If entering private practice, does residency "name" matter at all?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like one needs to be trained at top programs in order to become faculty at top name programs. When I was at Wilmer and MEEI, about 90% of faculty did residency at Wilmer, Harvard, Bascom, Schieye, etc.

what about if you are entering private practice? Does where you did ophthy residency matter at all?

I've heard from others that if u r going into practice, where u went to med school and residency do not matter at all.

But when I see local ads in the papers and mags of practices, the docs advertise where they did residency and fellowship.. ??

so what is the real deal? thanks for help.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the better question is do you care. When you are in profit practice do you want to advertise your medical school and residency? If so, try to go to the more respected/well known medical school and do your residency at a more respected/well known hospital.

Somewhere in the 50 states is the country's worst Ophthalmologist and I'll bet someone's got an appointment with him/her tomorrow. Do the best you can and do what you will be satisfied with.

Originally posted by chef
It seems like one needs to be trained at top programs in order to become faculty at top name programs. When I was at Wilmer and MEEI, about 90% of faculty did residency at Wilmer, Harvard, Bascom, Schieye, etc.

what about if you are entering private practice? Does where you did ophthy residency matter at all?

I've heard from others that if u r going into practice, where u went to med school and residency do not matter at all.

But when I see local ads in the papers and mags of practices, the docs advertise where they did residency and fellowship.. ??

so what is the real deal? thanks for help.

Yes it does matter. It'll matter when you're being recruited or applying for jobs. Good practices will turn to the programs that train good surgeons/ophthalmologists for their group. I've seen all my colleagues land very nice jobs around the country.

Furthermore, you'll never know when you'll want to apply for fellowship or even pursue academics; thus, I think it's best to go to the best program that trains you both for academics and private practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Andrew-thanks for reply.

how do senior faculty feel when a resident decides to do private practice after completion at these "Topdog" programs? u said that when u interview at these places, they make it clear that they are lookin for people who will enter academia and become the leaders in the field, whether it's research or clinic. Then is it sorta taboo and frowned upon to enter private practice after doing residency at top10 places or nobody really cares what you do after u r done... i'm curious b/c what if someone goes to MEEI thinkin he/she will enter academia but during 2nd yr he/she changes mind and wanto to go private..

what are typical academia/private practice ratio of graduates of top10 programs? 90% academia/10% practice?

Originally posted by chef
Hey Andrew-thanks for reply.

how do senior faculty feel when a resident decides to do private practice after completion at these "Topdog" programs? u said that when u interview at these places, they make it clear that they are lookin for people who will enter academia and become the leaders in the field, whether it's research or clinic. Then is it sorta taboo and frowned upon to enter private practice after doing residency at top10 places or nobody really cares what you do after u r done... i'm curious b/c what if someone goes to MEEI thinkin he/she will enter academia but during 2nd yr he/she changes mind and wanto to go private..

what are typical academia/private practice ratio of graduates of top10 programs? 90% academia/10% practice?

Hi Chef,

I only know the stats for Wilmer and MEEI. At Wilmer and MEEI about 3/4 or more enter academia. These numbers may fluctuate. Although the top programs hope their grads become academicians, they won't completely oppose if grads decide to enter private practice. MEEI and Wilmer, however, train their grads for fellowships and not for private practice. In my opinion, it's better to train at a place like UTAH, where you'll do close to 200 cataracts, than Wilmer or MEEI, where the numbers of cataract extractions are much less, if private practice is your goal.

If your heart is set on $$$$$$$ then it does not matter where you did your ophthalmology residency..

Very good question...I have often thought about that. And, thanks for the replies. Sounds like to me from the few posts already on here, that it is up to the individual. This is good, cause I don't think that I give a damn where I do my residency, as long as I get into one of my top specialty. I am NEVER going to be in academia; I just want to go back home and work for a group practice. Very simple, I guess, but it is my dream.