IDK how surgeons do it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctoscope

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently had an opportunity to shadow an ortho surgeon at an outpatient surgery center.

The smell, the general vibe of the OR, feet hurting, needing to pee, every anatomical part looking the same... and I can't even imagine the pressure of actually cutting someone open and having their life in your hands.

Mad respect to surgeons who have mastered these skills, but I know 1 field I'm for sure not going into.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Recently had an opportunity to shadow an ortho surgeon at an outpatient surgery center.

The smell, the general vibe of the OR, feet hurting, needing to pee, every anatomical part looking the same... and I can't even imagine the pressure of actually cutting someone open and having their life in your hands.

Mad respect to surgeons who have mastered these skills, but I know 1 field I'm for sure not going into.
Smell?

I feel like you'll get used to the feet hurting and need to pee eventually

Anatomy is learned in med school so it feels so overwhelming

The pressure of cutting someone open is second nature to them. The more procedures we observe or assist with, the more it will feel second nature

All I'm saying is.: try not to let one experience take it off the table for good

Members don't see this ad :)
You just have to see whether you love it or not. Most people get turned off by surgery fairly early on.

Meaning no disrespect to the surgeons but your life is in the hands of the anesthesiologist. ;) They don't seem to do much during an uneventful procedure but when the 5hit hits the fan, they are going to fight to keep you alive.

Meaning no disrespect to the surgeons but your life is in the hands of the anesthesiologist. ;) They don't seem to do much during an uneventful procedure but when the 5hit hits the fan, they are going to fight to keep you alive.

This is scary. One typically doesn't select the anesthesiologist for a surgical procedure.