If you could turn back time... Still do it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you still go to medical school?

• Yes

Votes: 101 67.8%
  • No

Votes: 48 32.2%

• Total voters

Planes2Doc

I enjoy the nightlife
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize that SDN doesn't represent the general population, but out of curiosity, I wonder how many people here would still have gone to medical school knowing what they know now. It's a huge sacrifice, and I've seen people change for the worse. Once you're in though, it's often too late to go back because of the time invested, debt, family disappointment, and other factors.

So if you could turn back time, would you still have gone to medical school? This is a serious question that's rarely addressed.

Members don't see this ad.

I realize that SDN doesn't represent the general population, but out of curiosity, I wonder how many people here would still have gone to medical school knowing what they know now. It's a huge sacrifice, and I've seen people change for the worse. Once you're in though, it's often too late to go back because of the time invested, debt, family disappointment, and other factors.

So if you could turn back time, would you still have gone to medical school? This is a serious question that's rarely addressed.

Rarely addressed? Well, if you consider about once a week rare on SDN, I guess so. :p

The answer is yes. A career in medicine has greatly exceeded any possible expectation I had for it and I have encouraged my children who had an interest in medicine to pursue it.

Thanks for asking. Will look for the next time this comes around.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Asking a woman if she would have another child when she's in labor could give a different answer than when her child is 2 years old.

It depends what part of the training you are in - and how that suits your personality.

If I could do it again, I would probably go into engineering or business.

I have an MBA (NYU) and a masters in chemistry . I worked in business for years. Going to medical school was the best thing I ever did. More job security relatively higher pay and greater satisfsction for me. I'd do it gain in a heart beat.

I would probably do it again although I wish my (and everyone else's) loan burden wasn't so ridiculous.

It doesn't mean much coming from someone who only has a year of medical school completed, but I am happy with my decision to go to medical school.

Answering that question right after med school (or during it) doesn't mean much. Ask me again after I finish my intern year, residency, and fellowship (6 more years) applying for jobs and I'll have an answer.

For now, I'm glad med school is over and I don't have to do it again.

If I could do it again, I would probably go into engineering or business.

your a first year, 70k of debt or whatever is nothing in the scheme of life, go do what you want to do.

As for me Im a second year studying for StepI so Im way more bitter than usual, but up to and including this point I can definitely say medschool isn't as bad as advertised. The first two years are kind of just like undergrad 2.0 w/ more interesting subject material. So far not regretting it at all.

At first I was not going to say this (because of backlash etc) but screw it. I would only do it again maybe if I got into a US MD school. I would not go US DO because it turned out I hate OMM, and a few other reasons as well pertaining to the degree. I could explain myself but most likely I will have pre-DO students on here telling me that im wrong. Not specific to the DO degree, I personally am not sure if the amount of time and effort is worth it when there are several other careers that I would be happy with yet allow me have....well.... a life haha

Edit: mind you im not a resident yet...

Members don't see this ad :)
Answering that question right after med school (or during it) doesn't mean much. Ask me again after I finish my intern year, residency, and fellowship (6 more years) applying for jobs and I'll have an answer.

For now, I'm glad med school is over and I don't have to do it again.

Pretty much my sentiment.

Medical school suits some more than others. Being a doctor is vastly different from medical school in most fields - hence why some people loved medical school and hate clinical or whatever medicine they go into - while others hate medical school and love being a physician. And then there's everyone in between.

This question basically doesn't mean anything right now - it's more meaningful to a person 5-10 years out of residency.

Start M1 in the fall.

Would not do again. Would get masters in Global Homeland Security from university of phoenix online.

Damn man.

If i could go back in time? With the knowledge I have now? Wouldn't have deleted that 9/10 blonde chick's number in intro bio after a month because I got a girlfriend. I could go on and on.

Feelsbadman

The answer is easily no. Med school is now becoming filled more and more with gunners, so unless you are one, you are going to be miserable.

Yes. I am really burned out from Step 1 studying though. But that's a small fraction of my time in medicine (yeah I know, "it's only going to get worse")

I would do it again. The debt is awful, yes. But compared to pretty much everything I did before med school, med school is great. I was not really awash in a multitude of lucrative options for my future. Most of the work I did previously was a near minimum wage grind, or pretty dangerous, sometimes both.

I loved the first two years. All I really did was set my own schedule and lie around and read all day. Granted, one doesn't really get to choose one's reading material in medical school, but it was all stuff I really am pretty interested in out of general curiosity anyway.

Third year is a little awkward, as one is constantly being evaluated in an environment where everyone knows a lot more about what is going on and how to do things than you do, but it still is not nearly as lame as many jobs can be. I kind of like reviewing what I have learned and taking multiple choice tests so studying for boards is actually kind of fun for me.

Your life does get kind of insular, and people you know may be out doing interesting things and amassing wealth or producing art or just having a really good time, while you slog day in day out in medical school. So there is that. But if you really involve yourself in your rotations, you do see and do some interesting things. Surgery in the middle of the night is exciting, as is L&D. Floridly psychotic patients make for some memorable experiences. Sometimes you have got to learn to enjoy where you are at, just for the sake of the experience.

Overall yes. Although some parts definitely were terrible and I've questioned this path often.

Finishing up internship in ~50 days

I would do it again. The debt is awful, yes. But compared to pretty much everything I did before med school, med school is great. I was not really awash in a multitude of lucrative options for my future. Most of the work I did previously was a near minimum wage grind, or pretty dangerous, sometimes both.

I loved the first two years. All I really did was set my own schedule and lie around and read all day. Granted, one doesn't really get to choose one's reading material in medical school, but it was all stuff I really am pretty interested in out of general curiosity anyway.

Third year is a little awkward, as one is constantly being evaluated in an environment where everyone knows a lot more about what is going on and how to do things than you do, but it still is not nearly as lame as many jobs can be. I kind of like reviewing what I have learned and taking multiple choice tests so studying for boards is actually kind of fun for me.

Your life does get kind of insular, and people you know may be out doing interesting things and amassing wealth or producing art or just having a really good time, while you slog day in day out in medical school. So there is that. But if you really involve yourself in your rotations, you do see and do some interesting things. Surgery in the middle of the night is exciting, as is L&D. Floridly psychotic patients make for some memorable experiences. Sometimes you have got to learn to enjoy where you are at, just for the sake of the experience.

Thank you for the nice dose of reality.

Might seriously consider becoming a banker or consultant. I couldn't decide in high school but chose medicine. Didn't know doctors are being attacked constantly from all angles by all these professional organizations looking to lower our salaries, reduce autonomy and push us aside. Also add that to the fact that while business people can travel around the world, doctors can't move countries without being subject to many years of licensing not to mention the fact that only in North America are doctors paid anything over 200k (which i was surprised to find out).

if you asked me when i was an MS2 I would have said NO. But now that I'm about to start 4th year I can say yes I would do it again.

Yes. I am really burned out from Step 1 studying though. But that's a small fraction of my time in medicine (yeah I know, "it's only going to get worse")

Step 1 studying definitely defeated me more than any other part of med school thus far. It... just... sucks...

Step 1 studying definitely defeated me more than any other part of med school thus far. It... just... sucks...

You get over it pretty quickly...only to have to do it again for Step 2!

You get over it pretty quickly...only to have to do it again for Step 2!

Let's be honest; none of us studied nearly as hard for Step 2 (even though I personally did think it was a tougher exam).

I would consider taking another year off, exploring the world and living freely. This process can sometimes feel really imprisoning.

Would definitely do it all over again. Except, I think I would have considered potentially taking some time off before matriculating.

About to finish up first year and I would definitely do it again. Medical school is simply not the horror its made out to be so long as you enjoy the prospect of learning the material and becoming a doctor. Im sure step studying will be awful, but I can do anything for 5-6 months :laugh:

Would definitely do it again. The end goal is more important than the steps that are necessary to reach that end goal, IMO. Current MS1/MS2s that are going through their pre-clinical years don't necessarily understand yet.