ICU Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2ndyear

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, my schedule finally came out and my second TY year rotation is SICU. I want to read in July for ICU, but I'll also need a more pocket reference too. My TY program gives decent book money so I may as well use it on stuff that will be handy in the future. Any thoughts on good books? Here's what I have come up with so far:

Marino's The ICU Book
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/te...userid=mHu1a2ztPa&isbn=0683055658&TXT=Y&itm=1

Lange Current Critical Care
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/te...asp?userid=mHu1a2ztPa&pwb=1&ean=9780838514542

Lange's Critical Care on Call
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/te...asp?userid=mHu1a2ztPa&pwb=1&ean=9780071373456

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I could use some info on this too. My first night of intern year I'm on call covering Surgery/Trauma ICU and CTICU. I've got upper level surgery backup if I need it, as long as he's not in the OR or in a trauma. Talk about trial by fire. Anyway what are some good ICU books?

I've found that Mosby's Practical Guide to the Care of the Critically Ill Patient by Joseph Varon is a great book. I would check it out.

Also, it is small enough to carry in your coat pocket.

Members don't see this ad :)
"The ICU Book" by Moreno is the Bible of the ICU.

However, it is a BIG book.

From, a fellow ICU sufferer.

I get to go home in 12 hours! :laugh:

Why aren't these labs coming back so I can go to bed? :laugh:

Does anyone have any other suggestions for SICU rotations, for an intern with limited experience ~ 1 month in the ICU. Any suggestions would be appreciated. LD

The next edition of The ICU Book by Marino will be out some time between June and October. Amazon lists June. LWW lists October. My money is on October.

I'm gonna need something before then, but thanks for the suggestion. I do have the current Marino and it is a good read.

thegasman said:
Hey I could use some info on this too. My first night of intern year I'm on call covering Surgery/Trauma ICU and CTICU. I've got upper level surgery backup if I need it, as long as he's not in the OR or in a trauma. Talk about trial by fire. Anyway what are some good ICU books?

I like the "if I need it" part. :laugh: Just teasing gasman. Good luck, keep the Marino book in your bag for if you if have time to look something up and actually think about it and the Tarascon pocket book for quick reference. I've found it especially helpful for how to start all those dang drips.

I read a lot of Uptodate articles when I first started in the ICU during residency. If your institution has a site license it's probably cheaper than buying a textbook. Keep in mind most of the stuff that gets bantered about during rounds is in the literature so your reading time may be better spent reading those studies. Also realize there's a huge lag time between the time that a textbook chapter is written and its actual publication date. The "latest" critical care textbook may be 2 years out of date on the day it first hits the shelf.

There's usually a folder or list or CD which has a bunch of recommended reading in any ICU. Just look for the dustiest shelf with the stuff that's never been used and you'll find it there.

Agreed, uptodate articles are the best and most recent. For example, you can look up things like the latest on ARDS, ventilator modes, types of shock, pressors, how to read swans and tracings etc...The ICU book is very old and I would hope that we have progressed a little bit since 1997.

Texas12345 said:
Agreed, uptodate articles are the best and most recent. For example, you can look up things like the latest on ARDS, ventilator modes, types of shock, pressors, how to read swans and tracings etc...The ICU book is very old and I would hope that we have progressed a little bit since 1997.

Thanks Tex, I was leaning towards just using Up to Date, so hopefully that and my pocket Tarascon and Marino should be fine.

hi!

i really like critical care handbook of the massachusetts general hospital

A good handy pocket reference (fairly large pocket reference) is:

Manual of Intensive Care Medicine by Rippe