ICU handbook?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoofyDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm doing my first ICU month in September and was wondering if anybody had any recommendations as far handbooks are concerned. I'd like something to prepare me as well as to serve as a quick reference during my ICU time. TIA.

Members don't see this ad.

The ONLY ICU book to have is Marino's - well respected, easily available and has been used for years.

If however, you are looking for a "handbook" - ie, something that will fit into your pocket (which Marino will not), I liked the Cleveland Clinic series.

I vote for Marino as well.

Critical Care Secrets isnt bad either.

Kimberli Cox said:
If however, you are looking for a "handbook" - ie, something that will fit into your pocket (which Marino will not), I liked the Cleveland Clinic series.
Yes, that's what I meant. I can easily get the Marino's book, but I see so many different "guides" I was wondering if anyone has tried them and could give an opinion. I'll look into the Cleveland Clinic series. Thanks for the tip.

The Tarascon's pocketbook isn't bad either. Lots of helpful tables and graphics.

I loved Marino's "The ICU Book." But the chapter on wedge pressure was trying. I was never big into the minuscule little details of cardiovascular physiology, but the chapter was essentially over my head. It was structured so that each paragraph would say, "Pulmonary Capillary Wedge Pressure is not such and such pressure or volume" And then an explanation of when it is and when it isn't equal to whatever other measure.