ICO Off-Campus Housing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MRFREEZE

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys. I just received off-campus housing info. from ICO. I want to live close to the school, someplace safe, and not get completely screwed on rent. According to ICO's housing guide, it seems there are three places meeting my criteria:Bridgeport, Canaryville, and Brighton Park. Can anyone give me any insight into these three areas? Anywhere within these neighborhoods I should stay away from, or consider? Are there any other places to live w/in 5 to 15 min. of the school that are worth checking into?

Members don't see this ad.

Not Canaryville, in my opinion. Although, some people live there and are fine with it. In my experience, however, after having my car broken into three times in nine months and having juvenile derelicts fighting and smoking marijuana in the space alongisde the house constantly, I couldn't wait to move into the RC.

Eyegirl

Bridgeport would probably be the better choice. I'm not really familiar with Brighton Park so I can't say either way. I live in Canaryville, across the street from where Eyegirl lived. She is right that there are a bunch of little punks in the area, but I never have felt physically in danger. There is vandalism in the area, but what you can save on rent can pay for the chance egging of your car. Plus, there are a lot of ICO students in the area. Where I live there are 5 buildings all 3 stories and each apartment is one floor. In those 5 buildings there are 9 ICO students and 1 resident. With in 0.25 miles I can count about 15 ICO students.

What I did was make apointments with some renters and drove to Chicago for a day. I also went to ICO and talked to students at the school about where they suggested living. I ended up with I great apartment and some neighbors that I consider my best friends. If I could move us all about 15 blocks North, I would, but I would not leave my friends now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanx you guys for your comments and suggestions!!! Can't wait to get to Chicago and to start classes!:)

What's the rent like around ICO for a 1 bedroom apartment? How about rent for 1 BR apts in the safer areas, and how far are they from campus (walk/bus/drive)?

Bridgeport, Canaryville, and Brighton Park are the neighborhoods considered to be the least expensive by ICO. Bridgeport and Canaryville are the closest neighborhoods to ICO. Bridgeport and Canaryville 2bdrms. (1 bdrm. rental ranges for these areas not included in ICO's housing guide) run between $800 - 900. Rent for Brighton Park is between $350 - $600. Travel time from Bridgeport and Canaryville to ICO is 5 - 10 min. by car/bike ride. Brighton Park to ICO is 15 min. by car. This info. is from the 2004 ICO Off-Campus Housing Guide.
According to this guide, typical rents paid by ICO students are:
Studios: $450 - $1000
1 Bdrm: $450 - $1080
2 Bdrms: $700 - $1300
3 Bdrms: $1000 - $1725