Identity theft alerts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys use to protect your identity from fraud?

I've been thinking about how over the years the cell phone company, banks, criminal background checks for apartment rentals, even the cable company have had my social security. What do you use to protect yourself? I've been thinking about getting something as a fellow just got his frauded big time and found out someone opened up a bunch of accounts and charged 60 grand to his name. Scary stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

What do you guys use to protect your identity from fraud?

I've been thinking about how over the years the cell phone company, banks, criminal background checks for apartment rentals, even the cable company have had my social security. What do you use to protect yourself? I've been thinking about getting something as a fellow just got his frauded big time and found out someone opened up a bunch of accounts and charged 60 grand to his name. Scary stuff.

I have Lifelock now. My bank provides it to me for free. Prior to that I did not have anything. The only thing I did then, that I still continue to do now, is watch my bank accounts and credit card balances regularly. I also shred any applications I receive as well as anything that has my social security number or credit card number or bank account number on it (and that I don't need to keep).

Lifelock will periodically send notices that your accounts are in good status.

've been thinking about getting something as a fellow just got his frauded big time and found out someone opened up a bunch of accounts and charged 60 grand to his name. Scary stuff.

How this can happen in a first world country is beyond me :eek:
Crazy that this is such a big thing in the US but completely non existent in Europe :confused: