ICO Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyedream82

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I need help! I just got an invitation for an interview from ICO. Does anyone out there have any suggestions for me? OK, here's a list of questions:

1. what should wear, what should i not wear?
2. If the interview is at 9 A.M., what time should at be at the school?
3. Generally, what information should i need to know ahead of time? Do i have to study the school's website to know about that school?
4. What topic should i prepare in mind for the interview?
5. What kind of questions should i expect?
6. How long is a typical interview? That is, how long will i actually spend talking to that person that's going to interview me?
7. I do have some background about optometry because i have and am working for an opth and opt right now. Is it good to talk to them about my clinical experiences?
8. Is it always good to ask them questions to keep the conversation going or just answer what they asked for?
9. Tell me more, tell me more...what should i need to do?:confused:

If anyone can answer any, if not all of these questions for me, i would be forever grateful!
:D
Luv you all,

Faith

Members don't see this ad.

welcome to the forums, congrats on the invitation! rpames and eyegirl are the ppl to ask about the ICO interview...use the search feature too, theres lotsa stuff from last year

Thanks a bunch! I will do that. If anyone else have any suggestions to the interviews in general, please feel free to speak!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Faith,

Congrats on getting the interview! I went through my interviews around this time last year, but it feels like 1,000 years ago now. ;) I didn't interview at ICO, but here are my general thoughts:

---1. what should wear, what should i not wear?

Dress conservatively -- pantsuit, skirtsuit, or jacket/slacks. You want to look neat and professional. Your appearance should not be the one thing they remember after you leave, as in, "I didn't know skirts could get that short!" ;)

---2. If the interview is at 9 A.M., what time should at be at the school?

Do a test-run arrival the day before the interview, if possible, so you won't have any surprises trying to find the place on the day of the interview.

---3. Generally, what information should i need to know ahead of time? Do i have to study the school's website to know about that school?

Always a good idea! You might get asked something like, "So what attracted you to our program?" and it's nice to be able to answer with something that shows you did a little research about the school -- "I was really impressed by the reputation of your Low Vision program," or whatever.

---6. How long is a typical interview? That is, how long will i actually spend talking to that person that's going to interview me?

I went on two interviews, and both of them were about 30-45 min for the one-on-one (or many-on-one...) parts.

---7. I do have some background about optometry because i have and am working for an opth and opt right now. Is it good to talk to them about my clinical experiences?

Absolutely. It'll come up during the interview.

---8. Is it always good to ask them questions to keep the conversation going or just answer what they asked for?

Just be yourself. (I always hate that advice, but it's true...) The interview is the opportunity for them to get to know you as a person and to evaluate whether you'll fit into and be successful as a student in their program. Part of the interview is about what you say, and part of it is about how you handle yourself -- are you poised and confident? mature? do you seem intelligent? etc.

If you haven't been on interviews before, or if you're feeling a little nervous about it, try doing some mock-interviews with your friends or parents. Some pre-professional committees offer mock interview programs, too. The more you practice being in an interview situation, the less nervous you'll feel about it when you're actually there.

Remember, you've already passed one gigantic hurdle by getting through their screening process to get an interview invitation!!! :)

Good luck! :) I'm sure rpames and eyegirl will have some great advice for you about ICO!

Hey thanks for the great advice r_salis! I have to admit that I've never really been on a real interview before except for the one time I had to talk to an office manager to get my job at an ophth & opt place, my current job. I guess you're so right there, it all boils down to just being yourself. I hope that keeps me going and I will take all of your advices! You've been a great help, thanks! Good luck with school.

Faith

"For we walk by faith, not by sight." -2Cor5:7

Did the fact that you guys post on SDN ever come up in your interviews?

Originally posted by J.opt
Did the fact that you guys post on SDN ever come up in your interviews?
Sort of -- when I was asked what I had done to learn about the profession, part of my answer was that I had "participated in online optometry forums". :D

Hey I agreed with r_salis. That's what I put in my essay on the part that asked for "how did you first learn about optometry." Just read the forum, check out opted.org for stats, and working for an MD and OD. When in doubt, just go to google.:cool:

-Faith

faith, when's your interview anyways? keep us posted on how it all goes :)

HighlyFanatic, my ICO interview is Friday-October 10th. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated for sure;) ! Meanwhile, let's keep our fingers crossed eh?:cool:

Originally posted by eyedream82
HighlyFanatic, my ICO interview is Friday-October 10th. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated for sure;) ! Meanwhile, let's keep our fingers crossed eh?:cool:

the fingers are crossed :D good luck! wouldnt that be crazy if were future classmates

Tony

btw, my interview is on October the 17th :)

hey eyedream82, do you live in Memphis? I applied to SCO and right now its one of my top choices mainly b/c the price, but I just wanted to ask you what you think of the area. I've spent all my life in the northeast, and I've never spent any time in "the south" (besides florida) and i'd like to hear more about it. Thanks (And anyone else feel free to chime in of course)

Petec,

Rrrrrrr, what can i tell you about Memphis....:rolleyes:

WEATHER: extremely humid in the summertime, the rest of the year is really nice. Snows like up to 6 inch 1 day in the year.

COST of living: it all depends. if you live close to downtown, like in mudisland, apartment can be very expensive. Elsewhere, price is relatively cheap. SCO doesn't have any dorms but there are lots apartments close. Overall, it is true that Memphis has a very low cost of living compare to other cities of the same size...

FOOD: Everything you ask for is all over town. cajun, chinese, itilian, seafood, and the best barbecue is here. Yum yum...ya gotta eat...

PARTY TIME: Beale street and downtown at night is awesome. I love sightseeing and dining at the downtown restaurants. Can't drink or clubbing yet cuz i'm not legal...but i heard there are some really nice clubs on Beale and Third Streets

GAMES: I'm no big sports fan. They have Redbird baseball, new stadium building right now for the Grizzlies, and Liberty Bowl for football...that's all i can think of :D

TRAFFIC: if ur gonna live close to SCO (which is like 3 miles from downtown), area traffic is not bad. Being that i've never been out of Memphis, i don't think that the traffic is bad overall as compared to Atlanta or LA.

SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY: :D Prepare for southern folks. I wasn't born here but i grew up here so i'm used to all...people are nice though.

I don't know what else to tell u unless u got more questions for me. Memphis has grown a lot over the last 5 years, population wise and business wise. Overall, i like the city but just because i've been here too long, i want to see what other cities are like. It would really be nice to be able to live elsewhere for awhile and then come back to Memphis.

By the way, have u heard from SCO yet? I just got an invitation for an interview 2 days ago and my interview will be in 2 weeks. I going to chicago next week and then Newenco and PCO in November so i bet it's gonna be way colder than Memphis...What state are you from?

- Faith

Hey eyedream,
I'm from the bustling metropolis of southern maine. (ehhem). So at this point I would be looking forward to live in any city cause I haven't experienced much of the urban life. Oh by the way, it looks like we're applying to pretty much the same schools! No I haven't heard from SCO yet but I have interviews set up in november with PCO and ICO so I'll have to bug you and see how you did with yours. Alright thanks for the response.
pete

Hey HF ---

Did you send in your UHCO app already?? I saw Dr Jackson going through apps with the other admissions people and I was going to put in a good word. ;) I told her if she saw a guy named Tony in there to just skip the interview and send you an acceptance letter. she laughed and said she'd think about it. :D :cool: :D I'm there for ya, man! :laugh:

:laugh: hey cpw, thats friggin awesome; also, thx but im a lil late with the application im sending mine off October 27th!

all these midterms, labs, and OAT studying...u know what i mean. good to know i have a helpin hand, i'll letchu know as soon as i send all my stuff away + keep u posted!! :D if i get into UHCO, i think we know where i'll end up going. ;)