If you child fast track do you get a diploma from both institutions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_or_Die

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Might be a silly semantics question but I also can't find the answer to this. If I go to institution X for 3 years and then fast track to child, do you get a graduate diploma from X and Y or only Y? I'm assuming it's the former since you went there for 3 years, but am not sure if you needed all 4 years to be considered a true graduate from a psychiatry program. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Technically, you graduate from adult training from program Y as they certify that you met all requirements and had a full 48 months of training. Almost all programs where you do 36 months at will give you a certificate honoring your service and credit for training, but it will not say you graduated from there.

Reactions: 1 users
FedEx Print and Ship will make you whatever you'd like. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Technically, you graduate from adult training from program Y as they certify that you met all requirements and had a full 48 months of training. Almost all programs where you do 36 months at will give you a certificate honoring your service and credit for training, but it will not say you graduated from there.
This is correct. I had this question too. Fast tracking = transferring residency programs.

Thank you all for replying. I'm probably repeating myself but just wanting to clarify, say hypothetically if you went to tucson for 3 years and fast tracked to phoenix (just made this up), you're saying that both your general psychiatry and fellowship diplomas will say phoenix, but you'd have a 'certificate' from tucson? I ask because I'm trying to see if I should rank an IVY league first in my list and ultimately fast track to X non-ivy, versus I have an option of just combined early fast tracking to X in the first place. Seems like a lot of extra work to have a certificate, I just thought the IVY might help if I choose an academic career. This process is confusing and thanks again. :)

You may have a certificate from Tucson, you might not get a diploma at all from phoenix. I never got a residency graduation diploma from the program I fast tracked to. I had to ask for the certificate from my residency program otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it. These are just pieces of paper you can hang on your wall.

If you choose an academic career, they'll make you list out your training in number of years anyways and won't care where you got your diploma from. Plus academia in psychiatry is woefully uncompetitive so it also doesn't matter in that regard.

Anyone with a pulse gets a job in psychiatry, but good jobs are still a competitive process. Credentials, fellowships, and where you come from still count. There are many bad jobs out there. If you want to get into academia, get in early and understand that the money will be less. Yet, the work is not as widget. Nothing wears out a doctoral professional as much as being someone paid to put out widgets.
Widgets are still part of the game in an early career. The viable academic programs see patients and run services. There is no other way to train competent undergraduate medical students than to make them integrate into multidisciplinary teams and let them fit in. It isn't dependent on who learns the Krebs cycle the best.