If ANYONE has ANY information about the University of Vermont's DPT program I would be grateful!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wisconsindpt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received my acceptance to the University of Vermont DPT program today and I'm so excited! If anyone has any information they could share with me I would be incredibly grateful! I'm interested in the program, the school, the area, the costs (can we become residents after the first year), and anything else that could help me with my decision. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I received my acceptance to the University of Vermont DPT program today and I'm so excited! If anyone has any information they could share with me I would be incredibly grateful! I'm interested in the program, the school, the area, the costs (can we become residents after the first year), and anything else that could help me with my decision. Thanks!

Hello! I'm not sure if you have checked the CAPTE website, but here is a link to information about the University of Vermont DPT program that may help in your decision-making process.

http://www.capteonline.org/apta/dir...PE=PT&ID=6789ECCA-999F-4F96-A761-7BB8654C7B82

Maybe a current student can answer the question about becoming an in-state resident after the first year, but if not you may want to email the program to determine if it is possible. At $1403 per credit for out-of-state students and 103 credits, the tuition and fees is $144,509. Best of luck to you!

Thanks OneWarrior! The link was helpful and wow is that a lot of money...hopefully residency is possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Burlington is a cute city (okay, it's really the size of a large town). It's right on the lake, full of young people and only an hour from the mountains. UVM has a LOT of students. It's mostly undergrad, but they have a grad program in just about everything. Unfortunately their residency office is stingier than the state about in-state residence status. If they even remotely suspect you are here just for school, they will consider you out-of-state. It's somewhat of a bummer...

Not sure if you've made any decisions about UVM yet, but just saw this and thought I would add my two cents. I was a geology major there for undergrad and I LOVED UVM and Burlington. I may be partial to the area since I grew up in Vermont, but hey, it's a super fun college town. Not only is it a great college town, but it's also one of the top ranked small cities in the country to raise a family. The waterfront, Church Street, and pretty much all of downtown are fabulous year round. Despite the cold winters people are always out and about year round playing in the mountains (much closer than an hour, btw) or the lake. For bigger city life Montreal is pretty close to the north and then you've got the Adirondacks in NY to the west. In short, I love Vermont and always will and cannot endorse the area enough!

As for the program, I can't say too much. I actually decided not to apply because the out of state tuition was much more than the other schools I was looking at. However, I have a few friends who have gone there, loved the program, and have come out of there with very successful careers. They have excellent medical facilities connected to the campus (the hospital is literally on campus) which gives great hands on experience, contacts for future work, etc. From what I've heard there are also great opportunities for research.

As for residency, they are strict! I believe when I was an undergrad, and it probably hasn't changed, you had to live and work in the state without being a student for two years before you could claim residency for in state tuition purposes.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Thank you so much for your response! I did decide on UVM and I'm so glad to hear that you loved it there because the out of state tuition is really crazy! As it is, I will be packing up and heading to Burlington in approximately 5 weeks as soon as my semester is done and I am very excited. From what you said I made the right choice which makes the transition a little less scary. Anyways thanks again for taking the time to give me some great info!

Burlington is a cute city (okay, it's really the size of a large town). It's right on the lake, full of young people and only an hour from the mountains. UVM has a LOT of students. It's mostly undergrad, but they have a grad program in just about everything. Unfortunately their residency office is stingier than the state about in-state residence status. If they even remotely suspect you are here just for school, they will consider you out-of-state. It's somewhat of a bummer...

Hey snowywinter, thanks for the post and your thoughts on Burlington and UVM. When I came on here to look at the new post I saw yours so sorry I didn't thank you sooner! Any information is valuable as I'm moving so far away!

Awesome! I'm sure you'll love it there! Let me know if you need any more help with anything, advice on the best places to go, etc. Have fun settling in and give Vermont a hug for me!

I left the UVM DPT program this past December (I was part of the class of 2016). The program was a terrible experience. I enjoyed UVM as an undergrad, but I would not recommend their DPT program to my worst enemy. If you got in elsewhere, go. I have several friends who chose the UVM program despite multiple acceptances, and most of whom have serious regrets. The program is very poorly organized, unwelcoming to non-traditional students, and expensive enough to be considered highway robbery.

Most of the DPT students are from the '3+3' program, meaning that they completed three years of undergraduate coursework and are able to complete the entire program in 6 years. However, for the first year of the DPT program, they are technically still undergraduate students. This means that the graduate college rules do not apply to them. If you, as a student with a B.A/ B.S, receive three grades below an 83, they WILL kick you out. If a '3+3' student receives three or more grades below an 83, they simply repeat the course.

The program is NOT designed for older or non-traditional students, which is probably why there were only six of us in the entire cohort. If you are not 21, single, and a '3+3' student- prepare to hate your life. If you have to deal with any unforseen circumstances, the faculty will not try to accomodate you- they honestly do not care whether or not you suceed. They are some of the most apathetic and disorganized people I have met in my entire life. One of the professors even had the WRONG SYLLABUS AND GRADING SCHEME posted online for the entire semester!!! Totally worth the sky-high tuition.

In the middle of the semester, I had to deal with the sudden, unexpected death of a family member. I went to my advisor for help and advice, and instead of providing any useful information at all, she actually asked me if I had a "cognitive issue", and asked me if I realized how many other people would have liked my seat in the program.

The program does have one great professor (she teaches pathophysiology and is affiliated with the medical school, NOT the DPT program), who was just wonderful. She recommended me to nursing programs once I left the program- I was accepted into all of them.

Long story short, I completely regret spending a single penny of my hard-earned money on the program. I am more than happy to talk to you further or answer any questions you may have.

I left the UVM DPT program this past December (I was part of the class of 2016). The program was a terrible experience. I enjoyed UVM as an undergrad, but I would not recommend their DPT program to my worst enemy. If you got in elsewhere, go. I have several friends who chose the UVM program despite multiple acceptances, and most of whom have serious regrets. The program is very poorly organized, unwelcoming to non-traditional students, and expensive enough to be considered highway robbery.

Most of the DPT students are from the '3+3' program, meaning that they completed three years of undergraduate coursework and are able to complete the entire program in 6 years. However, for the first year of the DPT program, they are technically still undergraduate students. This means that the graduate college rules do not apply to them. If you, as a student with a B.A/ B.S, receive three grades below an 83, they WILL kick you out. If a '3+3' student receives three or more grades below an 83, they simply repeat the course.

The program is NOT designed for older or non-traditional students, which is probably why there were only six of us in the entire cohort. If you are not 21, single, and a '3+3' student- prepare to hate your life. If you have to deal with any unforseen circumstances, the faculty will not try to accomodate you- they honestly do not care whether or not you suceed. They are some of the most apathetic and disorganized people I have met in my entire life. One of the professors even had the WRONG SYLLABUS AND GRADING SCHEME posted online for the entire semester!!! Totally worth the sky-high tuition.

In the middle of the semester, I had to deal with the sudden, unexpected death of a family member. I went to my advisor for help and advice, and instead of providing any useful information at all, she actually asked me if I had a "cognitive issue", and asked me if I realized how many other people would have liked my seat in the program.

The program does have one great professor (she teaches pathophysiology and is affiliated with the medical school, NOT the DPT program), who was just wonderful. She recommended me to nursing programs once I left the program- I was accepted into all of them.

Long story short, I completely regret spending a single penny of my hard-earned money on the program. I am more than happy to talk to you further or answer any questions you may have.

Wow! That's probably valuable info for people. I also loved my undergrad there and the people I know who went through the program were 3+3 people so I suppose that makes sense why they loved it. I'm guessing at this point, your post may still be reflecting lots of bitterness towards the program, but still. Good luck with nursing school. Is UVM one of the places you're considering?

Me? Bitter? ;) Had I not had a death in the family I wouldn't be so bitter- but getting kicked out after those circumstances when my worst grade was a C, and other members of my cohort were allowed to stay after receiving a ***D***, did leave a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

Also, if you look at the graduation rate stats UVM has posted on the DPT site, you will notice that they have not been updated since 2009 (when the program switched from a Master's program to a Doctorate program). This is because their stats are much worse now- they have already lost 5.5% of the class of 2016. They also conveniently do not inform outside applicants that they will be held to a different standard than the 3+3 students.

I did not consider UVM for nursing. I've pretty much washed my hands of that place, and there are other good programs in the area. I ended up accepting a seat at SUNY Plattsburgh. Their program is geared toward adults, and the entire program will cost me less than ONE semester of the UVM DPT program. So, I think things did work out for the best.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey snowywinter, thanks for the post and your thoughts on Burlington and UVM. When I came on here to look at the new post I saw yours so sorry I didn't thank you sooner! Any information is valuable as I'm moving so far away!

Hello, I came on here looking for information about the UVM DPT program and I saw you had some of the same questions I have now, wisconsindpt. Given that you posted here a few years ago I figure you must be finished or nearly finished with the program. How did you like it? Were you able to establish residency going into the second year? I'm looking to move to Burlington and work for a year and apply for 2019. I was told by an admissions counselor in the undergraduate program that it takes one year to establish residency, but I've also heard from other people that it might not be that simple. I plan on speaking with a counselor in the graduate program.

Also, I was looking over the curriculum and I was surprised to see that the third year is entirely clinical internships. The complete program seems to be about 20 credits fewer than some of the other schools I'm considering. Do some of the clinical internships need to be completed out of the state? Are there any abroad options? Thanks in advance for your help. I visited UVM recently and fell in love with the campus and area. I'm hoping that I can make this work.