ICO 1st year equipment costs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

catzeye523

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I posted a thread earlier dealing with equipment that will be bought during the 1st year in optometry school. Can anyone out there shed some light on approximately how much the equipment costs (especially those at ICO)? Also, there's a possibility that I will be buying some of these things from the optometrist I shadowed. She bought her equipment nearly 10 years ago. Would that be too old?
 
I can't comment on cost because I attend UMSL. I think the equipment might be fine; however, you get special student deals on equipment while you're in school...so you might want to go for that while you can.
 
There are student discounts which are quite substantial. Plus, while you are a student, you get free maintenance and loaners on purchased equipment.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
rpames said:
There are student discounts which are quite substantial. Plus, while you are a student, you get free maintenance and loaners on purchased equipment.

...So I shouldn't buy the stuff from the optometrist offering to sell me her stuff?
 
If it were my decision, I'd spring for the new stuff. But that's just me. That's not to say her equipment is bad, but I'd take advantage of the student prices and maintenance while I had the opportunity. Do you have to decide right away? Maybe you could look at the equipment when reps come to visit, and then decide what you think about the OD's stuff. You might even find that you prefer a different brand.

Maybe someone from ICO will post soon, but to give you some frame of reference, I spent a little over $1000 first year, and somewhere around $2500 second year. Next year I won't have to buy that much.
 
Nevermind...I've decided to just buy new equipment. Thank you for the input. I also contacted someone at ICO about it, and he also informed me of the benefits of having new equipment. Why risk having something old that could break on me?