IBM's Watson Technology in the VA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This article talks about a deal the VA made with IBM to use Watson technology in the future. Curious as to what you all think about this.

http://www.fedtechmagazine.com/article/2015/01/5-facts-about-va-s-ibm-watson-pilot

I'm all for technology being used (appropriately) to address problems that the tech is good at addressing--for example the basic electronic medical record (CPRS) at the VA. However, we are currently having a software program called Mental Health Suite being mandated for use with the apparent rationale that it will result in better interdisciplinary collaboration and treatment planning. The sad part is that we have had absolutely zero attention paid (via group discussions, guidelines, leadership) to the actual process of interdisciplinary team collaboration, treatment planning, or case forumulation...but we are being forced to log into a program and type some text and, thereby, presto...the administrators can point to the fact that 'our clinicians are using Mental Health Suite...a program that demonstrates (somehow) successful interdisciplinary collaboration (horsehockey).'

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I'm interested in how good it's data combing is. Especially with ever changing templates and procedures in the EMR. Also, maybe some of that money could go to COLA's that actually stay in step with inflation to help with retention of mid and late career professionals :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm all for technology being used (appropriately) to address problems that the tech is good at addressing--for example the basic electronic medical record (CPRS) at the VA. However, we are currently having a software program called Mental Health Suite being mandated for use with the apparent rationale that it will result in better interdisciplinary collaboration and treatment planning. The sad part is that we have had absolutely zero attention paid (via group discussions, guidelines, leadership) to the actual process of interdisciplinary team collaboration, treatment planning, or case forumulation...but we are being forced to log into a program and type some text and, thereby, presto...the administrators can point to the fact that 'our clinicians are using Mental Health Suite...a program that demonstrates (somehow) successful interdisciplinary collaboration (horsehockey).'

I can't understand tx plans written in there anyway...

This article talks about a deal the VA made with IBM to use Watson technology in the future. Curious as to what you all think about this.

http://www.fedtechmagazine.com/article/2015/01/5-facts-about-va-s-ibm-watson-pilot

I apologize to the original poster for getting a little off-topic with respect to the original post...it's just so hard sometimes as a VA psychologist not to gripe about upper-management and their 'department-of-silly-walks' approach to addressing substantive problems with 'let's pull a rabbit out of the hat' flair. I took a closer look at the linked article and, although it's a bit scant on detail, the idea of an actuarial approach to clinical decision-making certainly has a lot to recommend it according to the professional literature. I would just emphasize the 'garbage in, garbage out' admonition. For example, if they are going to consider Psychopathy Checklist (PCL) scores to be face-valid self-report measures of degree of posttraumatic stress disorder symptomatology in the VA system...well...I've got some counterfeit Monopoly money I'd like to use as a down payment on a new house in La-La Land :). I just transitioned out of a position doing compensation and pension exams (mental health) full-time and, wow, the MMPI-2-RF validity scales (F-r and F(p)-r) were consistently 'blown out' the top. I fear that technology is sometimes used by upper management to conveniently 'take action' on an issue (e.g., we need better case formulation and interdisciplinary collaboration) without really TAKING ACTION in a skillful, effective, or time-intensive manner.

Reactions: 1 user
. I just transitioned out of a position doing compensation and pension exams (mental health) full-time and, wow, the MMPI-2-RF validity scales (F-r and F(p)-r) were consistently 'blown out' the top.

Wait, you didn't apply the VA correction to those scores. Everyone knows you have to subtract 40 points from the T-score.

Wait, you didn't apply the VA correction to those scores. Everyone knows you have to subtract 40 points from the T-score.

LOL...otherwise known as "The Mental Health C&P Correction/Adjustment" :).

Also, I suffered a little 'proactive interference' seizure and called the PTSD Checklist (PCL) The Psychopathy Checklist (PCL). Sheesh...time for bed.