If you didn't match into derm...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muhali3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What specialty would you have gone into? Would you have even chosen to go to medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My username says it all...

I don't see how you're satisfied in derm if you loved neurosurgery. The specialties seem like polar opposites in almost every way.

I'd be a Family Practice doctor who took some time to read Habif and Bolognia, then I'd claim to be a "Skin Care Expert" and do Dermatology anyway.

I don't see how you're satisfied in derm if you loved neurosurgery. The specialties seem like polar opposites in almost every way.

That's what sometimes happens when one goes to medical school. Go in thinking one of many things (oncology, neurosurgery, medical genetics, pediatrics...) and then leave doing something else. As far as being polar opposites, not at all.

Last edited:
I would have chosen a specialty that made me…

smarter, taller, more eloquent in social situations, grow fur, learn to speak Spanish and a variety of other languages like Swahili, a better team player, qualified to host a game show in Arabic, think like a butterfly and sting like a flea, have shiny teeth and healthy gums, become alcohol intolerant on Tuesdays and Thursdays, capable of flight, a fantastic badminton player, proficient in figurine design and manipulation, a competent but much unloved magician, a whale rider, a taco vendor, a sales rep. for Payless Shoe Source, a finless dolphin, a dolphinless fin, an unencumbered B movie actress, a Quaalude addict on the path to recovery, a post-supernova galaxy, a differential equation, better than gravity, the originator of nanotechnological circuitry that restores hearing to deaf children, humble to the point of exhaustion, prideful to the point of exuberance, painfully literate, an expert on nostalgia, a turnip made of diamonds, an overripe orange, a car salesman with a penchant for forgery, a Saturday morning cartoon, a laser-guided missile, a 3rd grade teacher who has given his first F and feels bad about it, a Jeopardy champion, a Wheel of Fortune runner up, a broken dictation machine that consistently omits the word ‘oblong' from sentences, a blind airline pilot who senses aircraft directionality using his heightened ability to detect minute fluctuations in the electromagnetic spectrum, a horse whisperer, a frog shouter, and an expert on Thai-infused New Orleans Cuisine.

Last edited:
I would have chosen a specialty that made me…

smarter, taller, more eloquent in social situations, grow fur, learn to speak Spanish and a variety of other languages like Swahili, a better team player, qualified to host a game show in Arabic, think like a butterfly and sting like a flea, have shiny teeth and healthy gums, become alcohol intolerant on Tuesdays and Thursdays, capable of flight, a fantastic badminton player, proficient in figurine design and manipulation, a competent but much unloved magician, a whale rider, a taco vendor, a sales rep. for Payless Shoe Source, a finless dolphin, a dolphinless fin, an unencumbered B movie actress, a Quaalude addict on the path to recovery, a post-supernova galaxy, a differential equation, better than gravity, the originator of nanotechnological circuitry that restores hearing to deaf children, humble to the point of exhaustion, prideful to the point of exuberance, painfully literate, an expert on nostalgia, a turnip made of diamonds, an overripe orange, a car salesman with a penchant for forgery, a Saturday morning cartoon, a laser-guided missile, a 3rd grade teacher who has given his first F and feels bad about it, a Jeopardy champion, a Wheel of Fortune runner up, a broken dictation machine that consistently omits the word ‘oblong’ from sentences, a blind airline pilot who senses aircraft directionality using his heightened ability to detect minute fluctuations in the electromagnetic spectrum, a horse whisperer, a frog shouter, and an expert on Thai-infused New Orleans Cuisine.

How's that manic episode working out for ya?

Plastics, ENT or Allergy/Asthma. All of these provide similar intellectual challenges and reasonable expectations for practices built around the outpatient setting.

If you are a sadist, I would also recommend REI, but in my opinion, it's not worth being abused for 4 years in an OB residency to obtain.

I would try again!

(damn this whole dermatology application process thing sucks)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Was going to write -- please call me, UCSF -- in smiley faces, but instead i'm going to enjoy my holiday weekend.

:) :) :) :)

Enjoy Thanksgiving Day everyone~! :)

Plastics was my backup. I love telling that to my PS and GS friends who remember those days... they still get mad. :D