ICO alternate list..PLEASE READ!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyecare510

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was just wondering if anybody was placed on the alternate list at ICO...
I called them today and they told me i wont hear til July...but a coupla weeks ago they said first week of June...

so im just wondering if anyone else is in the same position as me...if they have been told the same thing...

please let me know ASAP
thanks alot!

Members don't see this ad.

I was put on the list last year. I found out that I was accepted off the list on July 9th.

eyecare510,

I am in the same position as you. Thru emails they told me the first week in June I would find something out too! How annoyting. I pretty much gave up on them but I would not mind being pleasantly surprised later. ;) I am just waiting for the stupidly slow snail mail to get to me. I have not called the office but maybe I will now. Not to get your hopes up too high but it could potentially be somewhat positive news for you.

I know the alternate list is l-o-n-g and at some point they will tell the bottom 1/2 they are basically not getting in and give them their $500 back. Have no clue when that is though. Then the other top half or so stay on until the bitter end up until classes start. It is getting soooooooo late in the game. There is a chance but it is slim. Just in case, I would start preping for next year or taking a seat where you were actually offered one.

I'll let you know what I find out if I find out anything.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
they are probably still moving through the accepted wait list. i was at the top half of that list a few weeks ago. so by now they are probably getting pretty close to the alternate list. u guys still have a good chance.

fyi--- no real news. The Admissions Committee has not ranked the Alternate List yet and they don't know when that will be (big surprise). But, they estimate that you will find out where you stand by July. Like I said, just in case you should start prepping for next year or what have you. Good Luck.

Hmmm...another Alternate List candidate here. It's nice to get all those perspectives above...I agree that it's time to seriously pursue plan B, but it'll be nice to get a pleasant surprise from ICO :)

I'm also an Alternate Candidate at ICO, I just called again today and they told me that the committee has not met to rank the alternates yet...shocking. The person also told me that the class is full and that the committee doesn't see a need to rank the alternates unless a vacancy occurs in the class. I think I'm going to move on the plan B. I wonder if any of the alternates have gotten their deposites back yet?!

Just out of curiosity..what IS plan B?? Because I really havent thought out what I should be doing IF I dont get into optometry school for 2009..

I am also on the alternate list and doubt I will be offered a place in this years class. I was told that the alternate list would be ranked by the end of june- obviously not the case for this year. I was also wondering when we would get our deposit back, do we have to wait right to the last minute? Apparently last year everyone off the alternate list was offered a spot so perhaps there is still hope, there is still over a month to go!! Don't give up! Please send an update if anyone has any other information!! Thanks and good luck to you all! :)

Anyone hear anything yet?! Nothing here. And my plan B is to work full time for my optometrist to gain some field experience. Then I will apply in the fall again to ICO and other optometry schools. I only applied to ICO last year, which I regret.