If you are against declawing cats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cozycleo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For many many reasons, I do not support this procedure in any form.

Without knowing how the schools feel about this, is this something that is going to affect my acceptance into vet school? Do you bring up ethical issues at all in your application/personal statement? I imagine it has to come up sooner or later.

I'm just wondering if I'm better off keeping my mouth shut on this one until I get in. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I'd just keep my mouth shut on it unless I'm asked at the interview or some such thing. Complete refusal to do a procedure commonly done at vet clinics under any circumstances at all could probably be seen as a negative point - inflexibility. Not getting into arguments about declawing here again, that's been done. I just don't think there's any point to bringing controversial issues into your application before you even interview.

It never came up in my application. Of course, I had no interviews. I dislike it too. If you don't want a cat, don't get one.

Members don't see this ad :)
For what its worth (not actually being a vet or a vet student) but none of the vets Ive worked with (about 12 from about 4 different schools) were taught declawing procedures while in school. It was discussed in the context of what the procedure is, terminology, anatomy, indications & contraindications, recovery procedures...ect.. but they didnt actually learn how to perform the procedure until they were in an summer internship or after graduation by an associate/ employer/ mentor. Some continue to perform the procedure while others do not and no one thinks poorly of them one way or the other. But you have to realize they (vetschools) probably want you to be "receptive" to new ideas and concepts and not be closed off to things they are going to teach you. At least for me, while I believe in having a strong sense of your ethic or moral compass, I wouldnt want someone to think I was so opinionated that my opinions might prevent me from making a sound decision about the my patients needs and welfare.

Perhaps theres a way to incorporate that concept into showing your passion and interest in animal welfare without coming off as radical or pugnacious (hope I used that correctly :cool:) about the subject.

Last edited:
If they ask, be honest. The interviewers respect you for having opinions as long as you voice them in a rational way. If they don't ask, then for goodness sake don't bring it up. I'm not a fan of the procedure either.

For many many reasons, I do not support this procedure in any form.

Without knowing how the schools feel about this, is this something that is going to affect my acceptance into vet school? Do you bring up ethical issues at all in your application/personal statement? I imagine it has to come up sooner or later.

I'm just wondering if I'm better off keeping my mouth shut on this one until I get in. Any advice?

Most (if not all) schools in the US do not teach declaws routinely (you have to seek it out in a feline club lab or something) so I highly doubt it will come up. If those ethical issues are very strong for you go ahead and bring them up.

I appreciate the responses. I'm new to all of this stuff so I am still trying to figure out how to proceed. I certainly don't want to give the impression of being inflexible. I also appreciate knowing that it may not even be an issue in school. Good to know.

I'm trying to put together my application info in terms of experience, why I want to do this, etc. I won't be able to apply until next year, but I'm trying to get my head around the basics of what I need to be doing since I've got plenty of time.

Thanks again.

The only thing that came up in 2 out of my 3 interviews was euthanasia. Declawing never came up either in application or interviews. I would definitely not mention it. If it does come up, I would at least consider "the other side" of the argument, just so you don't seem too rigid and biased. That said, you can still stand your ground, just don't immediately dismiss other opinions. I think, adcoms really like the "moldability" factor.:D

this could come up in your interview, I had several 'ethics' type questions in mine. If you're going to go for the honesty route, try not to say you think that no-one should be doing declaws, but rather that you disagree with it, would prefer to educate clients and offer alternatives. As others have mentioned it doesn't look good to unilaterally refuse a proceedure that is provided in many clinics. I got the impression that this was the sort of thing they were trying to get at in my interview, that and making sure you're not a PETA member or supporter.

Definitely NOT with PETA. :)

I like the suggestions to not just say no and emphasize alternatives. That I can definitely handle.