iClickers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplesaurus

I'm still waiting...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm a pre-vet student and on a waitlist for this year (WSU!).

I was finally forced to buy an iClicker this semester, and now that the end is approaching, I am thinking about what to do with it. By itself, it's pretty useless, but I don't want get rid of it and then have to buy another one, so I was wondering...

Do any of you vet students use iClickers in your classes? I am wondering about everywhere, not just WSU, since I may not get in this year (and I would definitely be applying to more than just WSU if I apply again).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, that's encouraging! I don't like iClickers, and I assumed they wouldn't be used in a professional program. Then I thought to myself, Well, if someone had told me about those things while I was getting my first bachelor's, I would have thought they would not be very popular. However, they seem to be used more and more these days.

Members don't see this ad :)
In undergrad I have used a similar clicker, but mine was through the company einstruction and our clickers are not as fancy as the ones shown on the iclicker website.

I *think* they've started using them at the U of MN, although we didn't use them when I was in lectures.

Thanks for the info! UMN is on my short list for if I am applying next year.

In undergrad I have used a similar clicker, but mine was through the company einstruction and our clickers are not as fancy as the ones shown on the iclicker website.

Well, maybe that means they were cheaper! ;)

Thanks for the info! UMN is on my short list for if I am applying next year.

Well, maybe that means they were cheaper! ;)

:laugh: Maybe. What I liked about einstruction was that I was able to pay one fee (I think $25) and now I am able to sign up for as many classes as I have that use the clickers for the rest of my life (at any school). I really liked that option considering to sign up for classes individually was like $10/class. That lifetime fee paid for itself in about 2 semesters.

:laugh: Maybe. What I liked about einstruction was that I was able to pay one fee (I think $25) and now I am able to sign up for as many classes as I have that use the clickers for the rest of my life (at any school). I really liked that option considering to sign up for classes individually was like $10/class. That lifetime fee paid for itself in about 2 semesters.

Hmmm... I am not certain if I follow. So you buy your clicker, and then to register it for class, you have to pay a fee?

For the iClicker, I just had to buy it. I do have to register my number for each class each semester, but that's no extra charge. Of course, my iClicker was around $35, so you still got a better deal!

Hmmm... I am not certain if I follow. So you buy your clicker, and then to register it for class, you have to pay a fee?

For the iClicker, I just had to buy it. I do have to register my number for each class each semester, but that's no extra charge. Of course, my iClicker was around $35, so you still got a better deal!

I had to buy the clicker around $25 and then pay a fee to register for classes. So you got the better deal! :)

No, you got the better deal! ;) (yeah, okay, I think did, really...)

Heh, actually, I think it was these companies that got the best deal.

Keep in mind that some schools assign clickers to students; ISU is one (we use TurningPoint). Because of this you may not be able to use your current clicker even if it is the same type.

cuitlamiztli,
So what exactly is the clicker used for at ISU? Before this thread, I had never heard of one.

When I saw this thread title, I thought it was about dog training.

Members don't see this ad :)
cuitlamiztli,
So what exactly is the clicker used for at ISU? Before this thread, I had never heard of one.

We use them for various classes, voting for clubs, class voting, etc. It basically provides an instant feedback and the professors can choose to record who answers what or not to record that information.

I can only speak for first year, but we've used them in at least two classes (Case studies in fall, Immunology in spring). I'm probably forgetting some, too, but those are the ones we have used them regularly. For case studies it was essentially a non-graded quiz and our immunology professors start the class with review questions. I've heard that later classes will use them for in-class, graded quizzes and I'm assuming we will continue to use them in a non-graded fashion throughout the curriculum.

At least some clubs use them for elections during spring. As a class we have used them to approve the constitution, fill various positions (like SCAVMA reps, etc.) as they come up, vote on times for review sessions, and probably other things I'm forgetting as well.

Here are the specific ones we use:
http://www.turningtechnologies.com/...responseoptions/responsecards/responsecardir/

Hope that answers your question!

Keep in mind that some schools assign clickers to students; ISU is one (we use TurningPoint). Because of this you may not be able to use your current clicker even if it is the same type.

Hm, okay. This possibility had not occurred to me.

It seems like, for now, I should hang on to it until I know where I'm going and if they use them.

We use IClickers in our anatomy class at MSU, but the lecturer actually provided them :)

OT but, purplesaurus, when I see your avatar, I think, "Next stop, little sister." Have I got the right movie?

I admit, I had to google the quote, since I haven't seen it in a while. Yeah, it's from My Neighbor Totoro.

We use them at OVC in Guelph (in 1st year anyway)