IBR and paying higher percentage loans

Started by gobruins
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gobruins

Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is this possible under IBR:

1. apply for IBR -> get lower monthly payments
2. Pay the same amount I would have without IBR (if I'm guessing the loan forgiveness after 25 years won't be around in 25 years) but since I'm now technically paying extra per month, I could direct that "extra amount" be applied towards my higher percentage loans.

I think over the long term, this would save quite a bit since if I paid normally, the money would be spread out over the lower interest rate loans.
 
Is this possible under IBR:

1. apply for IBR -> get lower monthly payments
2. Pay the same amount I would have without IBR (if I'm guessing the loan forgiveness after 25 years won't be around in 25 years) but since I'm now technically paying extra per month, I could direct that "extra amount" be applied towards my higher percentage loans.

I think over the long term, this would save quite a bit since if I paid normally, the money would be spread out over the lower interest rate loans.

I know with private lenders you can specify which loans you want to apply any payment above the minimum to. I assume you can do the same with Federal Loans, but the best way to find out would be to call FedLoan Servicing and ask them--unfortunately I don't know for sure as I'm fortunately not yet in repayment.
 
Is this possible under IBR:

1. apply for IBR -> get lower monthly payments
2. Pay the same amount I would have without IBR (if I'm guessing the loan forgiveness after 25 years won't be around in 25 years) but since I'm now technically paying extra per month, I could direct that "extra amount" be applied towards my higher percentage loans.

I think over the long term, this would save quite a bit since if I paid normally, the money would be spread out over the lower interest rate loans.

yes