ICO Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tritongirl

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I wanted to get some info from those who have interviewed at ICO this cycle. What is the interview process like? Was it a more "relaxed" environment"? Is there still an essay portion this cycle? Or any other input you may have. Thank you and good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! Did you already schedule your interview?? I got the invitation email later in the afternoon when their admissions office was already closed.. So I will be calling them first thing in the morning!

Also hoping to hear some feedback on this thread!

Reactions: 1 users
There is an essay you have 10 minutes to write in the morning. They likely change the question but it's generally why optometry, why ICO etc. The interview is one on one, open file but I found it relaxed. My interviewer never asked me the typical interview questions (hence the essay) but was simply trying to get to know me and my motivations and all the questions asked always stemmed from an earlier topic so I was never caught off guard. Overall, it just felt like a back and forth conversation about yourself.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I've searched a bunch of threads regarding interviews at ICO (the essay, application review, tour, etc.) I was wondering if anyone who has interviewed can confirm that this is how interviews are being conducted this year. Or, if you have any other helpful information feel free to PM me! Thanks, best wishes to all :)

I interviewed there mid October and it was very chill. I believe it was me and two other students, parents are welcome too. First things start off with a casual presentation about the uni, costs, tuition, international students etc. After that there was a 10 min essay portion, why optom is suitable for you or like why ico. Nothing really crazy here, no real ethics or moral questions. Following essay we talked with some advisor and just waiting for the interview. It was 1 on 1 and I was with another dude who was super chill and we just chatted for about 45 mins. Overall very conversational, of course there will be questions about your journey to optometry and ico. It was an unconventional interview process but it was refreshing, make sure you can defend any discrepancies in your grades. Come prepared with some questions to follow up. I think the type of interview you get there is subject to the interviewer you have b/c one of the other students had a super quick interview compared to mine. After that there was a quick tour of the uni, eye institute, and rc conducted by some 2nd/3rd year students. Finally we had lunch and then peaced out!

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed there mid October and it was very chill. I believe it was me and two other students, parents are welcome too. First things start off with a casual presentation about the uni, costs, tuition, international students etc. After that there was a 10 min essay portion, why optom is suitable for you or like why ico. Nothing really crazy here, no real ethics or moral questions. Following essay we talked with some advisor and just waiting for the interview. It was 1 on 1 and I was with another dude who was super chill and we just chatted for about 45 mins. Overall very conversational, of course there will be questions about your journey to optometry and ico. It was an unconventional interview process but it was refreshing, make sure you can defend any discrepancies in your grades. Come prepared with some questions to follow up. I think the type of interview you get there is subject to the interviewer you have b/c one of the other students had a super quick interview compared to mine. After that there was a quick tour of the uni, eye institute, and rc conducted by some 2nd/3rd year students. Finally we had lunch and then peaced out!

Wow, thanks for the helpful info! Have you decided to attend?