ICO housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idoc2b

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions on off-campus housing? How common is it to live off campus the first year for someone new to the area?

Members don't see this ad.

Of course all the married couples live off campus, but most of the single people do live in the RC. Some people live north side b/c they think it safer and closer to things to do. That is part true, but you are going to be over an hour from the school most days. I live in Canaryville. I'm only 7 min from the school. My apartment is a two bedroom with 2 full baths, we have a dishwasher, washer and dry in the closet and central air. We also have 2 big dogs and we only pay $850/ mo + utilities. That is a steel in Chicago. I have friends who live north and they pay ~1000/mo for a one bedroom one bath, no dishwasher, no washer/dryer, no A/C. Lets not forget the complete lack of parking on the north side. Those friend will drive around for an hour to find a spot 5 blocks away. If I don't a spot with in 50 ft of my front door, I'm pissed. By that I mean, parking is not a problem. And most confusing to me is that they drive over an hour to get to school. If you contact Student affairs at ICO, then can send you an off campus housing packet with areas and landlords. A lot of us rent from Steve McKenzie...his apartments are nice and cheap. Plus he is very easy going.

I'm sure Eyegirl will say this area is horrible, but I have not had enough problem to out way what I'm saving in rent.

So, when do u suggest looking for an apartment? now? or not until this summer? i dont want to wait until there's nothing left, but i dont really know if i can sign a lease now and not have to start paying rent right away... ps thanks for the input so far :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Standard timing to look for renting in Chicago is 6-8 weeks before the time you want the lease to start.

I live on the North side and pay 1000$ even for a two bedroom, W/D in unit, dishwasher, gas heated, etc. One bathroom, though, however. RP james deal for 850$ for that large a place IS a good deal.

I think RPJames is referring to neighborhoods such as Lincoln Park/Wrigleyville/ Wicker Park which can be a little pricey.

Also, remember a lot of the listings will say "1br" but then have an almost equally large room for another bedroom or office.

If you search out places more in west lakeview/lincoln square/ukranian village/roscoe village/logan square/ravenswood/printers row/south loop you will find excellent deals in really great/hip/safe/unique places. I'm about 30 minutes(I live in Roscoe Village) from the school in high traffic, around 15-20 minutes in low traffic. I live around really great shopping, coffee shops, and cute restaraunts...once you live in Chicago you'll realize how nice it is to just walk around your neighborhood(and to get to the restaraunts that deliver)...something to think about as the areas around the school don't offer as much.

I've never had trouble parking on the street in my neighborhood(I usually park curbside about 20 ft from my door), but if you're in Lincoln Park/Wicker Park you probably will run into trouble.

Some links to help you find housing/apartments are.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/apa/
http://www.chicagoreader.com/spacefinder

Reviews of different things in Chicago(check out the neighborhood matches and look through those some, helps get a feel for some of the neighborhoods)
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_des....x=18&action_search.y=13&action_search=Search

And to check if the area is safe -
http://www.chicagocrime.org is a good way to check. Even though most areas have about the same TYPE of crime. I'd just check on things like homicides/theft in a residential area(any shopping area will report tons of theft).

rpames said:
Of course all the married couples live off campus, but most of the single people do live in the RC. Some people live north side b/c they think it safer and closer to things to do. That is part true, but you are going to be over an hour from the school most days. I live in Canaryville. I'm only 7 min from the school. My apartment is a two bedroom with 2 full baths, we have a dishwasher, washer and dry in the closet and central air. We also have 2 big dogs and we only pay $850/ mo + utilities. That is a steel in Chicago. I have friends who live north and they pay ~1000/mo for a one bedroom one bath, no dishwasher, no washer/dryer, no A/C. Lets not forget the complete lack of parking on the north side. Those friend will drive around for an hour to find a spot 5 blocks away. If I don't a spot with in 50 ft of my front door, I'm pissed. By that I mean, parking is not a problem. And most confusing to me is that they drive over an hour to get to school. If you contact Student affairs at ICO, then can send you an off campus housing packet with areas and landlords. A lot of us rent from Steve McKenzie...his apartments are nice and cheap. Plus he is very easy going.

I'm sure Eyegirl will say this area is horrible, but I have not had enough problem to out way what I'm saving in rent.

thanks for all the info

For those of you that live off campus, do you drive to school or take a bus/train? What are the pros/cons to public transportation vs driving? Thanks!

ski2bOD said:
For those of you that live off campus, do you drive to school or take a bus/train? What are the pros/cons to public transportation vs driving? Thanks!
They say parking on the street at ICO can be difficult at times, especially in the winter. There is a garage though, so that's another an option if you want to drive to school.

A lot of people drive in, but some who live on the northside or suburbs will take the train in. There is a parking garage available. I think it cost $600-700 a year. That actually is a pretty good price considering those who live in the city will buy a parking spot for $45,000! I know some places where you pay $500 per month for a spot. So in relation to those places, the garage is a bargain. BUT, street parking is never that bad. Sometimes I will have to park a block away, but that is it. For those living in the RC, think parking in the garage is a good idea since you may not move your car for a week, but for those driving in everyday...well that is up to you. If you have the cash, go for it, but I have never had a problem at the school.

Since your car is outside on the south side of Chicago, you do have to make sure NOTHING of value is showing; ie. CDs, cellphone, shopping bags, sun glasses, change (even $0.50). Two or 3 cars to get broken into every year, but that is b/c they had stuff visible. I have never had a problem.

I used to take the train from the North Side to the IIT(which is another university very close to ICO, this is the stop you'll go to if you take a train to ICO) and, well, it's about a 10 minute walk to ICO from it. It's also time consuming. I took the train from around Lincoln Park, which isn't that far north, anyway...you're looking at a 45 minute trip minimum.

Also, the train stop going to and from the south side can be a little "in your face" for someone new to a city area. You'll have to deal with some bums, people who get on the train and beg for money(which is illegal) that type stuff.
That stop to the Loop(where you will transfer) comes pretty quick, however.

But, a lot of students, faculty, staff, take the train and don't have much trouble with it. The area around here is pretty well secured with IIT police driving around the area, so that 10 minute walk isn't bad(but, every once and awhile some sort of trouble is reported).

Parking at ICO is about 50$ a month? Which is reasonable for the area. In the loop you'll be paying a lot for a parking spot...in the "better" places north side you'll see spots from around 25$ to 200$ a month. I had a spot for awhile north side that was 60$. But, really, if you find a good area for it street parking shouldn't be a problem. I've never had trouble finding a parking spot at the school.

My mind has been changed about getting a parking permit for the garage. Yesterday some piece of crap broke into my car an stool my GPS navigation system. It was the mobil kind that can move from car to car. I had it in the console in the back seat. They didn't break a window or anything, but I know I locked. I specifically remember locking it as as I got out, and pushing the remote and hearing beep again when I got across the street. My theories are: 1. They had a Chrysler master key 2. They jimmied the lock 3. I unlocked it when I put the keys in my pocket. I would prefer either theories 1 or 2 b/c I want to be mad a someone else, not myself. What really gets me is they did not take anything that was showing.

So, I can look at this two way. One, I'm out $650 bucks. Or two, I have saved $1800 in parking permit money over the past 3 years. There for, I'm still $1150 ahead, but I'm pissed! :mad:

I'm going in today to look at the tape so I can watch the jerk steel my stuff. My car is at the very limit of where one of cameras pans to, so I'm sure I will see something on the grainy picture from 2 blocks away.

In a nutshell, I'm getting a parking permit for the last quarter I'm here.

rpames said:
My mind has been changed about getting a parking permit for the garage. Yesterday some piece of crap broke into my car an stool my GPS navigation system. It was the mobil kind that can move from car to car. I had it in the console in the back seat. They didn't break a window or anything, but I know I locked. I specifically remember locking it as as I got out, and pushing the remote and hearing beep again when I got across the street. My theories are: 1. They had a Chrysler master key 2. They jimmied the lock 3. I unlocked it when I put the keys in my pocket. I would prefer either theories 1 or 2 b/c I want to be mad a someone else, not myself. What really gets me is they did not take anything that was showing.

So, I can look at this two way. One, I'm out $650 bucks. Or two, I have saved $1800 in parking permit money over the past 3 years. There for, I'm still $1150 ahead, but I'm pissed! :mad:

I'm going in today to look at the tape so I can watch the jerk steel my stuff. My car is at the very limit of where one of cameras pans to, so I'm sure I will see something on the grainy picture from 2 blocks away.

Can insurance cover you? Check out your house insurance or auto insurance. I know the one my dad has, the Home insurance covers my bike when i'm living in a rental at school.

Yes, renter's insurance will cover it. But, I have a $500 deductible. When called to make the claim they tried to talk me out of it b/c my claim was for about $1000. They said it was not big enough to really be worth it and it may count against me when I try to get a home owners policy. What a bunch of crap. I pay into the damn thing for 3 years and then when I make a claim, they try to convince me not to do it. I made the claim any way and they are sending me a check for $586.00. That won't cover my losses but it least it is something.

rpames said:
Yes, renter's insurance will cover it. But, I have a $500 deductible. When called to make the claim they tried to talk me out of it b/c my claim was for about $1000. They said it was not big enough to really be worth it and it may count against me when I try to get a home owners policy. What a bunch of crap. I pay into the damn thing for 3 years and then when I make a claim, they try to convince me not to do it. I made the claim any way and they are sending me a check for $586.00. That won't cover my losses but it least it is something.

If your deductible is only $500, is it really worth it to claim? Since your thing cost like $600. Won't the insurance company now know you've made a claim, and screw you over when you have to renew policy?

My claim is actually for $1000. The unit I got was a gift so I just found out the price. The insurance company is sending me a check for $589. I'm not to worried about putting in a claim because it is for about $1000 which usually does not cause a problem. I hate insurance companies, you pay and pay, year after year, and then when something happens you have to worry about getting cancelled or screwed later. You have to have it, but are afraid to use it.

rpames said:
Do first years typically have problems getting a garage parking permit at ICO? Does anyone know how soon the first years can get a parking permit? Thanks for any info!

There is not a problem getting a permit your first year. If I recall correctly, you sign up for a permit when you sign up for housing and all the other paper work you do before you get to school. If not then, you can just go up to security the day you get there and sign up then. The fee is $500 your first year for Fall, Winter, and Spring. Then your second & third year it is $600 b/c you are also there over the summer. During your 4th year you are only on campus one quarter, usually, so it is $150 a quarter. I was talking to a friend last night and he said he pays $196 per month up north for parking.