• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

If a school does not explicitly ask "Why X School", is it still important to embed that answer into your secondaries?

Moko

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2015
DOGE College of Medicine
  1. Attending Physician
Like for UTSW, there's no Why X secondary. I made mentions here and there, but nothing too substantial. I'm just curious if there's some implicit/hidden rule to answer "Why X", even if they don't ask.
If a school cared for that answer, they would have asked for it. If you have a strong reason for wanting to attend a particular school though (e.g geographic limitations due to family or spouse, etc), then you should try to make it known. Otherwise, I would leave it be. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 4 users
About the Ads

M&L

Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2018
  1. Medical Student
agree. Dont put it there. Everyone applies to multiple schools nowadays.

UNLESS> Put it there if it is REALLY special, - for example, your dad and granddad went to this school, and you want to make your family proud, or some sort of amazing researcher works in the school and you have followed him/her for years, or it is your state school, and home is important. Basically, applying to medical school is like dating, - if you tell every person why they are special, ppl wont believe you. If you tell only one person why they are the one (and mean it!!!!!), it shows your commitment .

MedSchoolTutors

Top MCAT/USMLE/COMLEX Tutors Answer Your Questions
Vendor
2+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2019
www.medschooltutors.com
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
  3. Attending Physician
If a school cared for that answer, they would have asked for it. If you have a strong reason for wanting to attend a particular school though (e.g geographic limitations due to family or spouse, etc), then you should try to make it known. Otherwise, I would leave it be. Just my thoughts.
Agreed. Some schools, Cooper comes to mind, are mission schools and look for that stuff.

Otherwise, only add it is there's some discrete benefit to doing so. If it's your hometown, you have a distinct or unique connection. Don't make it feel forced.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.