Ideas for Anesthesia interest group meetings with Program directors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djsbaseball2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am a current second year medical student and am the president of my schools Anesthesia Interest group. I have been emailing a bunch of Program Directors at residency programs to host Zoom meetings with our group during COVID 19 and surprisingly I have gotten a lot of responses. I am trying to avoid the mundane "Question and Answer" style sessions that we have had in the past and wanted to get some ideas as to what I could do to make the meetings more engaging/informative. Some ideas i had were:

• "Day in the life of a resident"-where i ask the PDs to see if any residents could speak to us about their daily routines, "bread and butter" cases, residency life, etc
  • Case studies/educational events-potentially work through a clinical scenario and learn a bit more about the art of anesthesia as a medical specialty
I'm really open to other things related to anesthesia that med students may find interesting and can be done over zoom.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly the things you mentioned are things anesthesia residents and faculty who are not also a program director can facilitate. The best bang for your buck and the best use of the unique perspective of a PD is going to be information provision from the PD about what they desire in a candidate, demystifying the interview and ranking process, etc

Reactions: 3 users