ICO or NOVA - decisions...decisions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ODRUSCAN

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I have a dilemma. I got accepted to both ICO and NOVA, and I cannot decide which one to go to. I've done my research and weighed the pros and cons of each school (more or less). ICO has a strong reputation and clinic, whereas, NOVA is cheaper (overall around 20k cheaper for the entire 4 years) and you cant beat the location and weather.

Both Schools have state of the art facilities, wide patient variety, and high board passing rates (at least in the last few years).

I would like to hear some opinions and personal experiences from current students/alumni from both schools. specifically, I am interested in the quality of education, how good the profs are, the quality of the clinic and experiences during clinical evaluations, and how well you were prepared for board examinations.

Also, how important is school reputation after graduation? is it something i should be considering?

I know that a lot of this is subjective, but i think it will help my decision.

Thank you for your help,

ODRUSCAN.

Members don't see this ad.

wish I was in your shoes.. lol..

big thing would be cost..

next is the failure rate.. both are tough schools, but have heard that NOVA is no joke, and some students transfer to Puerto Rico in order to finish school.

I have visited ICO, and they have a GREAT support group. GREAT!!! I love every one of their admissions staff.

I really LOVED ICO, but i haven't been to NOVA. If you don't mind me asking, when were you interviewed and notified of your acceptance from ICO?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, ICO has an awesome faculty and the students seem very friendly. The people at NOVA very friendly as well.

As for the dropout rates. According to people on these forums - NOVA has a higher dropout rate. But i went to opted.org, and according to them, NOVA and ICO have very similar stats.

eyesee. To answer your question, I interviewed on the 8th of this month and got a reply (email) from Fran a week later. I'm supposed to receive the official letter of acceptance by mail.

Thanks guys. More experiences and insights are welcome.

I would choose the cheaper school because loan can add up pretty quick. NOVA have higher drop out rates because they have very intense course loads: 1st year credit hours- 21 Fall and 22 Spring and 6 first Summer. In my opinion, study hard and no school can fail you. You are not in high school anymore where your teachers call your parents to ask why you are not showing up to class or not doing well in school. You are an adult and you need to be responsible so if you fail don't blame on the school. NOVA is a located in a nice city and by the beach .. I heard ICO is in a pretty scary neighborhood. It's all up to you. good luck.

I would choose the cheaper school because loan can add up pretty quick. NOVA have higher drop out rates because they have very intense course loads: 1st year credit hours- 21 Fall and 22 Spring and 6 first Summer. In my opinion, study hard and no school can fail you. You are not in high school anymore where your teachers call your parents to ask why you are not showing up to class or not doing well in school. You are an adult and you need to be responsible so if you fail don't blame on the school. NOVA is a located in a nice city and by the beach .. I heard ICO is in a pretty scary neighborhood. It's all up to you. good luck.

Those "intense course loads" are average of most schools.