If accepted would a W hurt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Habbas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im currently doing immunology (not a pre-req) and the course isnt going so hot (ill get a B-/C+), and the last day to drop the course without academic penalty is friday.

At the same time if accepted, I dont want a potential school to see the W and revoke the acceptance.

Should i stick it or drop?

Members don't see this ad.

Im currently doing immunology (not a pre-req) and the course isnt going so hot (ill get a B-/C+), and the last day to drop the course without academic penalty is friday.

At the same time if accepted, I dont want a potential school to see the W and revoke the acceptance.

Should i stick it or drop?

I think it's okay as long as you update your courses for the academic update period.

If that courses bothers you, I would just call the schools first (those you interviewed with) and ask if you can drop your course. If they say yes, go for it.

hmmm i might stick with it, i dont think a B- will be a huge issue to schools

whens the academic update period? i have yet to add my courses that im doing this term

Members don't see this ad :)
a B-/ C+ is not that big of a deal.. i would keep the course. A school shouldn't reject you cuz you got a C+.

Academic update starts November 16th

A B- will look much better than a W. I think they'll have more respect for you if you stick with it than if you dropped it cuz you didnt see a favourable ending in sight. Just my opinion.

It's all really going to depend on your situation, if you have a history of withdrawals, admissions officers may look unfavorably on your current withdrawal. However if you don't have any withdrawals I don't see it as a problem. I would definitely check with the school. If you do get questioned about the withdrawal if you decide to take that route you could say you took too many upper division classes and it was too much of a load for you.

If your GPA is pretty high just stick it out. If your fighting an uphill battle and trying to bring up your GPA I would drop it. Unless you already have several withdrawals. I think the first thing admission will do is sift through their stacks of application based on GPA and DAT in order to determine interview invites.

a W is not as big of a deal as many people make it out to be. it shouldn't be a problem to drop the class. like others have said prior to my post, a few W's here and there won't even be noticed. now if you have tons of W's already then it looks suspicious, but even it's very very very unlikely that an acceptance would be revoked bc of one more W.

A W is not bad at all esp if its like ur second or third one. as long as u dont have a long history of Ws u should be fine. I actually dropped a 2 credit lab because my instructor was a douche and basically made me choose between goin to my interviews or goin to his lab. U will be fine :)