willthatsall

Unretired
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2004
GA
Visit site
Status
Let's just say you were accepted to every med school in America, full-ride and everything. Which one would you pick? I think I would pick Harvard. Just so I could say, "Yeah, I go to this little school up in the northeast. Yeah, you might have heard of it, I'm not sure. It's called HAAAHHVAAHHHD!!!" What about you?

docjolly

On Cloud Nine, Once Again
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2004
The Empire State
Status
Attending Physician
In the land of dreams, I'd like to hear my name being mentioned in the same breath as Harvard...oh, what a sound it would be!;)

However, I really would pick MSSM in NYC. That's my real dream school:love: :love:

About the Ads

OnMyWayThere

OMS-III
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2003
The best coast (west coast)
Status
Originally posted by willthatsall
Let's just say you were accepted to every med school in America, full-ride and everything. Which one would you pick? I think I would pick Harvard. Just so I could say, "Yeah, I go to this little school up in the northeast. Yeah, you might have heard of it, I'm not sure. It's called HAAAHHVAAHHHD!!!" What about you?
Miami

Pinkertinkle

2003 Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
How about the University of California San Francisco!

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
If i could go anywhere I'd pick Geffen. Best medical school in Southern California.

B

Blade28

Yup, exactly, Harvard. Just so you could drop the "H-bomb," as the OP already mentioned. :)

B

Blade28

Originally posted by Deuteronomy
whoever doesn't choose UCLA is craaazy!

many other med schools are better, but how many can beat the location?

case closed!!

:cool:
Not Hawaii? ;)

About the Ads

willthatsall

Unretired
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2004
GA
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by crazy250
Stanford!
Yeah, I think that might be my second choice because I've heard so much great stuff about the location and the school. But then I just think about how much I would love to be just talking to someone and just subtly mention, "yeah, I would love to talk longer, but I really have to run because I have some studying to do. Yeah I've had a lot of studying to do lately. Hey, I guess that's what I get for going to Harvard med school, right?" It would be so immature, but yet so fun.

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Yeah, I think that might be my second choice because I've heard so much great stuff about the location and the school. But then I just think about how much I would love to be just talking to someone and just subtly mention, "yeah, I would love to talk longer, but I really have to run because I have some studying to do. Yeah I've had a lot of studying to do lately. Hey, I guess that's what I get for going to Harvard med school, right?" It would be so immature, but yet so fun.
soon after, a deserved fist would come flying towards your face.

Gleevec

Peter, those are Cheerios
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
Status
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

docmemi

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2003
Los Angeles, Calif.
Visit site
Status
even if i had this special choice, id still pick from my original list (no order): ucla, usc, drew/ucla, and/or uc-irvine. those will always be my dream schools. :love:

SoulRFlare

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
Status
whenever I think of the best medical school/complex in the country, I think of Hopkins and not Harvard...just a weird quirk i guess. that said, I'd probably pick Yale or Umich! :D

rewindthemovie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2004
st. louis
Status
Originally posted by SoulRFlare
whenever I think of the best medical school/complex in the country, I think of Hopkins and not Harvard...
Same. I love Hopkins :D It's definitely my dream school.

Catalyst

Enjoying Life
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2002
MD/NYC
Status
Harvard, because among others, Paul Farmer, Byron Good, Nancy Krieger, and Arthur Kleinman are there, you CAN'T beat that...

Making dual degree plans..

Sachin

spaz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2003
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by SachinG
Harvard, because among others, Paul Farmer, Byron Good, Nancy Krieger, and Arthur Kleinman are there, you CAN'T beat that...

Making dual degree plans..

Sachin
ooh another med anthro person!

i applied to harvard for the same reason... although i knew i had no chance.

joker

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2003
Visit site
Status
penn was my dream school, and still is. it doesnt have quite the same name as harvard or hopkins, but in the medical community, i think it's 3rd right after those two (and maybe columbia). ill be at penn next fall, anyone else with me??:clap:

About the Ads

Brickhouse

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2003
LA2DC and back again...
Status
Resident [Any Field]

LOL !!!!

GWU definitely! :thumbup: And I'm not just saying that to save face cuz that's the only school that accepted my sorry a$$.

E

Eraserhead

If I could go anywhere it would be Cornell, Sinai, NYU, or Columbia. :(

BaseballFan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
Visit site
Status
It's interesting to me that people are always wishing they went to Harvard so that they could casually drop the H-bomb in conversation :)

The students I know who went to Harvard are pretty low-key about the fact that they studied there.

As a grad from another ivy league school, I can tell you that there are stupid and smart, rich and poor, etc. at all schools, including Harvard. Not everyone at these schools are amazing....when it comes down to it, they are people just like everyone else.

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
Status
Hopkins has always been my dream, but I didn't get an interview there.

Columbia/Cornell will be next.

willthatsall

Unretired
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2004
GA
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by BaseballFan
It's interesting to me that people are always wishing they went to Harvard so that they could casually drop the H-bomb in conversation :)

The students I know who went to Harvard are pretty low-key about the fact that they studied there.

As a grad from another ivy league school, I can tell you that there are stupid and smart, rich and poor, etc. at all schools, including Harvard. Not everyone at these schools are amazing....when it comes down to it, they are people just like everyone else.
Yeah, and of course if I was actually at Harvard I would never do that because it would make me the biggest loser in the world. But since I'm not at Harvard, it's fun for me to think about.

About the Ads

camstah

running thru dandelions
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 5, 2003
Los Angleeez
Visit site
Status
surprise surprise....USC would be my pick....

Catalyst

Enjoying Life
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2002
MD/NYC
Status
Originally posted by spaz
ooh another med anthro person!

i applied to harvard for the same reason... although i knew i had no chance.
Yup yup, you know it! I'm planning to do a PhD or MA later in med anthro at some point

Brickhouse

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2003
LA2DC and back again...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by Mr Reddly
It's your dream to live in Baltimore? ah... I'm biased against the place. :(
I was born there !:D

TonyMontana03

Medicine Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Zamunda
Visit site
Status
I would say Weill Cornell is my top choice with Harvard being a close second.

As someone earlier mentioned, the med anthro program at Harvard really grabbed my attention, although I didn't want to return to Cambridge and felt Cornell would provide a similar caliber education with an attractive change of scenery.

periodic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2003
Visit site
Status
quick clarification: the med school at harvard isn't next to the undergrad campus in cambridge, it's in the longwood part of boston.

still, doesn't negate the change of scenary argument too much (boston or nyc).

chrisfeliciano

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2004
Long Island, New York USA
Visit site
Status
I'd go to HMS or Hopkins but who am I to say? Im just a silly freshie.

TonyMontana03

Medicine Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Zamunda
Visit site
Status
periodic

you're right bro... slipped my mind.

Nonetheless... let's say my experience at HU left much to be desired.

celticmists18

california dreaming
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2004
studying for Step 1
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
UCSD, Georgetown, or a nice little medical school in Tuscany (hmmm Chianti)!

traumamonkey

mid-level resident
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2003
on my way...
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hopkins for sure.
soon to be overtaken by columbia. but perhaps that's the rejection talking?

(though i didn't apply or interview at any cali school and i'm sure the weather could make up for a lot. i've spent too much time living through boston winters to deal with harvard. not to mention some of the other negatives....which i'm sure the name might also compensate for, come to think of it!)

About the Ads