If I have...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diddy30

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-1+ yr experience in the medical field working alongside LCSWs
-A diploma and certification for Medical Assisting
-A good GPA
-Good LORs
-A well written PS w/ very clear demonstration of background/life experiences that have led me to pursue social work
-A desire to become an LCSW
-I'm applying to a generally non-competitive school...

Do I NEED volunteer experience in order to get accepted?

Something (very personal, but very important) has come up for me so that I really won't be able to volunteer between now and when I would be applying (1 yr from now).

My school looks at following criteria for admissions:
1. Upper division GPA (will be 4.0)
2. Quality/extent of past experiences, either volunteer or paid (MA background/experience w/ LCSWs in the field)
3. LORs (good)
4. Personal statement (mind blowingly good)

Is not having volunteer experience given my situation going to hurt my chances of acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

It may vary by school, but my understanding was that a school will substitute pertinent [paid] work experience for volunteering. If everything else you said is true, you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you spoken to somebody at admissions?

I haven't talked to admissions yet. So far I haven't really needed to b/c the information online is very detailed & pertinent to any questions I would have.

My school just says "quality/extent of social work experience" and they specify this can be either volunteer or paid. So that was a little comforting. I'll also have a letter from a nurse I worked closely with in my last job that will help speak to my experience in the field as well as my motivation, professionalism, and ability to relate to/care for patients.

This was sort of a more "in general" question. I just know volunteering is a big part of the social work model & I would love to participate in some way, but b/c of this new situation I've been placed in, it just won't be possible & I really don't want to postpone applying just because I lack volunteer experience.

I feel like my experiences in life, in the field and education/general path to social work is unique. I was just hoping lacking volunteer experience wouldn't ruin my chances.

There you have it. I guess I never really answersed your question and for that I apologize. I second WesleySmith

I can't say for sure, because my school is not ultra competitive, but I know they handle it in the manner that Wesley describes. I think your past work history will be a huge bonus to your "experience" category.

Maybe you don't need it, but it will certainly give you the edge. The question is, do you want to be the top pick or na

Very Respectfully,
Sal

Honestly, if you ever do happen to have time (considering your current life's situation) volunteer experience at a place that you would like to work at post-graduation will definitely "put your foot in the door."

Best wishes and good luck to you.