If you could change one thing....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ems5184

Denist (future)
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you could change one thing with the current state of dentistry (something to improve it) what would it be and why?

I ask because for one of my business classes we have to write up a business proposal relating to the field we wish to pursue a career in. I just wanted to get some ideas from people as to what would be some areas that could use improvement and how they could be improved. Thanks for your help in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

bump...anyone??

ems5184 said:
If you could change one thing with the current state of dentistry (something to improve it) what would it be and why?

I ask because for one of my business classes we have to write up a business proposal relating to the field we wish to pursue a career in. I just wanted to get some ideas from people as to what would be some areas that could use improvement and how they could be improved. Thanks for your help in advance.

I would get rid of all the fat dental hygenists and replace them with new hot model-like ladies.

That is my dream!

Members don't see this ad :)
ems5184 said:

That was my serious answer. However, for the sake of helping you,,,, I always have a problem with pain.

If you could just invent something new to rid me of that I would be much thankful.

And no I hate sedation....

I would say one of the crucial problems facing dentistry is a shortage of dental care providers in underserved communities. Despite the increased awareness of need for dental care among community, an access to dental care for underserved communities has been limited in the U.S. Indeed, the overall oral health of people in the U.S. has been significantly increased. In many studies, between 1980's and 2000, the number of Americans who had at least one dental visit increased from 10 percent to 60 percent. Every year, the number of children, adults and elderly with decays, dental caries and filled-teeth has been significantly decreasing. Yet, such an improved oral care across the nation does not mean that every community is receiving an adequate oral care. Although the overall care among people in the U.S. has been improved, many underserved communities still struggle to have an access to dental care. This problem arises possibly due to following reasons. 1. people w/ inadequate financial resources - although many governmental programs support them by paying part of the fees, these individuals still struggle to pay the rest of the fees 2. lack of dental care provider in rural area - they have to travel a long distance to visit a dentist and they are less likely to have a frequent-check ups 3. uninsured and unemployed people 4. disabled people 5. immigrants etc.

ems5184 said:

vertical bite said:
I would get rid of all the fat dental hygenists and replace them with new hot model-like ladies.

That is my dream!

LOL.

I'm getting used to Vertical Bite's personality. LOL

jk5177 said:
LOL.

I'm getting used to Vertical Bite's personality. LOL

thanks !

VB

DONT HIRE THEM FATTIES !!!

Dentalist said:
I would say one of the crucial problems facing dentistry is a shortage of dental care providers in underserved communities. Despite the increased awareness of need for dental care among community, an access to dental care for underserved communities has been limited in the U.S. Indeed, the overall oral health of people in the U.S. has been significantly increased. In many studies, between 1980's and 2000, the number of Americans who had at least one dental visit increased from 10 percent to 60 percent. Every year, the number of children, adults and elderly with decays, dental caries and filled-teeth has been significantly decreasing. Yet, such an improved oral care across the nation does not mean that every community is receiving an adequate oral care. Although the overall care among people in the U.S. has been improved, many underserved communities still struggle to have an access to dental care. This problem arises possibly due to following reasons. 1. people w/ inadequate financial resources - although many governmental programs support them by paying part of the fees, these individuals still struggle to pay the rest of the fees 2. lack of dental care provider in rural area - they have to travel a long distance to visit a dentist and they are less likely to have a frequent-check ups 3. uninsured and unemployed people 4. disabled people 5. immigrants etc.

I disagree with you !

Seems like I cant drive anywhere these days without seeing a dental office in every corner.

I see more of them than I do MCDONALDS AND WENDYS/ now are you telling me that we need more MCDONALDS AND WENDYS????

I think your wrong outright....

I think the one that the biggest problems in dentistry is the insurance. Even though there may be alot of dental offices all over, as vertical bite mentioned, how many of them actually cover medicaid?
Also, I think another problem I encountered when I was working at a dental office before was when we made a treatment plan, his insurance only covered 2/3rds of it. We had to do part of it now, and than wait till next year for his insurance to refill. Although this case could wait till next year to refill, what about those cases who cant wait?

The one thing which should certainly change in dentistry is to make it pain free, sound free and stress free!!
am sure any dental patient would agree with me!

grinningrice said:
I think the one that the biggest problems in dentistry is the insurance. Even though there may be alot of dental offices all over, as vertical bite mentioned, how many of them actually cover medicaid?
Also, I think another problem I encountered when I was working at a dental office before was when we made a treatment plan, his insurance only covered 2/3rds of it. We had to do part of it now, and than wait till next year for his insurance to refill. Although this case could wait till next year to refill, what about those cases who cant wait?

The problems facing dentistry:

1. Too many people who complain about oral health disparities and how we should fix them inappropiately. So don't let hygiene practitioners programs form but get those dentists out there to help the needy by donating time/energy to those less fortunate.

2. Too much insurance company pressure into the field. Let's keep them out, it will be much better for the overall health of the profession. FFS = future.

I don't want politicians or 3rd parties regulating what dentists do. If you agree, join the ADA, advocate and make your voice heard.

-Mike

1. Stop charging $500 for $0.50 bleaching trays.
2. Drop the "dental spa" attitude some practices have. This is health care for God's sake, not a nail salon. :mad: