? Yes, a very vague question so let me explain. Western has amazing technology, great faculty, and what appears to be a great curriculum. IAUPR bilingual optometry learning, only downside I see is the lack of clinical experience in the first year. I know IAUPR has received some bad comments. I'm from Canada so getting loans from the government and a student line of credit is a pain especially since the max I can probably get is 220,000 The rough estimate for attending WesternU (with everything included i.e food, housing, transportation etc) is around $260,000 for 4 years. The estimated 4 years at IAUPR is $180,000!

Did I miss something? Cause I'm happy living in any location, literally anywhere I'm quite comfortable with adjusting. Why wouldn't I go to a school, on an island, that provides a good education for a OD program and save myself 50-80,000 come graduation? As to how much I liked Western, IAUPR seems like a great place to be also, with about $80,000 less debt come graduation. Feel free to spill your guts out with comments cause I'm really curious to know if there are any BIG problems with IAUPR or if it's just that most people wouldn't want to live in US territory and that it would be difficult to get a job about graduation. Please keep in mind, I'm from Canada so I will for sure not have a problem finding a job cause businesses are always looking for associates upon graduation.
A big factor that works against I.A.U.P.R. simply is its reputation. Like it or not, fair or not, it's often seen as the optometry school you attend "when none other accepted you." If this matters to you, Western U. might be a better option; if you're unaffected by it, by all means, select I.A.U.P.R.

As for clinical experience, you won't get any during your first year, no matter which school you choose (don't buy into any bull-sh!t you're given to the contrary by program administrators) — you just don't know enough, for clinic exposure to be meaningful.