Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone else run into this?
My husband and I are both residents (Surgery and Peds). Combined we have a half million dollars in student loans that are going into repayment. I went through the IBR calculator because full payments on these loans is not a reasonable option for us. It turns out that the IBR calculations count the household income for each individual but not the household student debt. If we were single our repayment would be $290/month each but because we are married, our repayment is $850/month each. That's $1000 more a month.
The website acknowledges that this is "unfair and inappropriate" but will not be revisiting the issue until July of 2010.
We can't afford an extra $1700/month on top of mortgage, bills and food. I haven't talked to the loan companies yet (will call tomorrow) but I think our only option is forbearance until I finish residency and get a real job.
Is any one else in a similar situation? And has anyone else heard anything more promising from the Dept of Education?
Finally, should I divorce my husband even though I really like him and we are about to have a baby? (kidding...)
My husband and I are both residents (Surgery and Peds). Combined we have a half million dollars in student loans that are going into repayment. I went through the IBR calculator because full payments on these loans is not a reasonable option for us. It turns out that the IBR calculations count the household income for each individual but not the household student debt. If we were single our repayment would be $290/month each but because we are married, our repayment is $850/month each. That's $1000 more a month.
The website acknowledges that this is "unfair and inappropriate" but will not be revisiting the issue until July of 2010.
We can't afford an extra $1700/month on top of mortgage, bills and food. I haven't talked to the loan companies yet (will call tomorrow) but I think our only option is forbearance until I finish residency and get a real job.
Is any one else in a similar situation? And has anyone else heard anything more promising from the Dept of Education?
Finally, should I divorce my husband even though I really like him and we are about to have a baby? (kidding...)