idiotope vs paratope and Epitope vs Hapten...Hapten relation to drug allergy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

learnconcepts

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

Hello all...I have confusion between IDIOTOPE & PARATOPE
I have idea of epitope which is binding part of antigen

BUT kaplan says if epitope of LMW and which binds with only 1 Bcell ereceptor will not behave as epitope and it is considered HAPTEN

I got drug allergy concept with HAPTEN-carrier conjugate(immunogen)..Hapten relation to drug allergy...plz explain this with examples

But plz explain in simple way idiotope vs paratope and Epitope/Hapten...confusing here a lot...

Everyone plz participate in this concept...am confused...its good to share ideas on this concept which is not quite common to all

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

plz help me with above concept...they are confusing me a lot...especially Bcell receptors binding to antigen...B-cell have 2 immunoglobulins and each have 2 FAB segments..my doubt is wheteher how many antigens bind Bcell and Bcell receptors(Bcell have 2 immunoglobulins/BCR)...totally confused:confused:

Hello everyone

Hello all...I have confusion between IDIOTOPE & PARATOPE
I have idea of epitope which is binding part of antigen

BUT kaplan says if epitope of LMW and which binds with only 1 Bcell ereceptor will not behave as epitope and it is considered HAPTEN

I got drug allergy concept with HAPTEN-carrier conjugate(immunogen)..Hapten relation to drug allergy...plz explain this with examples

But plz explain in simple way idiotope vs paratope and Epitope/Hapten...confusing here a lot...

Everyone plz participate in this concept...am confused...its good to share ideas on this concept which is not quite common to all

thanks in advance

A paratope is a specific part of the Antigent-binding site on an Immunoglobulin, this part binds to an epitope.
An epitope is those parts on an antigen, which can be recognized by the paratope.
1 Immunoglobulin has 2 Antigen-binding sites on the Fab region, each one of these Antigen-binding sites can bind to several points on 1 antigen, these points are called epitopes.
A monomeric (1 monomer) Immunoglobulin like IgG can bind 2 Antigens while a secreted IgA can bind 4 antigens in its dimeric form and 2 Antigens in its monomeric form circulating in your blood stream.

If IgM binds an Antigen on 2-3 epitopes (2-3 points on the same antigen) it displays less affinity than the binding of the same antigen to the Antigen-binding site of an IgG where the Antigen-binding site binds to more than 3 epitopes on the same antigen.

A B cell receptor consists of 2 parts, it is basically an IgM or IgD bound to the cell-surface of a B-cell + a signal-transduction complex.

A paratope is a specific part of the Antigent-binding site on an Immunoglobulin, this part binds to an epitope.
An epitope is those parts on an antigen, which can be recognized by the paratope.
1 Immunoglobulin has 2 Antigen-binding sites on the Fab region, each one of these Antigen-binding sites can bind to several points on 1 antigen, these points are called epitopes.
A monomeric (1 monomer) Immunoglobulin like IgG can bind 2 Antigens while a secreted IgA can bind 4 antigens in its dimeric form and 2 Antigens in its monomeric form circulating in your blood stream.

If IgM binds an Antigen on 2-3 epitopes (2-3 points on the same antigen) it displays less affinity than the binding of the same antigen to the Antigen-binding site of an IgG where the Antigen-binding site binds to more than 3 epitopes on the same antigen.

A B cell receptor consists of 2 parts, it is basically an IgM or IgD bound to the cell-surface of a B-cell + a signal-transduction complex.

Thank u
But one doubt..B cell receptor can have either igM or igD...its ok..but my question now is as follows..suppose Bcell have igM and we know igM have 2Fab regions...so it means 2 antigens binds to 2 Fab regions of igM..i mean 1 antigen to 1Fab and other antigen at other Fab of same igM...hope u got me:)