-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
If you couldn't do optometry...
Started by sandst
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
A chemistry teacher at a nice community college. Nice hours, laid back enviroment and enough pay to live a honest living. In fact, i think teaching what you have learned is the best way to use what most pre opt people already have. May it be bio or physkicks 😉
Ever since planning my own wedding, I've entertained the idea of having a bridal shop or of actually becoming a wedding planner. The stress of plan your own wedding sucks, but planning someone else's day and getting paid for it? Hell yeah! Who knows... perhaps in 30-40 years... I'll think about it!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd mow lawns, but only if I could use a riding mower all the time. I'd hire some punk high school kid to do all pushmowing and trimming. I wouldn't make much money, but i'd get a hell of a tan and be pretty stress-free (assuming my minimum wage high schooler stays in line.)
I would be a self-employed college counselor, who is hired by rich families and individuals to help their kids get into college. And then I would also work pro-bono to help people get into college who have never had college graduates in their family.
my best friend thinks i am the funniest person in the world, so being a stand up comic has come to mind. but in my day dream moments i think about being a bio engineer. designing the future of the human body - gives me the chills... if i was 18 again and just starting college - bioE would be the way i go. oh well maybe my kids...
though i do agree with pretty about wedding/event planning 😍
though i do agree with pretty about wedding/event planning 😍
prettygreeneyes said:Ever since planning my own wedding, I've entertained the idea of having a bridal shop or of actually becoming a wedding planner. The stress of plan your own wedding sucks, but planning someone else's day and getting paid for it? Hell yeah! Who knows... perhaps in 30-40 years... I'll think about it!
Let me just warn you, I'm coming from owning an event planning company and changing careers to optometry because planning your own Wedding is much easier than planning someone else's trust me. On a more positive note -alot of money can be made and it could be a lot of fun at times!
yeah, thats what I thought I wanted to do. 3 years later, I'm out of my PhD program and headed to optometry school.stevec said:I'd probably get a PhD (maybe cell biology?) and do research.
Realistically, I'd be in molecular biology grad school... probably bored as a gourd.sandst said:...what career would you choose instead? Just curious.
Unrealistically, I'd be an interior designer... preferably for one of those crazy TLC/Discovery Channel TV shows. 😀
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And my backup career: I'm swiping the job of that girl on the Travel Channel who gets paid to travel and stay in swank hotels. 😀
cpw said:And my backup career: I'm swiping the job of that girl on the Travel Channel who gets paid to travel and stay in swank hotels. 😀
Please do. While I like her show, I find her personally abrasive and annoying.
VA Hopeful Dr said:... I find her personally abrasive and annoying.
I couldn't agree more!!! cpw... perhaps you could combine a travel show w/ swanky hotels with the occasional optometric humanitarian mission. I could see it now...
"A tough and compassionate optometrist improving the vision of thousands by day... a pampered world traveler by night! Stay tuned..."
prettygreeneyes said:"A tough and compassionate optometrist improving the vision of thousands by day... a pampered world traveler by night! Stay tuned..."
I get the joke but optometric missions generally aren't "humanitarian". Do they make the optometrist feel good? Yes. Do they promote sustainable eye health care in developing countries? No. So in the end do they help individuals? Perhaps. Nations? No.
drgregory rants about commerical optometry, I rant about short-term optometric vision camps. It's my calling. 😉
xmattODx said:I get the joke but optometric missions generally aren't "humanitarian". Do they make the optometrist feel good? Yes. Do they promote sustainable eye health care in developing countries? No. So in the end do they help individuals? Perhaps. Nations? No.
drgregory rants about commerical optometry, I rant about short-term optometric vision camps. It's my calling. 😉
Apparently you don't get the joke because you have transformed a fun and light hearted conversation into a soapbox for one of your rants. 😉
VA Hopeful Dr said:Please do. While I like her show, I find her personally abrasive and annoying.
I think she's too damn perky for her own good ... I'd be much more fun to watch 🙂
prettygreeneyes said:Apparently you don't get the joke because you have transformed a fun and light hearted conversation into a soapbox for one of your rants. 😉
Every opportunity until optometric vision camps have appropriate public health strategies as their driving force!
xmattODx said:Every opportunity until optometric vision camps have appropriate public health strategies as their driving force!
I'm curious to delve into this opinion more... perhaps we should start a new thread... 😀
I'd practice up my fiddling skills then ship off to Tennessee and become discovered by a famous band. I'd travel all over, become famous, and wear really cool outfits! haha
Optometrist by day, fiddler by night! Sounds like a plan to me. 👍
Optometrist by day, fiddler by night! Sounds like a plan to me. 👍
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 328
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 325
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 3K