If anyone here is tuly interested in a DPM>PMD change you will need to act

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctazero

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The material has been prepared and will be sent along. However, it-the document-will require your support. If you merely do nothing, expecting this change, DPM>PMD, it may not happen. The designation D.P.M. will remain as is, and the same, unrecognizable degree will be with you for the rest of your life. You can make a difference. The time has come to act, not bicker, not behave childishly, not ask silly questions. You must refrain from infantilism, name calling, and questions as to who I am and what I do. There are leaders among you to contact privately within the roster of folks here, and outside of this board. They will guide you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The material has been prepared and will be sent along. However, it-the document-will require your support. If you merely do nothing, expecting this change, DPM>PMD, it may not happen. The designation D.P.M. will remain as is, and the same, unrecognizable degree will be with you for the rest of your life. You can make a difference. The time has come to act, not bicker, not behave childishly, not ask silly questions. You must refrain from infantilism, name calling, and questions as to who I am and what I do. There are leaders among you to contact privately within the roster of folks here, and outside of this board. They will guide you.

Well done sir.

Well done sir.

Agree. This individual has prepared a good position paper on the subject that he privately sent to me. A few areas that may make the politically correct raise an eyebrow but a honest and logical paper. The younger members (and senior but the youth benefits the most) must act by sending it or their own correspondence to their reps. Those who have not been members of the APMA I would suggest you make this issue and the dual track I mentioned in another post a reason to rejoin. That would definitely catch the leaderships attention.

PMD is a way for us to tout the changes we have made in the last quarter century. Whether or not the branding makes a difference we will see. If branding is not important then why did we drop the DSC?

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree. This individual has prepared a good position paper on the subject that he privately sent to me. A few areas that may make the politically correct raise an eyebrow but a honest and logical paper. The younger members (and senior but the youth benefits the most) must act by sending it or their own correspondence to their reps. Those who have not been members of the APMA I would suggest you make this issue and the dual track I mentioned in another post a reason to rejoin. That would definitely catch the leaderships attention.

PMD is a way for us to tout the changes we have made in the last quarter century. Whether or not the branding makes a difference we will see. If branding is not important then why did we drop the DSC?

Do not PM me here. I've provided an email address for this information. This-the document-is NOT SDN material, therefore treat it as such. If you do not understand this, ask your leaders. Email me at: [email protected]

Last edited:
Which 10 states was this survey distributed? Are they states where podiatry schools currently reside? Are they states where podiatry is prominent?

If the majority of the states surveyed were from the South and the middle of the midwest then I would be impressed and that would totally squash this PMD/DPM debate.

Three points:
First other surveys by the AMA demonstrate that many believe a "podiatrist" is an MD. Therefore some of the public are misinformed.

Second it is bothersome that only a third would permit a DPM to do surgery if they had a heart problem. Indicating a confidence problem.

Finally over the years when I told people that I did surgery too, their interpretation was that meant ingrown toenails, warts, and sometimes bunions. But most when you mention any fracture care, rearfoot, ankle surgery, achilles tendon work etc. were shocked and at times argumentative.

A better survey would query what the public thinks our education is, scope of practice, and if you had this problem would you see a DPM or an orthopedist.
The PMD has not been marketed nor used therefore no brand recognition. Remember it's just an idea and if the DPMs do not want it so be it. But I believe a survey like I suggest would open some eyes. I still believe with our integration into DO/MD schools a dual track should be available to those who want it and qualify.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Last edited:
If branding is not important then why did we drop the DSC?

The term "Chiropodist" was coined in 1785, but not used by our profession in the US until the early 1900's. Felix Von Defele was the first one to use the term "Podiatrist" in 1918, however this was resisted by many both in and outside the profession. For the next 40 years we were referred to as both, and it wasn't until 1958 that the profession officially changed the title, and soon after the degree changed too.

The main reason behind the name change was to avoid public and professional confusion with chiropractors. "Allopathic medicine" as we know it today had a lot of competition from both osteopaths and chiropractors back then, as both professions claimed to treat systemic diseases. While the allopathic community put all efforts to dismiss and discredit those professions, podiatry was largely ignored, mainly because they thought of the foot as a non-vital organ.

In reality we weren't trying to imitate any other profession with our degree and title changes, we were trying to do just the opposite. If you look at the history of podiatry, the degree change did little to advance our profession; if anything it deflected attention away from us long enough to organize and establish ourselves as a separate branch of medicine without resistance. Likewise, the leaps and bounds we've made since that time to parallel allopathic medicine came as a result of improving our education, state legislation, and professional relationships with the allopathic community. The more we're educated about general medicine and better we practice, the greater respect we'll receive from our patients and peers. This is why we need a progressive education, not a degree change.

We are a profession in-limbo, but we're slowly progressing through our hard work. The last thing we need is to confuse people with more semantics. We should focus our efforts on improving the aspects of our professional and educational system that are not on par with general medicine. We have a sub-par general medicine education (by our own admission, as well as that of the allopathic community), many governing boards, surgical and non-surgical podiatrists, and non-unified state scopes. None of these issues will be addressed by a degree change, nor will we receive additional "clout" from our peers or patients with such.

As was just mentioned, according to published research, a majority of patients already believe we have a medical degree. The best thing we can do to achieve parity is expand our education and relationships with the public and allopathic peers. We can call ourselves anything we want, but if we don't have the substance we're not going to be taken seriously as health care providers.
GSR

Last edited:
The term "Chiropodist" was coined in 1785, but not used by our profession in the US until the early 1900's. Felix Von Defele was the first one to use the term "Podiatrist" in 1918, however this was resisted by many both in and outside the profession. For the next 40 years we were referred to as both, and it wasn't until 1958 that the profession officially changed the title, and soon after the degree changed too.

The main reason behind the name change was to avoid public and professional confusion with chiropractors. "Allopathic medicine" as we know it today had a lot of competition from both osteopaths and chiropractors back then, as both professions claimed to treat systemic diseases. While the allopathic community put all efforts to dismiss and discredit those professions, podiatry was largely ignored, mainly because they thought of the foot as a non-vital organ.

In reality we weren't trying to imitate any other profession with our degree and title changes, we were trying to do just the opposite. If you look at the history of podiatry, the degree change did little to advance our profession; if anything it deflected attention away from us long enough to organize and establish ourselves as a separate branch of medicine without resistance. Likewise, the leaps and bounds we've made since that time to parallel allopathic medicine came as a result of improving our education, state legislation, and professional relationships with the allopathic community. The more we're educated about general medicine and better we practice, the greater respect we'll receive from our patients and peers. This is why we need a progressive education, not a degree change.

We are a profession in-limbo, but we're slowly progressing through our hard work. The last thing we need is to confuse people with more semantics. We should focus our efforts on improving the aspects of our professional and educational system that are not on par with general medicine. We have a sub-par general medicine education (by our own admission, as well as that of the allopathic community), many governing boards, surgical and non-surgical podiatrists, and non-unified state scopes. None of these issues will be addressed by a degree change, nor will we receive additional "clout" from our peers or patients with such.

As was just mentioned, according to published research, a majority of patients already believe we have a medical degree. The best thing we can do to achieve parity is expand our education and relationships with the public and allopathic peers. We can call ourselves anything we want, but if we don't have the substance we're not going to be taken seriously as health care providers.
GSR

Excellent post. Well done!

Excellent post. Well done!

Agree.

If you have read all of my posts throughout the years I readily admit that obtaining an MD/DO will not change most practices and may be an added expense/time for nothing. However, like it or not, the lack of "physician" status affects our reimbursement and in any bylaws/state laws which it is used. Also from a public perception angle the MD is still and will always be the gold standard.

Now if we can achieve parity in reimbursement, legislation, and continued PR then it will be unnecessary.

Second it is bothersome that only a third would permit a DPM to do surgery if they had a heart problem. Indicating a confidence problem/QUOTE]

You can't REALLY blame these people......would you want a DPM performing surgery on your heart????

Sorry Podfather, I had to take that line out of context and play with it....you made it TOO easy. :D

Second it is bothersome that only a third would permit a DPM to do surgery if they had a heart problem. Indicating a confidence problem/QUOTE]

You can't REALLY blame these people......would you want a DPM performing surgery on your heart????

Sorry Podfather, I had to take that line out of context and play with it....you made it TOO easy. :D

LOL..................... Good one.

:rofl: