ICO Scholarships!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saloo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if ICO offer scholarships at all? If they do are they need base, merit base or both? I am trying to look it up on their website but I can't find it. :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if ICO offer scholarships at all? If they do are they need base, merit base or both? I am trying to look it up on their website but I can't find it. :idea:

Merit only, based on entering GPA. One is half of tuiton for for years, a few others are a quarter of tuition. There are a few other scholarships with different criteria, but they're not worth much.

who on sdn has received the scholarships... and what were your stats entering optometry school?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a good question @ broncos! I would like to know the stats too!

who on sdn has received the scholarships... and what were your stats entering optometry school?

In my class and the class ahead of me, both students receiving the president's scholarship (half of tuition) both had 4.0's, one from NYU ;)

Applying early in the cycle is also helpful

WOW, a 4.0. I wish i had that :D

I just recieved my acceptance letter to ICO today and was offered the Trustee's Scholarship and the minority populations scholarship (I'm 1/4 mexican and 1/4 Native American). Together they are for $8,000! How much is a semester/quarter tuition at ICO; I believe it is among the most expensive OD schools.

Anyhow, my stats are:

3.26 GPA; which is misleading in that my transcript has a comeback story: My first three years = 2.48 while my last three years = 3.68. I also graduacted with two degrees (General Biology and Biochemistry/Molecular Biology)

320 OAT, 330 TS (400 in biology)

Working as an optician/pretester/tech in an optometry office

Volunteer work, such as retirement homes, Big Brothers, Big Sisters, Tri-Beta Bio Honor Society, etc.

wow congrats eyeballerOD! that's awesome. I think ICO is 30,000 per year. 1 quarter is about $9000. :thumbup:

when do people normally find out about scholarships?

I just recieved my acceptance letter to ICO today and was offered the Trustee's Scholarship and the minority populations scholarship (I'm 1/4 mexican and 1/4 Native American). Together they are for $8,000! How much is a semester/quarter tuition at ICO; I believe it is among the most expensive OD schools.

Anyhow, my stats are:

3.26 GPA; which is misleading in that my transcript has a comeback story: My first three years = 2.48 while my last three years = 3.68. I also graduacted with two degrees (General Biology and Biochemistry/Molecular Biology)

320 OAT, 330 TS (400 in biology)

Working as an optician/pretester/tech in an optometry office

Volunteer work, such as retirement homes, Big Brothers, Big Sisters, Tri-Beta Bio Honor Society, etc.

WTF, 8 grand a year ? or 2 grand a year for 4 years ?

WTF, 8 grand a year ? or 2 grand a year for 4 years ?

Yep, $8,000 per academic school year. I just got accepted to SCO the other day, which was my first choice due to its lower tuition cost, program and facilities. The scholarship from ICO is definitely making me reconsider which school I will be going to.

I was informed of my scholarships in the acceptance letter. They also sent some information about each scholarship.

The scholarship from ICO is definitely making me reconsider which school I will be going to.
Which is the point of the scholarship...
They are few and far between at ICO, but used to encourage quality students to come to ICO over other schools.

Yep, $8,000 per academic school year. I just got accepted to SCO the other day, which was my first choice due to its lower tuition cost, program and facilities. The scholarship from ICO is definitely making me reconsider which school I will be going to.

I was informed of my scholarships in the acceptance letter. They also sent some information about each scholarship.

That's pretty sure. I would check out everything relevant to money...i.e taxes, car insurance (if you have one), convenience etc...after all, you are going to be living there for 4 years!

good luck :D

I just found out Saturday that I was offered a Presidential scholarship to ICO! It is half of tuition for all 4 years provided you keep a certain gpa etc.

wait... if the ICO scholarships are given out based on merit, would they particularly pick out few people to lure them towards ICO over other schools?

my point is...

Is that a second criteria for scholarships at ICO? Do they want someone with worse stats to choose ICO over another school... rather than someone with better stats who automatically committed to ICO from the start?

i'm getting thrown off.. lol.
(maybe I shouldn't have told them I would go to ICO no matter what.)

I just found out Saturday that I was offered a Presidential scholarship to ICO! It is half of tuition for all 4 years provided you keep a certain gpa etc.

may I ask what your gpa and OAT scores were?

I know there are a lot of people with better stats than me, but wanted to see where I should have been to get offered that scholarship.
me:
QR: 380
P: 360
RC:330
B:310
C: 340
OC: 340
TS: 350
AA:340

prereq gpa: 3.75
Cum gpa: 3.64

where do I stand for this 2012 class?

Broncos24--

My stats are:
TS: 360
AA: 360
GPA: 4.0

I also feel that the scholarship was based not only on merit but on the way you interacted with your interviewer. There are a few other scholarships I believe that you could be competitive for--I know for the presidential the criteria was 350 and a 3.5. I actually think I am turning it down though to go to UCBerkeley....maybe I'm crazy for doing so!!!!

thanks! and congrats with UCB!

I'm was actually born in cali and would have LOVED to go to any of the cali schools... (but I don't know too much about northern ca). Anyway, I decided to go to chicago since both the california schools don't accept NON-BACHELOR students. so sad.. :(