If you could go back and do it again...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrBananaGrabber

No Touching!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
... what order would you take your pre-reqs to prepare you best for the MCAT?
I've been searching and it seems like physics is nice to take Junior year right before taking the MCAT. What about Genetics and Biochem/Cellular Biology?

Any feedback would be appreciated, Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Freshman
General Biology 1&2
General Chemistry 1&2

Sophomore
Organic Chemistry 1&2
Physics 1&2
1 Semester of Human Physiology

Summer MCAT (mid-late August; early September)

The reason I wish I did it this way is because it just seems to fit together nicely and allows time for a MCAT retake if needed; contrary to taking the MCAT following junior year before the start of the cycle which is putting all of your hope into one test. It does seem very hefty in terms of courseload; but I took Orgo + Physics both semesters and didn't have a problem with it.

Freshman
General Biology 1&2
General Chemistry 1&2

Sophomore
Organic Chemistry 1&2
Physics 1&2

If I had known that I wanted to go to med school earlier than the end of my freshman year this is exactly how I would've done it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Freshmen year:
Gen Chem(or physics) and Bio

Summer:
Physics( or chem.)

Sophmore year:
Orgo and upper biology

Summer:
MCAT in August

I did something similar to that but I screwed myself a little with some things. I took orgo way too early, so by the time I took my mcat before junior fall semester I had to do alot of relearning. However the timing of the MCAT gave me no worries junior year so it wasn't nearly as stressful as it could have been. It also leaves a nice little buffer for winter and spring retakes.

Last edited:
Freshman
General Biology 1&2
General Chemistry 1&2

Sophomore
Organic Chemistry 1&2
Physics 1&2

The reason I wish I did it this way is because it just seems to fit together nicely and allows time for a MCAT retake if needed; contrary to taking the MCAT following junior year before the start of the cycle which is putting all of your hope into one test. It does seem very hefty in terms of courseload; but I took Orgo + Physics both semesters and didn't have a problem with it.

This sounds like a really good idea, but it would need very good discipline. It would also be hard for those who aren't quite sure what they want to major in as it would give them less time to explore with different elective classes. If I knew what exactly I wanted to do out of HS, this is what I would have followed.

I would definitely get a physiology and genetics class in (BS section speaking) before taking the MCAT. Physio is a huge component of the BS section. More and more of the questions are having some kind of genetic component in them because genetics is such an important part of biology now.

You should obviously have taken orgo, gen chem and physics before. If you have to choose science classes before you take the test, I'd say give first priority to physio, second priority to genetics and last priority to biochem. Orgo should be enough for the BS chemistry sections (at least for the current version of the MCAT).

If I could go back and do it again, it wouldn't be that I would like to take my classes in a different order, but I would engage in tutoring others earlier.

I tutored gen chem during my senior year...had i done it earlier...i would've not had to retake my mcat...haha. (24R to 35R)

I took gchem and math freshman year, bio and ochem soph, and phys in junior year...

My only regret in MCAT prep is not taking biochem (I pretty much followed that schedule but APed out of gen chem)

I wouldn't let 2, 3, or 4.5 years pass between taking the classes and taking the MCAT. It worked out OK in the end, though, just much more studying.

Freshman
General Biology 1&2
General Chemistry 1&2

Sophomore
Organic Chemistry 1&2
Physics 1&2

Christ i was thinking the exact same thing. I would have redone same.

I think the way I did it worked out fairly well for me, but I probably would have taken my anatomy/physiology with organic sophomore year and took physics junior year (like you said Mr. BananaGrabber aka Gob Bluth!) :D