IBR/PAYE = can't get a mortgage for a house

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
Removed
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
New FHA underwriting rule counts 2% of your outstanding loan as your monthly repayment in your debt to income ratio. This will prevent many well paid healthcare professionals from getting a mortgage.

http://www.usnews.com/education/blo...student-loans-may-affect-mortgage-eligibility

Paying off your student loans is just one of the competing financial goals many consumers are required to juggle. Another is home ownership.

It's pretty clear that your student loan payments are going to affect how much and how quickly you're able to save a down payment for your first home, as well as the affordability of your mortgage payments. But they can also affect your eligibility for the mortgage in the first place.

Take a look at the following to see how the different federal mortgage programs view the various types of student loan payments.

FHA Loans

Created in the 1930s, a Federal Housing Administration mortgage is a popular choice for many first-time homebuyers. Not only does it often allow for a lower down payment – 3.5 percent in some cases – the credit criteria can be a little more forgiving than one from a traditional lender.

Unfortunately, recent changes to FHA mortgage underwriting rules may make this option less available to consumers with student loan debt. In the past, consumers who had their student loan payments deferred for at least 12 months could exclude this debt from the overall debt-to-income ratio considered when applying for a mortgage.

What lenders look for here is whether your monthly debts are so high compared with your income that you are likely to struggle or be unable to pay your mortgage payment down the line. Most lenders look for debt-to-income ratios lower than about 43 percent, but some are OK if it is as high as 50 percent.

For borrowers with large student loan debt, having the option to exclude this debt from that debt-to-income calculation could mean the difference between being approved for an FHA mortgage and being denied. Since Sept. 14, however, such deferred loans will now be included in the debt-to-income calculation to the tune of 2 percent of the student loan amount or about $200 for every $10,000 owed.

This includes situations where the borrower is under an income-based repayment plan with a payment of zero dollars. Borrowers with fixed monthly payments will have those payments used in the debt-to-income formula.

While this rule change will certainly cause some first-time applicants to be denied, it will also help ensure that consumers are not taking on more debt than is manageable.

[Test your knowledge with this quiz on student loan repayment.]

VA Loans

Veterans Administration loans work under similar guidelines; however, they will not count the student loan debt if the loan is in an 18- to 24-month deferment at the time of closing.

Anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that underwriters sometimes use the same standards for both FHA and VA home loans, so it's always a good idea to ask how a deferred or zero dollar income-based repayment amount will be treated.

[Get familiar with private student loan repayment options.]

USDA Loans

Department of Agriculture home loans will take into account 1 percent of the balance of the loans in cases where the loans are deferred or under an adjustable repayment plan such as income-based repayment. If you are on a standard, nonadjustable payment plan, that is the amount that will be used in the debt-to-income calculation.

Most traditional mortgage writers use Fannie Mae's underwriting standards. These standards have also recently changed, but for the homebuyer's benefit. These new standards require that the greater of 1 percent of the student loan balance or the actual payment amount be used when determining applicants' debt-to-income ratio. Up until recently, the amount used was 2 percent.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Dude I wish I had $.05 for every mailing I get now as a 4th year med student for doctor mortgages that calculate debt differently so residents can buy houses. These people want to get me in a mortgage like it's 2007.

Visit whitecoatinvestor.com to see the names of all these companies...which of course advertise there.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Dude I wish I had $.05 for every mailing I get now as a 4th year med student for doctor mortgages that calculate debt differently so residents can buy houses. These people want to get me in a mortgage like it's 2007.

Visit whitecoatinvestor.com to see the names of all these companies...which of course advertise there.

Yeah if you are OK with much higher interest rate and fee.

http://whitecoatinvestor.com/personal-finance/the-doctor-mortgage-loan/

"The Amerisave rate (which I found to be about the going rate while mortgage shopping recently) for a no-fee, no-points, non-jumbo 30 year fixed loan today is 4.5%. A similar doctor’s loan is offered at 5.375%. That might not seem like much, but over 30 years on a $500,000 home, that is a lot of money. With the doctor’s loan, you’ll pay $508,000 in interest. If you put 20% down, you’ll only pay $330,000 in interest because it is a smaller loan and a better rate. Plus, you don’t have to pay the extra $5,675 in fees up front. That money compounded over 30 years at 8% is another $57,000. So the benefit of using a regular old 30 year fixed loan with 20% down could be as much as $235,000 on a $500,000 home. This, of course, ignores the opportunity cost of that $100,000 down payment, which we’ll discuss below."

to review we started with DOCTORS CAN'T GET MORTGAGES

vs DOCTORS GET RAW DEAL ON HALF MILLION DOLLAR HOUSES

Reactions: 1 users
Obviously this is not absolute. That is why I used "many". Nevertheless this shows there is a major disadvantage with PSLF/PAYE/IBR. If you can't get a mortgage from FHA, FM because of the way they calculate your debt to income ratio then your other option is going to cost you dearly.

Obviously this is not absolute. That is why I used "many". Nevertheless this shows there is a major disadvantage with PSLF/PAYE/IBR. If you can't get a mortgage from FHA, FM because of the way they calculate your debt to income ratio then your other option is going to cost you dearly.

Currently, I'm getting a quote for a $350k mortgage at 3.4% 30 yr fixed rate for zero down payment. This is from a local bank through my real estate agent. This rule applies to the majority of people. However, I doubt it applies to those people with major assets despite the huge amount of debt.

Currently, I'm getting a quote for a $350k mortgage at 3.4% 30 yr fixed rate for zero down payment. This is from a local bank through my real estate agent. This rule applies to the majority of people. However, I doubt it applies to those people with major assets despite the huge amount of debt.

I can only buy a small studio with that kind of money.

I can only buy a small studio with that kind of money.

LOL I'm a family man with kids, so the quiet suburb life fits me. You can get some decent house for 350K-400K in desirable places in the US. I have seen homes bet 350-400K in nice parts of San Diego.

My point still stands that debt is only secondary to hold assets when it comes to getting a big mortgage with an affordable rate.