ibanking/corporate finance....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stifler

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ibanking/corporate finance.... do summer jobs as a summer analyst in those fields give me any legs up when i apply for md/mba?

none of those fields have ANY health care in them. just how money works.

opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

stifler said:
ibanking/corporate finance.... do summer jobs as a summer analyst in those fields give me any legs up when i apply for md/mba?

opinions?
http://www.compurise.com/mdmba/faq.htm
this is an all right mdmba q&a

it didnt really answer the question...

Members don't see this ad :)
stifler said:
it didnt really answer the question...
i know, but im not qualified to answer it with anything but speculation anyway. plus i post around here too much, links are just so much easier. any work experience is better than none, the link does touch on the work experience part some. probably some ideal work experiences for mdmba might be in health policy, insurance, hmo--but again, speculation so its meaningless. unfortunately there arent too many hotshot, established mdmbas who would bother posting words of wisdom on online forums. maybe we can be different one day? hmm doubt it

i guess my opinion is that any biz experience would give you a leg up depending on how youre able to spin it. plus even if theyre not ideal for mdmba, they sound lucrative and enticing so i would go for it

if you play up the MD/MBA card in your application then an analyst summer job will definitely help. but it shouldnt be at the expense of health care related activities. if you dont have any shadowing, research, volunteering and all you have is i banking then schools will wonder why medicine? it seems that the MBA part of the degree is more of an afterthought or a nice addition.. you are really there for the MD degree so make sure that part of your application is tight.

I am in my second year doing investment banking in the Healthcare group at a large firm. I am applying for 2006 md/mba programs. I think investment banking is a great experience, and the work I do is DIRECTLY related to future management positions in the field. Our clients we work with and provide solutions for our CEO's, CFO's, managers, of hospitals, healthcare systems, pharmeceutical, medical device, and biotech companies. And it is a fun, interesting experience...though there are long hours, you get compensated a lot...where else can you make $125,000 (salary + bonus) the first year out of college?

mbadoc said:
I am in my second year doing investment banking in the Healthcare group at a large firm. I am applying for 2006 md/mba programs. I think investment banking is a great experience, and the work I do is DIRECTLY related to future management positions in the field. Our clients we work with and provide solutions for our CEO's, CFO's, managers, of hospitals, healthcare systems, pharmeceutical, medical device, and biotech companies. And it is a fun, interesting experience...though there are long hours, you get compensated a lot...where else can you make $125,000 (salary + bonus) the first year out of college?
awesome, youre a much needed addition to these forums. what firm? or what are examples of firms to pick up mdmba experience? should i pester you for a reference ;)

Shredder said:
awesome, youre a much needed addition to these forums. what firm? or what are examples of firms to pick up mdmba experience? should i pester you for a reference ;)

I have been on this forum for a while but have only recently started posting. I am a big fan of you and your posts because you bring ideas that most traditional pre-meds do not share or care to think about, yet I believe are vitaly important. I am a big supporter of trying to find market solutions to healthcare in the US.

I am working at Lehman Brothers in New York right now. I think any healthcare consulting or healthcare investment banking would be a great opportunity.

stifler said:

opinions?
http://www.lehman.com/ibd/industry/hc/index.htm
so ibanking can have health care in it
looks like a sweet place mbadoc, good going

Hey Mbadoc,

I am a 2nd year medical student currently thinking about going into the i-bank field. How do like the i-bank field so far? Do you know any other MD/MBAs in the healthcare investment sector? I am glad to find someone who already has some experience in this field.

Thanks

its going to be rough for me to get a summer analyst position with 0 economics classes under my belt. biochem major isnt that quantative. not as much as physics or applied math. anyways what are some health care firms i can look into for internships. im hitting up some big investment banking firms hoping to work in the health care industry sector. any other suggestions for where to try to intern?

stifler said:
its going to be rough for me to get a summer analyst position with 0 economics classes under my belt. biochem major isnt that quantative. not as much as physics or applied math. anyways what are some health care firms i can look into for internships. im hitting up some big investment banking firms hoping to work in the health care industry sector. any other suggestions for where to try to intern?
finance classes would be helpful. still, its going to be tough considering that all positions tend to be competitive, especially at the big investment firms. i think most intern positions are given with the expectation that ppl will return to work full time at the firm in the future. im actually wondering how i myself am going to make it happen...im not sure if the standard resume approach will work, connections might be necessary. ive considered finding a position at some think tank, might be interesting. dunno though, more worried about getting into a med school right now. applied yet stifler?

mdczech said:
Hey Mbadoc,

I am a 2nd year medical student currently thinking about going into the i-bank field. How do like the i-bank field so far? Do you know any other MD/MBAs in the healthcare investment sector? I am glad to find someone who already has some experience in this field.

Thanks

I am a fourth year medical student right now with a BBA from the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan. If you are thinking about Ibanking then your best bet is to not waste more time in medical school. Investment Banking is a very difficult field to just jump into, and I am sure you believe an MD is going to seperate you from the bunch. It definitely will make you stand out, good and bad. For one thing, the quintessential banker is one whose technical skills are top notch, and for you to have gotten this far along into medical school you can be honest in acknowledging that the training required for medicine as well as the practice of medicine requires little to no technical ability (save for radiology/rad. oncology).

This is a big knock against doctors, which is why consulting is usually the siren song that lures physicians into business. In consulting, the ability to problem solve, to manage crisis, to develop feasible solutions and develop strategy is required. I personally believe these are things doctors can just knock out the park.

As for the other poster who thinks that i-banking experience will influence the md/mba program....well yes and no, yes because it shows some diversity, but they could care **** about that. Someone with research experience in all honesty would probably interest them more, because it has more to do with what they want (research=grants=prestige). As for ibanking experiene for an MBA, a summer stint in banking is a laughable qualification. MBA positions are not given necessarily on what you've done in the past, but a lot of times on what this degree will enable you to do in the future. People go get an MBA when they reach a position at work where they cannot go further without more training.

I was in management consulting prior to medicine, in many ways I wish i never left. I realized that a person can be only one thing, I thought I could balance medicine/business, but I now realized you're either a doc or a business person can't really do both. Thats why i recommend if you feel you are a business person, that pursuit of being a doctor may just be a painful distraction. Food for thought.

BusDoc said:
I am a fourth year medical student right now with a BBA from the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan. If you are thinking about Ibanking then your best bet is to not waste more time in medical school. Investment Banking is a very difficult field to just jump into, and I am sure you believe an MD is going to seperate you from the bunch. It definitely will make you stand out, good and bad. For one thing, the quintessential banker is one whose technical skills are top notch, and for you to have gotten this far along into medical school you can be honest in acknowledging that the training required for medicine as well as the practice of medicine requires little to no technical ability (save for radiology/rad. oncology).

This is a big knock against doctors, which is why consulting is usually the siren song that lures physicians into business. In consulting, the ability to problem solve, to manage crisis, to develop feasible solutions and develop strategy is required. I personally believe these are things doctors can just knock out the park.

As for the other poster who thinks that i-banking experience will influence the md/mba program....well yes and no, yes because it shows some diversity, but they could care **** about that. Someone with research experience in all honesty would probably interest them more, because it has more to do with what they want (research=grants=prestige). As for ibanking experiene for an MBA, a summer stint in banking is a laughable qualification. MBA positions are not given necessarily on what you've done in the past, but a lot of times on what this degree will enable you to do in the future. People go get an MBA when they reach a position at work where they cannot go further without more training.

I was in management consulting prior to medicine, in many ways I wish i never left. I realized that a person can be only one thing, I thought I could balance medicine/business, but I now realized you're either a doc or a business person can't really do both. Thats why i recommend if you feel you are a business person, that pursuit of being a doctor may just be a painful distraction. Food for thought.

Good post :thumbup:

stifler said:

How difficult is it to get an analyst position? Would it be easier to get an intership (prior to med school)?

NRAI2001 said:
How would I Banking work in the healthcare sector?

The healthcare is nearly a 2 TRILLION dollar industry. When a pharmaceutical company needs capital to finance the next blockbuster drug, who do they turn to? An investment bank. When 2 biotech companies merge, who is going to do the underwriting? An investment bank. Most investment banks have healthcare groups that focus on the finances of pharmaceuticals, biotech firms, hospitals, etc.

As you can tell, I'm definitely interested in I-banking after I finish my internal medicine residency.

-hdo781

hdo781 said:
The healthcare is nearly a 2 TRILLION dollar industry. When a pharmaceutical company needs capital to finance the next blockbuster drug, who do they turn to? An investment bank. When 2 biotech companies merge, who is going to do the underwriting? An investment bank. Most investment banks have healthcare groups that focus on the finances of pharmaceuticals, biotech firms, hospitals, etc.

As you can tell, I'm definitely interested in I-banking after I finish my internal medicine residency.

-hdo781

Where do i sign up? :thumbup:

NRAI2001 said:
Where do i sign up? :thumbup:

Unfortunately landing a job in the Investment Banking world is much tougher than getting into medical school. (Trust me, I am on the recruiting team at my investment bank and we go through hundreds of resumes from only the top schools and hand pick a few).

You ultimately need to get good internships + good grades + good SAT/other standardized tests + a whole lot of luck to get in. Knowing someone high up also helps too.

mbadoc said:
Unfortunately landing a job in the Investment Banking world is much tougher than getting into medical school. (Trust me, I am on the recruiting team at my investment bank and we go through hundreds of resumes from only the top schools and hand pick a few).

You ultimately need to get good internships + good grades + good SAT/other standardized tests + a whole lot of luck to get in. Knowing someone high up also helps too.

Would having an MD help? An MD/MBA?

NRAI2001 said:
Would having an MD help? An MD/MBA?

An MD would help. It would narrow the world of finance to only those areas medically/healthcare related but it would give you an edge I believe. (so would graduating from a top ten MBA program). Currently my top fields that I would consider entering with an md/mba in order of preference are:

1) Private Equity/Venture Capital
2) Consulting
3) Bio Tech Fund Analyst
4) Investment Banking (Corporate Finance)
5) Hospital Administration