Ideal Jobs in College

grapp

EMT-A Firefighter
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm currently a senior in high school and have thought about working while attending college full-time, while manging some pre-requisites.

I am considering the possibility of being an EMT (emergency medical technician) on a university ambulance to help pay off my school while possibly still making an income. Are there any other ideal jobs you might recommend to help me with my medical school app?

I really enjoy the emt/paramedic idea, I'm just looking for lots of options so I can decide the best one for me.

What have you guys done?
Anything you wish you would've done in college?

Members don't see this ad.

Will you be eligible for a work-study program? That changes some of the opportunities that are available to you on-campus. Flexibility is so important in college jobs and work-study positions are specifically set up to allow that.

Reactions: 1 user
I worked as an American Red Cross instructor and a lifeguard for my first couple years of college. Gave me flexibility with my schedule, and helped pay the bills.

Members don't see this ad :)
n=1. My roommate works as a clinical trials coordinator for the VA next to our UG (UCSD). He has been there for about 2 years now and vouches that the department has high attrition because employees leave after med school acceptances LOL. Its a decent paying job and you get tons of physician and patient contact as well as phlebotomy exposure if you are lucky.

n=1. My roommate works as a clinical trials coordinator for the VA next to our UG (UCSD). He has been there for about 2 years now and vouches that the department has high attrition because employees leave after med school acceptances LOL. Its a decent paying job and you get tons of physician and patient contact as well as phlebotomy exposure if you are lucky.
Lol that's cool, I will definetely keep that in mind.

Will you be eligible for a work-study program? That changes some of the opportunities that are available to you on-campus. Flexibility is so important in college jobs and work-study positions are specifically set up to allow that.
I'm looking into working on the campus ambulance, but hopefully; I could land a job on campus. Thanks for the tip! :)

I worked as an American Red Cross instructor and a lifeguard for my first couple years of college. Gave me flexibility with my schedule, and helped pay the bills.
Also, another great idea. Thanks for the idea.

Do well in some introductory course and be a tutor/peer tutor/TA. Mad money, easy work (explaining bonding trends to starry-eyed freshmen chicks), helps you stay fresh on the material for the MCAT later on.

Do well in some introductory course and be a tutor/peer tutor/TA. Mad money, easy work (explaining bonding trends to starry-eyed freshmen chicks), helps you stay fresh on the material for the MCAT later on.
Awesome, lol. That was one of the ideas I had, I'm considering that for sure. :)

I had a friend work as a CNA at our university hospital throughout his four years of undergrad. Any clinical experience would give you a much better idea of whether medicine is for you or not. Some hospital jobs are fairly flexible, but probably not as flexible as a work study job through your school though. So it's a balancing act of getting the experience and also setting up a lifestyle where you have the time you need to do well in school still. That takes self awareness and knowledge of what you need personally!

You can always take gap years after college to get the experience if you don't have it, so grades are the priority imo. It's not a bad idea to wait on the clinical/research jobs until sophomore or junior year also, since your freshman year can be a big change from high school.

It's great you are asking these questions now! It will help you find something great!