If an interviewer asks about other schools to which you've applied...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osli

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen this question come up before, with most people saying they would respond with something generic like "my state schools, and a few others..." or something similar.

Now that it's later in the year, with acceptances and rejections being given to many applicants who still have interviews remaining, I wonder how many might face a question like the above with a twist like "...and how do you stand with them?"

I'm not sure if they are "supposed" to or allowed to ask questions like that, but I'm sure it is bound to happen because I've experienced something not so far removed, and others have had the direct question about other schools to which they've applied. How would you responsd? If you were accepted somewhere already, would you tell them? Reasons for and agains?

More interestingly (or maybe less ambiguous), if you already had a rejection and an interviewer asked you how you stood with other schools, would you tell them? With rumors that some adcomms talk to each other, would you be concerned about any knowledge he might already have?

I think I'd just stare blankly for a while and then start talking about the kind of music I prefer or something. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

When asked that question, I'd most likely just respond with the truth. That I've applied to a bazillion places in my quest to steal spots from other pre-meds. That I also applied to many places because I'm a money hungry SOB and will go to any great length to obtain the most dollar signs from scholarships.

I would then inform them that they have the next 10 minutes to offer me an acceptance + full scholarship or else I'll tell my mom.

That's just what I would do though. :thumbup:

If I'm accepted to another school, but still chose to come to their interview, it obviously means that I'm still a good chance to take.

I always answer honestly. Maybe not fully, but I won't say anything that isn't true.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did get asked a variant of this question at one school. (It was before 10-15, so I hadn't been accepted anywhere yet.) I was asked where else I had interviewed, and I named some names. The interviewer then asked how I ranked this particular school compared to the others where I had interviewed. I said that I was not ready to make any ranking of the schools at this time, because I hadn't been accepted anywhere yet. And that even if I were to have a choice, I would need to know about my financial aid packages and re-visit the schools before I'd be able to make a decision.

After 10-15, I have also been asked whether I've been accepted elsewhere, and I simply said yes. This interviewer just nodded and did not ask me to name names.

I was asked at every interview. Just tell them. They do this for several reasons: Find out where there school ranks, atmosphere (city, urban, rural) that you like, and how competitive you are (closed file interviews). The worst thing you could do is say "I applied here and there" and any variant of that. Good luck.

Yup, I just answer honestly with all these questions. There's no point in trying to guess what's going on in your interviewer's head.

MoosePilot said:
If I'm accepted to another school, but still chose to come to their interview, it obviously means that I'm still a good chance to take.

I always answer honestly. Maybe not fully, but I won't say anything that isn't true.

Ya I was asked if i was accepted at any other schools and definitely told them the truth and where I was accepted at. I think it makes you a stronger applicant especially at the private schools that get tons of applications from all over. If you are already accepted somewhere and choose to go to the interview you obviously have a genuine interest in the school.

I very much disliked this question because the interviewer kept asking "where else did you apply?" "which schools specifically?" "Did you apply to X or Y?" and then wrote down each school I mentioned. Afterwards he asked which schools were my safety schools. While the school I was at was obviously one of my "safeties" I told him truthfully that I apply only to schools I want to go to. He spent about 10 minutes of the interview talking about other schools and never even asked me "why this school?". I almost felt tempted to downplay my application because they seemed to think I was just using them as a safety and would most likely not go there if accepted.

Yup, I just answer honestly with all these questions. There's no point in trying to guess what's going on in your interviewer's head.

Seriously, this.

And threadbump batman.

I had schools do this too when I was applying to med school. Told the truth without making a big deal of it and moved on. Still got accepted to those places.

I think more and more of you will be getting those mini-ethical-speed-dating interviews anyway, so this will be a moot issue in the future. I know my school does them and I think it's probably better. Much more fair to talk about an ethical issue than have to deal with the insecurities and bias of a single interviewer.

Solid 6-year bump.

I've also run into this in a few interviews. I tend to be vague and talk about applying to my in-state schools and "a few others, mostly in the midwest" and that I've had a few interviews. I'm certainly not going to lie about where I've interviewed but I also don't want to dwell on it either. I tend to shift this question into a discussion of why I'm specifically interested in the school I'm interviewing at.

Seriously, this.

And threadbump batman.

People hate repeat threads,others hate old thread bumping

can't please everyone

I am honest in my answers but don't want to talk about all these other places when I'm interviewing at their school. I'd like to find a good way to answer this question but quickly focus on something else (e.g. THIS medical school)

I am honest in my answers but don't want to talk about all these other places when I'm interviewing at their school. I'd like to find a good way to answer this question but quickly focus on something else (e.g. THIS medical school)

I'd do this. Be honest and say where you've interviewed (having lots of interviews makes you look good!) Then say something like I've been pretty lucky with all the interviews I've gotten. I must say that I've been very impressed so far with this school for X and Y reasons. It's certainly stands out from the other schools I've interviewed at in that regard. I kind of feel like that when you interview you only have to halfway answer the questions being asked, if you're well-spoken and confident you can more or less babble on about whatever the hell you feel like after that. Pretend you are a politician answering questions. But a good one, not Bachmann.

People hate repeat threads,others hate old thread bumping

can't please everyone

Some dislike new threads that repeat questions that have been asked and answered.

Some dislike resurrecting old threads where the new post is continuing a discussion as if the old discussion were still going on.

These are not two sides of the same coin.

Some dislike new threads that repeat questions that have been asked and answered.

Some dislike resurrecting old threads where the new post is continuing a discussion as if the old discussion were still going on.

These are not two sides of the same coin.

the strategy to deal with this type of question had not been adequately answered and the previous posts in this thread, albeit old, are relevant. though the people who originally started this thread may not contribute any more, their posts are still worth reading.

the strategy to deal with this type of question had not been adequately answered and the previous posts in this thread, albeit old, are relevant. though the people who originally started this thread may not contribute any more, their posts are still worth reading.

I'm only pointing out that the dichotomy you set up was not correct.

I'm only pointing out that the dichotomy you set up was not correct.

Fair enough. My point was that people would complain no matter whether I started a new thread or bumped one like this.

PS:I hope this is how you celebrate your match day Mauberley haha (look at 1:55-2:00) [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGJYYGWnR6U&feature=player_detailpage#t=112s[/YOUTUBE]

I'd do this. Be honest and say where you've interviewed (having lots of interviews makes you look good!) Then say something like I've been pretty lucky with all the interviews I've gotten. I must say that I've been very impressed so far with this school for X and Y reasons. It's certainly stands out from the other schools I've interviewed at in that regard. I kind of feel like that when you interview you only have to halfway answer the questions being asked, if you're well-spoken and confident you can more or less babble on about whatever the hell you feel like after that. Pretend you are a politician answering questions. But a good one, not Bachmann.

I respectfully disagree with this. The interviewer has your transcripts and test scores and if you have gotten as far as the interview it is assumed you are smart enough as a student to get through. But nothing on paper attests to your judgement, personability, or intangible traits that are needed just as much to function as an MD- especially as a trainee. They want people that they like talking to and are easy to interact with, not someone who acts like a used car salesman never giving straight or direct answers. The question about your application strategy is a good one-they are looking for someone who is organized, pragmatic, logical, and realistic in the way they have planned their future.

You should have some organized thought process as to why you applied to certain schools. Good reasons include geography- to stay in a certain part of the country, personal connections with the place such as family who went there or you have done research, studied, or worked there and/or you know someone, or you have a mutual interest with the school's mission- ie research or a primary care inclination. They also expect that you know something about them and that you know their perceived strengths/ strong points since you are considering committing to a place for 4 years.

if you have shotgunned applied to 30+ schools or you are delusional and think you can get to Hopkins with mediocre stats then you lack common sense whether or not you're smart. If you already have been accepted somewhere and you are asked that, then as someone said just be honest and tell them you are still interviewing to select the best option you can and no one will have a problem with that.