Ideas for interactive presentation to 1st grade class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted128562

So my kid's 1st grade class is having parents come in to talk about their jobs this week, and I'm up in a couple days. We get about half an hour, and are supposed to make it interactive if possible. I was thinking to teach them how to do an ED thoracotomy. I kid, I kid.

But seriously, any ideas for a good interactive project that I can put together in the next couple of days that would be interesting and relevant for 1st graders?

Members don't see this ad.

Just did this.

Show some cool X-rays. At this age, probably just normals. Ask them if they can guess what body part.

Bring in some rubber gloves (blow up and make a balloon. "Cool! You made a chicken!")

Stethoscope: see if they can guess what it is, then let them hear their own heart.

Band aids (sounds dumb, but cool if the Barbie and/or Spider-Man kind, and you're 7, "awesome, stickers!")

Get a "What doctors do" book (10-12 pages kinda thing) on amazon and read it to them.

Bring in a 20 cc syringe ("this is for shots, but look, you can make a squirt gun out of it!" with water in it, obviously)

Bring a $15 home BP cuff from a drug store, show them how to check BP.

Bring in a 10 second digital thermometer (with the sheaths so no contamination)

Any spine, bone, or other cool model that you might have would be cool, also.

Most importantly, tell them about the scourges of throughput times, Press Ganey, student loans, circadian rythm shifts and medical malpractice lawyers and..Just kidding! Keep it fun, and innocent.

At the end, open it up for a few minutes of questions and smile as, instead of getting questions, you get 10 different versions of, "My brother had to go the ER to get a Lego taken out of his nose. Twice! It was cool!"

My kid still remembers this, and I found myself strangely less cynical and somewhat refreshed about profession afterwards. You'll be a minor hero for doing this. I'm glad I did it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did a show and tell for my son in his elementary school a few years back. The biggest hit was when I broke out the plaster and webril and showed them how to make a splint (with him as my patient). The plaster is nice and messy, which makes it significantly cooler to a bunch of little kids than Ortho-Glass.

Get a pediatric cervical collar/oxygen mask and invite them to try 'em on.

Last edited:
Would have to disagree with the CPR demo. These are little kids and will likely add krav maga or some other sort of martial arts to the CPR demonstration and start practicing on each other. Next thing you know, you're getting sued for being an CPR instructor without a proper license. To make it even better, the next show and tell parent will probably be a malpractice lawyer.

Birdstrike had some really good ideas.

blaufuss.com has great colorful pictures with heart sounds. obviously the sounds are advanced but you can change the anatomy of the heart with the sounds so it's kinda cool for kids. they all can use their ipads and play

or you can tell them is the ending of street fighter when sub zero rips your heart out

Thanks so much for the great ideas everyone! I am going to use several of them. The class had a stockbroker come yesterday, and he brought goodie bags. My kid can't tell me what he does, but he thinks the guy is pretty awesome. So if all else fails there's always that.... lol

Reactions: 1 user
if medicine fails just tell the kids your a garbageman, bring oscar the grouch and put on a puppet show. then tell them you work short hours and have a cool truck that does all the work for you so all you do is watch it all day while hanging off on the side going for a ride. you'll be a star

No contribution here, but let us know what you do/how it goes. Sounds like it could be fun!

Perfect timing for this post! I'm scheduled for second graders next week.

Lots of blood, maybe a few body parts. The picture of the guy who shot himself in a failed suicide attempt and now is missing half his face would be a good finish.

Remember, your goal is to traumatize them just enough so they decide to become hedge fund managers.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
or you can tell them is the ending of street fighter when sub zero rips your heart out

Sub-zero was from Mortal Kombat... that giant street fighter wannabe that relied on lots of gore to cover up poor gameplay and redundancy with characters/movesets.

sorry... the martial-arts game nerd in me just had to object.

SF2 (infinitely better than) MK.

Sub-zero was from Mortal Kombat... that giant street fighter wannabe that relied on lots of gore to cover up poor gameplay and redundancy with characters/movesets.

sorry... the martial-arts game nerd in me just had to object.

SF2 (infinitely better than) MK.

FINISH HIM!!!!!

So my kid's 1st grade class is having parents come in to talk about their jobs this week, and I'm up in a couple days. We get about half an hour, and are supposed to make it interactive if possible. I was thinking to teach them how to do an ED thoracotomy. I kid, I kid.

But seriously, any ideas for a good interactive project that I can put together in the next couple of days that would be interesting and relevant for 1st graders?
How did it go?

How did it go?
Sorry, forgot to come back here and report!

I think it went really well based on kids telling my son he has "the coolest dad ever". (Good thing they don't really know me). I took your advice on some of the activities, and kept it as interactive as possible. Started out just briefly telling them in simple terms what I do and how you become a doctor. Then I asked them how you can get to the ED, and why you might come to the ED. (They had lots of answers, but none of them said "to get narcotics and a work note" or "because you're so drunk you crapped yourself and exposed your private parts to a police officer", so maybe there's hope for the world). Then we ran through some 1st-grade appropriate scenarios with one of the kids playing the patient, and the others getting to do things like listen to heart and lungs, look at a chest xray, pretend to put in an IV and give medicine, and so forth. I also brought an old t-shirt and the kids got to use trauma shears to cut it off my kid who had a "shoulder injury", which they seemed to think was really fun. I used my kid as the patient for that one as I figured if his good clothes (or he) got cut, I'd only be in trouble with my wife as opposed to some other kid's parents.

Then we did several "guess the body parts" xrays. Most were simple, but I threw a couple tougher ones in there and they were actually able to guess them! I was really impressed! I let them ask questions and tell me about their own ED visits. Finally, I told them that we eat a lot of doughnuts at my ED, hence I brought them all some doughnuts to eat. (I'm never above buying someone's good opinion of me. Press-Gainey has taught me that).

All in all it was a good half hour and I'm glad I had the chance to do it. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!!

Reactions: 7 users