If I get accepted to one school, before hearing from another

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kate921

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have an interview coming up with NOVA and I would LOVe to go there, however monetarily my first choice is UF since both are great schools. If by some awesome chance I get into both, but hear back from NOVA well before UF even looks at my app, can I put my deposit down to NOVA without UF finding out? I don't mind losing the deposit, but I don't want to commit before i hear back from all my schools...what's proper protocol here?
thanks!

best,
Kate

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you should put your deposit down on Nova. What if you don't get into UF, then you might lose your seat at Nova.

If you would rather go to UF, you would then send your deposit to UF and then call Nova personally or write them a letter to give up your seat to another student. Just make sure you call them, because Pharmacy is a small world.

okay great thank you! I just wasn't sure if putting a deposit down on one school hurts your chances of getting into another! I would be ecstatic for acceptance to either.

Members don't see this ad :)
okay great thank you! I just wasn't sure if putting a deposit down on one school hurts your chances of getting into another! I would be ecstatic for acceptance to either.

I don't think there will be a way for them to find out. So make sure you put down the deposit and if you get in to both then you can make your selection.

I don't think there will be a way for them to find out. So make sure you put down the deposit and if you get in to both then you can make your selection.

Delano is spot on with this one.

Also, make sure if you get an interview at both just be honest about being accepted at Nova and you put your deposit down. You can always get into them being a back-up school because there are no guarantees in this sort of thing. The other thing is just to make sure you tell them you like their program more and not just because they are cheaper. Make sure you have their differences in mind and be able to convey that to the AdCOM.

happens all the time, put your deposit down for the 1st school and wait for the 2nd. just be sure to promptly notify the other school (via email) if you decide to bail so they can notify another student.

I had the same question. What if you get into the school of your first choice after placing the deposit, then do you lose the deposit you placed with the first school? Wouldn't that be an expensive decision?

I had the same question. What if you get into the school of your first choice after placing the deposit, then do you lose the deposit you placed with the first school? Wouldn't that be an expensive decision?

Yes, typically these deposits are non-refundable. Expensive, yeah- that's why you have to prioritize. With luck you can just put down a deposit at ONE school.

Yes, that's the idea and the choice YOU have to make.You can take a gamble and not put a deposit down but then what if you don't get accepted to any other school ? You loose esentially a year re-applying and all the time and money that you invested. Financial loss comes with the benefit knowing that you are already accepted and feel confident and less anxious about the future.

I know someone who got acccepted to 6 schools and lost desposit to each one because each subsequent school he was accepted to was better than the previous one or ranked higher.

I lost my deposit too, but I didn't care much, I spent thousands and thousands last year, so loosing a deposit was the least of my worries.

I applied to South, got accepted in March give them my credit card number and they never charged me. :confused: Got accepted to Mercer in May and told them I wasn't going to South anymore and they still never charged me. Works for me. :laugh: Had I given them a check instead of a credit card number I might not have been so lucky! LOL...

Hey guys,

I have an interview coming up with NOVA and I would LOVe to go there, however monetarily my first choice is UF since both are great schools. If by some awesome chance I get into both, but hear back from NOVA well before UF even looks at my app, can I put my deposit down to NOVA without UF finding out? I don't mind losing the deposit, but I don't want to commit before i hear back from all my schools...what's proper protocol here?
thanks!

best,
Kate

Congratulations to get an interview :D
I also applied NOVA this week, so I wonder that your GPA, pcat score, and etc. If you do not mind, can I know it?

when I got accepted, my deposit was $40. is it a lot more than this at other schools?

when I got accepted, my deposit was $40. is it a lot more than this at other schools?

$500 is "average" for the schools I applied to. Midwestern in Illinois deposit is $1000, I believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long after being told that you are accepted do you have to place your deposit to hold your seat? Say you have an interview a week or two later at a school that you would rather go to can you hold off for a bit to see if you get accepted? At the moment I have an interview to my first choice at the end of January and have yet to set up one for my second choice. If they call me offering an interview I was thinking about trying to push back that interview until the same time or right after. My second choice has a deposit of $1500, I believe, so I really really don't want to put down that kind of money unless I know I have too.

How long after being told that you are accepted do you have to place your deposit to hold your seat? Say you have an interview a week or two later at a school that you would rather go to can you hold off for a bit to see if you get accepted? At the moment I have an interview to my first choice at the end of January and have yet to set up one for my second choice. If they call me offering an interview I was thinking about trying to push back that interview until the same time or right after. My second choice has a deposit of $1500, I believe, so I really really don't want to put down that kind of money unless I know I have too.

It depends on the school. Most schools the window to put a deposit down is two weeks, so if you hear from the second school fast enough, you may make it w/out putting down deposit.

Schedule them strategically so they are within the span of the same week or around the same time. Some schools are really flexible with dates and let you schedule it when it's convenient for you (yay for Michigan), some just tell you you have an interview on a certain date and you need to make it on that date.

Depends how strong of an applicant you think you are. If I were in your shoes, I would interview ASAP at 2nd choice...then again, I was nervous at the time and statistically you're better off interviewing early at a rolling admissions school.

If you feel you're strong enough of an interviewer/applicant, feel free to push the 2nd choice school after your 1st school to save the $1500 later.

Yeah I remember seeing that thread and things like that are what makes me worry even though I feel I am a strong candidate (~3.95, 99 PCAT, 2 years RN). however I feel like if I wait too long and don't come off strong in either interview, since I am only applying to two schools, I could get screwed. Well my second choice hasn't even started sending out interview invites yet so I am hoping that they wait until January to start their interviews as well so I don't have to make that choice at all. $1500 is a lot of money.

Congratulations to get an interview :D
I also applied NOVA this week, so I wonder that your GPA, pcat score, and etc. If you do not mind, can I know it?

thanks! i'm super excited about it! My stats aren't stellar but i think they're competitive?:
GPA: 3.6 Science: 3.5
PCAT: 75 but taking it again saturday
Extras: no pharm experience persay...worked in CVS, shadowed a pharmacist, but lots of community involvement dealing with healthcare issues.
LORs: GREAT ones from science, employer, prehealth advisor, pharmacology professor

Yeah I remember seeing that thread and things like that are what makes me worry even though I feel I am a strong candidate (~3.95, 99 PCAT, 2 years RN). however I feel like if I wait too long and don't come off strong in either interview, since I am only applying to two schools, I could get screwed. Well my second choice hasn't even started sending out interview invites yet so I am hoping that they wait until January to start their interviews as well so I don't have to make that choice at all. $1500 is a lot of money.

Yes, it is a lot of money. But it's a lot less than you would lose by having to take a year off because you don't get into your first choice and lost your seat at your backup.

Yes, it is a lot of money. But it's a lot less than you would lose by having to take a year off because you don't get into your first choice and lost your seat at your backup.

Yeah and I know I would be foolish not to lock down a seat if offered. I am more hoping that the interviews will not take place until later. Since they haven't even started sending out invites yet I am hoping that they will not start the actual interviews until the end of january so that it isn't an issue. If I was offered an interview and then a spot I would pay the money rather than take the chance.

I am in a similar situation. I got accepted to Shenandoah, and they require I put a deposit of 1000 dollars to hold my seat. I am still waiting on two schools that have priority over Shenandoah. Im thinking about putting the deposit and risk losing the thousand bucks. What do you all think?

I am in a similar situation. I got accepted to Shenandoah, and they require I put a deposit of 1000 dollars to hold my seat. I am still waiting on two schools that have priority over Shenandoah. Im thinking about putting the deposit and risk losing the thousand bucks. What do you all think?

How long do you have to decide?

Honestly, in my opinion, the first school that contacts you should be the one you attend unless your are really confident that you're stats are good enough for the other schools. Alot of these deposits are like $500. I mean you must have been somewhat interested in the school for you to apply there in the first place, and when you graduate your pharmacy degree will be there same anyway.

Honestly, in my opinion, the first school that contacts you should be the one you attend unless your are really confident that you're stats are good enough for the other schools. Alot of these deposits are like $500. I mean you must have been somewhat interested in the school for you to apply there in the first place, and when you graduate your pharmacy degree will be there same anyway.

:confused:

You do realize that going to the said school will take up 3-4 years of your life and will infinitely impact the rest of your life in both professional and personal aspect.

10 days from the day I receive my acceptance package. It hasnt come in the mail yet.

You know, you CAN ask the school if you can wait a few weeks to put down the deposit. Just call and ask.

Yea, I know what you mean but this isn't a perfect world and you have to make decisions. I personally don't have $500 to waste. That's just my perspective, having had to sit out a year and work due to being rejected.

I think, the time, money already spent on the whole pharmacy pursue issue(not to mention the stress), and most importantly the time you can risk wasting in the future, are all too big of a risk for $500. I know it's a lot of money, I'll probably have to borrow it myself if i get accepted at whatever school first, but that's something i will gladly do, and if i get my top choice after that, i'll be even happier! ..I mean i think it's the logical reasoning, unless you're like a super student with 4.o gpa and 99 PCAT then you know you'll get in anywhere, but most people that's not the case, and most of us are facing a lot of competition...so i say, secure the available and wait for the best.! .

I just had to put down $1000 for South University.

It sucks because it isn't my top choice but there is no way I am going to risk not being accepted somewhere else and having to regret my decision later on.

I feel like 1,000 lbs has been lifted off of me because I was accepted but this dent in my wallet is weighing kind of heavy too...

Good luck everyone!! :)

I just had to put down $1000 for South University.

It sucks because it isn't my top choice but there is no way I am going to risk not being accepted somewhere else and having to regret my decision later on.

I feel like 1,000 lbs has been lifted off of me because I was accepted but this dent in my wallet is weighing kind of heavy too...

Good luck everyone!! :)

Good idea. Im about to do that within the next couple of weeks.

Hey guys,

thanks!

best,
Kate

Don't count your eggs before the hatch.