Ideas to boost med school application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hogs45

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a Premed student at the University of Arkansas. I will be a sophomore this fall and wanted to start early doing things so I can have the best application I can possibly have. During the school year my time is stretched pretty thin because I am an athlete at the University and don't even get to come home for the summer till the middle of June (Home is in Nebraska). I just am lost as to what else I can do with the time I have. I have been shadowing multiple orthopedic spine, shoulder and knee surgeons this summer for about 60 plus hours so far. The main doctor I am shadowing is also on the admissions committee at Creighton Medical School so I think that could also help. I have been volunteer coaching at a local track and field club that I used to run for three times a week since I've been home.

Any ideas would be extremely helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Keep your GPA up

2. Get some sort of clinical experience - volunteer at an ED, hospice, anything like that

3. Do some non-clinical volunteering that interests you

4. Try out research and see if it strikes your fancy

Reactions: 1 user
I am currently a Premed student at the University of Arkansas. I will be a sophomore this fall and wanted to start early doing things so I can have the best application I can possibly have. During the school year my time is stretched pretty thin because I am an athlete at the University and don't even get to come home for the summer till the middle of June (Home is in Nebraska). I just am lost as to what else I can do with the time I have. I have been shadowing multiple orthopedic spine, shoulder and knee surgeons this summer for about 60 plus hours so far. The main doctor I am shadowing is also on the admissions committee at Creighton Medical School so I think that could also help. I have been volunteer coaching at a local track and field club that I used to run for three times a week since I've been home.

Any ideas would be extremely helpful!
GPA/MCAT are foremost.
Shadow doctors that aren't ortho (EVERYONE loves ortho until the match), and don't assume your shadowing doctor will play any role in admissions at all.
Research/publications
Clinical/non-clinical volunteering. LOTS of it.
Cool ECs. Be really good at your sport if possible.

I'd also try to get AR residence, their med school interviews like everyone and accepts 49% of ALL IS applicants....not gonna get better than that.

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA/MCAT are foremost.
Shadow doctors that aren't ortho (EVERYONE loves ortho until the match), and don't assume your shadowing doctor will play any role in admissions at all.
Research/publications
Clinical/non-clinical volunteering. LOTS of it.
Cool ECs. Be really good at your sport if possible.

I'd also try to get AR residence, their med school interviews like everyone and accepts 49% of ALL IS applicants....not gonna get better than that.
AR matriculates 39.3% of IS applicants.
Nebraska matriculates 39.2%. https://www.aamc.org/download/321466/data/factstable5.pdf

I agree that OP need some longitudinal care experience, though.