ICU Rotation (for MS-4)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in doing a ICU rotation, and am having difficulty finding an adequate amount of locations to apply to.

I am interested in an ICU-subinternship or a Critical Care rotation which allows me time in the different types of ICU's.

I would preferably like to go somewhere driveable from where I live (i.e. Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas.) Other benefits that would be extremely helpful include provided housing & meals (or a good deal.)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if they still accept outside students, but the surgical critical care rotations at Memorial Health University Medical Center in Savannah is an awesome rotation. I highly recommend it. You can find info at www.memorialhealth.com. It's a Level I trauma center, 600 beds or so, with a 20-bed surgical/trauma ICU and a 15-bed neurosurg ICU. Trauma patients are housed in both units.

The teaching is very good, and the procedures are incredible. I ended up with about 30 central lines, 6 chest tubes, a couple percutaneous trachs, a needle chest decompression, an emergent thoracotomy (where I was the one being walked through the procedure by an attending), and a couple bedside PEG's.

No call for the rotation, or at least when I did it. You get 4 days off during the month, but otherwise work 7 days/week from about 4 am til 7 pm.

Again, I highly recommend it unless it's changed recently. Perhaps proman can comment on the rotation since he has done it more recently than I have.

Members don't see this ad :)
southerndoc said:
I'm not sure if they still accept outside students, but the surgical critical care rotations at Memorial Health University Medical Center in Savannah is an awesome rotation. I highly recommend it. You can find info at www.memorialhealth.com. It's a Level I trauma center, 600 beds or so, with a 20-bed surgical/trauma ICU and a 15-bed neurosurg ICU. Trauma patients are housed in both units.

The teaching is very good, and the procedures are incredible. I ended up with about 30 central lines, 6 chest tubes, a couple percutaneous trachs, a needle chest decompression, an emergent thoracotomy (where I was the one being walked through the procedure by an attending), and a couple bedside PEG's.

No call for the rotation, or at least when I did it. You get 4 days off during the month, but otherwise work 7 days/week from about 4 am til 7 pm.

Again, I highly recommend it unless it's changed recently. Perhaps proman can comment on the rotation since he has done it more recently than I have.

It may have been dropped... i looked through the catalog for visiting student electives... the surgery department only offers:

Advanced General Surgery (R/E)
Trauma Surgery (R/E)
Colorectal Surgery (R/E)
Neurosurgery (R/E)
Ophthalmology (R/E)
Orthopaedic Surgery (R/E)
Otolaryngology (R/E)
Pediatric Surgery (R/E)
Plastic Surgery (E)

the only ICU rotation I see in the file is a PICU rotation...

Were there any interns or residents on the service? Im assuming not and thats why the students got so many procedures. How many students were rotating with you that month? This sounds like an awesome rotation. I wish I would have heard about it before I did SICU at my home school.

StudentDoc327 said:
Were there any interns or residents on the service? Im assuming not and thats why the students got so many procedures. How many students were rotating with you that month? This sounds like an awesome rotation. I wish I would have heard about it before I did SICU at my home school.

It hasn't been dropped. It might not be open to visiting students anymore.

There is one or two residents rotating through, but they get so many procedures during their intern year (chest tubes in the trauma bay, doing central lines on private patients in the hospital, etc.) that they pass all the procedures to students. I rotated with another student on the rotation, and she and I basically split the procedures 50/50 no matter who was following the patient.

You can email the coordinator and see if they still offer it for visiting students.