ideas for improvement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starkcrazy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i did a search and was only able to find bits and pieces. if you find another thread with appropriate information, please redirect.

in july, i'll be starting rotations. i've been thinking about my personality and how to make 3rd year go more smoothly.

i'm usually a very calm person but get intimidated by certain situations. i would say i'm an extrovert but only to an extent... sometimes i almost feel like there's a shell that i like to retreat back into when situations get intimidating (this is funny considering my zodiac sign is cancer, the crab). also, i'm not the best with public speaking. my voice gets soft like i have a sore throat. i know i need to toughen up. i'm just worried that i'm going to be lost amidst the aggressive students and the most outgoing ones...

basically, i'd like some help on how i can improve and prepare myself for rotations. i'm willing to change and push myself out of my comfort zone. any ideas/advice??

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys, i did a search and was only able to find bits and pieces. if you find another thread with appropriate information, please redirect.

in july, i'll be starting rotations. i've been thinking about my personality and how to make 3rd year go more smoothly.

i'm usually a very calm person but get intimidated by certain situations. i would say i'm an extrovert but only to an extent... sometimes i almost feel like there's a shell that i like to retreat back into when situations get intimidating (this is funny considering my zodiac sign is cancer, the crab). also, i'm not the best with public speaking. my voice gets soft like i have a sore throat. i know i need to toughen up. i'm just worried that i'm going to be lost amidst the aggressive students and the most outgoing ones...

basically, i'd like some help on how i can improve and prepare myself for rotations. i'm willing to change and push myself out of my comfort zone. any ideas/advice??

thanks!

take a couple Jägerbombs before you hit the wards every morning - liquid courage baby!! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
clearly this thread is filled with some of the wittiest remarks i have read in my entire life, ok well if anybody has any serious advice...

Don't be afraid to be wrong.

Yeah, good advice. Just force yourself to answer questions with your best guess. Most times you will be right, and if you are wrong, no one will notice, care, or remember. The only wrong answer is no answer. Being forgettable and not getting to know the attending are surefire routes to poor clinical grades.

I think a lot of people are naturally introverted, we just learn as we go that it has no useful value and have to overcome it.
It's hard to be confidant especially when you start out with patients while under the scrutiny of three or four 'real' doctors.
Take a deep breath, and practice, practice, practice whenever you can. Once you gain experience your nervousness should disappear.
And yes, don't be afraid to be wrong. Wrong is better than a student who doesn't even try.

Good luck.:)

thanks guys, i really appreciate the constructive feedback! am saving this thread for future reference.