Ideas for Computer Science ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnston9234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Im a rising junior Computer Science major. I was recently thinking about what could be done with my CS degree as far as ECs are concerned. Software Development (and Web Development) is a great field in the sense that you can do just about anything with it provided you have the content.

I had a few ideas and I was wondering if there was really a need for them.

• A well designed app that covers all the premed topics and published on the App Store + Play Store (theoretically great content and well presented). I am tutoring through SI so this would sort of play off that.
  • A website that covers all the prereqs.
I think I could do other things but I just haven't thought of it well enough. Perhaps things that directly benefit those who are disadvantaged. Do you guys have any suggestions that would be of value?

I think the website actually would be neat since it would help aleviate the need for premeds to be forced to purchase an expensive study book.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't what you described basically Khan Academy? If you're just doing this as a school project, there may be easier topics as there is a LOT of pre-med content. If you want this to grow beyond a school project, the major battle you have is gaining usership over sites like Khan Academy and SDN itself that already have a "brand name" if you will.

As another idea, a good project that is Medicine-related would be a EMR (electronic medical record) program.

As another idea, a good project that is Medicine-related would be a EMR (electronic medical record) program.

There is significant legal issues with bringing an EMR program to market.

Isn't what you described basically Khan Academy? If you're just doing this as a school project, there may be easier topics as there is a LOT of pre-med content. If you want this to grow beyond a school project, the major battle you have is gaining usership over sites like Khan Academy and SDN itself that already have a "brand name" if you will.

Khan Academy is good, but I would mostly be doing it for Organic Chemistry. Khan Academy is intructional, however it doesn't do much as far as providing question banks. Mine would theoretically provide question banks with explanations. SDN wouldnt really be my competition. This is a forum.

You are right though. This is mostly a project at this stage. There are probably better ideas but I am still in the brainstorming phase.

Last edited:
Every non profit, community group, local church, organization has technology needs and would love to get their hands on a geeks with skills to volunteer time, effort, expertise, etc.

That actually sounds like a better avenue now that I think about it. Finding an organization that has a technology need.