If You Don't Get In

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes!!! Come join us on the yacht. We will have a blast!! :D
If you win the lottery, your option might move up a few letters ;)

Actually, getting a Masters will mean doing more hands-on lab work when you're finished. A Ph.D. level position will mostly involve writing grants, generating research proposals for others to actually carry out, writing and revising manuscripts, and mentoring and supervising other people. You will spend an awful lot more time sitting at a desk with a Ph.D. level position than a Masters level position. With a Masters, you'll actually be performing the bench or field work.
nyanko - gosh, you know so much. I would salute you if I could but this will have to suffice:claps:

Kaydubs, what's changed? I didn't realize until you posted on the Tufts thread today!
For any other minds that had been curious, it was a tough call to ask for a one year deferment. Besides other minor reasons weighing in this summer, I started really second-guessing and doubting if vet school was where I wanted to be (this is the sparknotes version). It was the hardest decision that I ever had to make, hands down. In fact, I'm still scratching my head about the whole thing to be honest (and fighting the urge to kick myself).

And, gang, if I win the lottery, I'll donate it to fund students who need to get to vet school but hesitate cause of finances (right after I pay off those pesky undergrad loans.....)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't even know what plan I'm on at this point....

Round 1: Got waitlisted at my in-state, rejected everywhere else
First Plan B: go to grad school and get my MS
Check!

Round 2: Reapplied, and once again was waitlisted at my in-state, rejected everywhere else
Plan C: since I've been living in a different state, I changed residencies and IS school. After defending my MS, I got a job I LOVE working with monkeys.

And that brings us up to this year.
Round 3: Apply once more to vet school! (3rd time's the charm?)

Either I get in this year, or I recognize that the reason I'm here now, with an MS and an amazing job, is in no small part due to the hard work I've put towards vet school. None of that will ever be wasted effort. So, I'm feeling great about my life right now either way. It took me a long time to look at it this way but I really believe it. And having a monkey to play with all day helps :)

princesspeaches: you own. Wow.:thumbup::thumbup:

... having a monkey to play with all day helps :)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Kindred spirit! :zip:

When I build my yurt to live amongst them, you'll have to come and visit!

Oh yes, kaydubs - rock on, my friend, rock on!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am still debating whether to:
1) gain residency in a less-competitive place and keep applying
2) pursue a Masters in parasite ecology. I will be discussing this option with a professor over the weekend.

Nice! My current research is in parasite ecology!

Being a 2nd time applicant:
1) I think I am going to apply to Ross/SGU, then in the fall apply to US schools (again).

2)Maybe look for a MS in veterinary parasitology, or perhaps vet pathology.

2)If the above don't work out, theirs always the military. I hear they are always hiring ;)

-- Truthfully, I have a hard time accepting defeat so I will probably be applying every year until I am 80 if I don't get in.

Last edited:
Nice! My current research is on parasite ecology!

2)If the above don't work out, theirs always the military. I hear they are always hiring ;)

Hate to bring bad news but even the military is overrun now. People are having such time finding jobs they are going to the military. My sister is currently in the military and they are offering people currently in the military the opportunity to get out early. My sister is possibly going to be able to leave after only a 3 year commitment when she signed up for 4 years +, I think, 2 years of reserves afterwards. And even if she leaves early she will still receive all of her military benefits.

Hate to bring bad news but even the military is overrun now. People are having such time finding jobs they are going to the military. My sister is currently in the military and they are offering people currently in the military the opportunity to get out early. My sister is possibly going to be able to leave after only a 3 year commitment when she signed up for 4 years +, I think, 2 years of reserves afterwards. And even if she leaves early she will still receive all of her military benefits.

True, my brother is also in the Navy right now and I know they are being very picky about PT: fail you get the boot. I am just hoping the house cleaning will be done in a year or two.

Hate to bring bad news but even the military is overrun now. People are having such time finding jobs they are going to the military.

DVMDream, what route did your sister use to get in?

My former-marine-now-navy-officer friend tells me that they're *always* looking for good officer material (including now); they just don't need as many enlistees. I've no idea if he's correct, though.

I'll apply 3 times. If I get rejected all 3 times, I'll reevaluate my life and where I want to go, and maybe go into environmental or International law, or International relations. Still want to save animals in other ways I can :)

But here's to getting in on my first 3 app cycle!!!

Either I get in this year, or I recognize that the reason I'm here now, with an MS and an amazing job, is in no small part due to the hard work I've put towards vet school. None of that will ever be wasted effort. So, I'm feeling great about my life right now either way. It took me a long time to look at it this way but I really believe it. And having a monkey to play with all day helps :)

Thank you so much for writing this. I got into RVC but unfortunately can't afford it, and I have one more shot at my IP vet school, and I also already got my MSc as a back up plan but still hoping it would get me in. And I've been thinking I've wasted everything I've done so far and that I'm a failure.

But thinking about it the way you put it, actually makes me feel better. Now I just have to find a job that I will love also... working on Plan C is a lot harder than I thought! Everything happens for a reason right?

Ditto that - as I'm on my third cycle, I am trying to face up to what I might want to do if I don't get in this time. I suppose I could go back to journalism, or even go back to english and maybe teaching, but I just don't know if I'd want to pursue an advanced degree in anything else. I am currently just trying to get through the end of my Tufts application, and wait until after the winter months to worry about it because otherwise I'll go completely mad.

Nice! My current research is in parasite ecology!

Being a 2nd time applicant:
1) I think I am going to apply to Ross/SGU, then in the fall apply to US schools (again).

2)Maybe look for a MS in veterinary parasitology, or perhaps vet pathology.

I just might message you. We should chat!
I talked with my old thesis supervisor today. He said that there are a few options for students with a Masters: teaching at a community college, research, technician in a biomedical lab... it depends a lot on what your area of research is and what your skills are. You could end up doing something related to your research or you could end up doing something completely different because you acquired the skills to do it. I was told that it does not open very many doors, but may open more doors than what you could do with a B.Sc. Unfortunately, there is not a list that tells you exactly what you can do. The only way to know if a Masters is right for you is to talk to some Masters students. I plan on doing that in the near future.

DVMDream, what route did your sister use to get in?

My former-marine-now-navy-officer friend tells me that they're *always* looking for good officer material (including now); they just don't need as many enlistees. I've no idea if he's correct, though.

She just enlisted herself 2 and 1/2 years ago. It was hard but not as difficult as I hear it is now. She did all the PT and the testing to see what kind of job she would qualify for then and they accepted her and off she went. She said the recuiter that she went to 2 and 1/2 years ago told her that they went from accepting just about anyone who could pass PT to accepting around 3-4 people/month.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad that you guys appreciate my sentiment! Right after my second round of apps and still no acceptances I was pretty upset--I didn't start out with any kind of a good attitude about it, that took some time and thinking.

I want to be a veterinarian because I love science and I love working with animals, and there is more than one way to reach that goal. Getting hung up on the "what-ifs" has never gotten me anywhere in life.

Also there's a big thank you owed to everyone on Student Doctor for all your help along the way! :)

I'm glad that you guys appreciate my sentiment! Right after my second round of apps and still no acceptances I was pretty upset--I didn't start out with any kind of a good attitude about it, that took some time and thinking.

I want to be a veterinarian because I love science and I love working with animals, and there is more than one way to reach that goal. Getting hung up on the "what-ifs" has never gotten me anywhere in life.

Also there's a big thank you owed to everyone on Student Doctor for all your help along the way! :)

Thank you for reminding me of that. Continue to be optimistic! optimism is contagious! regardless of how/when/where you achieve your goals, you'll find a way to do so!

Ooo backup plans. Always important.

If I don't get in this year I've been blessed with an awesome opportunity for next year and then I'll re-apply again.

I'm planning on pursuing a Masters in Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences. I just found out that since I have so much previous research experience the department is willing to take me on as a "student-wage". Which means they will provide my funding! Woohoooo. This is awesome since the professor I have been working for has a super tight budget and wasn't going to be able to keep me unless I got my own $$$.

So that's my current plan, if I don't get in this year, I'm gonna pursue the Master's and reapply next year, if they shoot me down again, I'll switch it to a PhD and go from there :)

But we're all gonna get in this year, so no worries! :thumbup:

Is it a horrible thing to admit that even though this is only my first application cycle, I don't think I can let myself do it again? Sometimes I feel like I'm wasting precious time chasing an unrealistic dream...and I'm almost 24, it seems so old, right?

I think this whole process has completely warped my brain. It's made me feel too old, too stupid, too unaccomplished...I went in to this whole thing completely confident and sure of myself, and now I'm so shaken and dejected. Hate this.

Is it a horrible thing to admit that even though this is only my first application cycle, I don't think I can let myself do it again? Sometimes I feel like I'm wasting precious time chasing an unrealistic dream...and I'm almost 24, it seems so old, right?

I think this whole process has completely warped my brain. It's made me feel too old, too stupid, too unaccomplished...I went in to this whole thing completely confident and sure of myself, and now I'm so shaken and dejected. Hate this.

Heard. I'm 27. Will be 28 if I start next year. A BUNCH of ppl on here are much older. Don't sweat it. At least for our sake!

Anyway, if I don't get it, I'll keep trying. In the meantime, I'm NYS certified to teach Biology, so I can pursue a job in that...

I know how you feel, but you really have to weigh whether veterinary medicine is important to you. Some interesting advice that I recieved from the dean of admissions here at CSU- in ten years you will be 34, would you rather be 34 with a vet degree, practicing in a field you are passionate about or not? I guess you should think about this question whether you get in this year or not.

And 24 in NOT old. People have entire careers, and then go to vet med.

I am 31, will be 32 when I start, if I get in this year. This is my 4th application. I have my MS degree in vet med, I have an excellent job as a researcher at a pharmaceutical company. The way I look at it is, I can keep on doing what I do for the next 34 or so years. . . or I can go to vet school and have my dream job for the next 30 or so years:) You are never too old!

Yeah, I heard it too...my kids are older than 24! This has nothing to do with age, so don't use it as an excuse. If you want to do it, do it. If not, then don't. Yes...I am old, but my brain still works and I have a desire to pursue a lifelong (very long) dream.

Can we make it an SDN Rule (or perhaps, LAW) that no one is allowed to complain about their age if they are under 65? :rolleyes:

and just so I'm not totally off the tracks....I was 25 (still am, actually) when I started vet school and although a large amount of the students are a few years younger, there are quite a few my age and older.....It's NOT OLD! (wait...what's that noise?? oh. Just a broken record....) :p

Wow, didn't mean to hurt any feelings or anything...

This whole process just makes you second guess everything about yourself. Obviously 24 is NOT old at all, and the fact that I'm even feeling that way is just a testament to how much the application process can turn you on yourself and warp your perception of everything.

This whole process just makes you second guess everything about yourself. Obviously 24 is NOT old at all, and the fact that I'm even feeling that way is just a testament to how much the application process can turn you on yourself and warp your perception of everything.

It really does - the average age in my class when we started was 24, so you're right on the mean. :)

I was 25 the first time I applied and swore up and down that if I didn't get in, I wouldn't apply again. I thought if it was meant to be, it would happen for me that cycle and if not, then I would find a backup plan. Well, I didn't get in and I applied again at 26! I got accepted and am now a first year vet student at 27. My classmates are amazing, my life is in order and I am at a point in my life where I can 100% dedicate myself to becoming a vet. I don't know that I would have been in the same place had I gotten accepted the first time around.

Long story short is you never know why something happens, but you have to trust that however it does, it is meant to be. Easy to say coming from someone who was succesful the second time around, but trust me, it is worth every agonizing hour of applications. It is worth the embarrassment of going to your LORs and telling them you need them to rewrite you letters.

Everyone has their own limits of what they are willing to go through to be a veterinarian. Applications are a cakewalk compared to this!

got wait-listed at one place, and rejected at another this year- so I'm taking the rest of the year off to work and travel. Planning for Thailand, India and Nepal, and also seeing more of Australia in 2012.

If I don't get in on my 3rd try, I'm going to continue on with a 2nd degree in Animal Science and keep trying from there.

I'm 25 and was hung up on the "I'm old and what if I don't get in again" thing, but I'm sort of over that now.

Don't forget to live your life, I've sort of been off the boards for a while now because I got so tired of hearing/reading "ad coms this, ad coms that, blah blah".

Obviously we all want to be vets and fulfill our dreams- but don't forget to enjoy life because its YOUR life, to the ad coms, you're just another number.

So try and enjoy yourself and your life a bit, and always remember, half the fun in reaching your goal, is the stuff you do on path you take to actually get there.

:)

So try and enjoy yourself and your life a bit, and always remember, half the fun in reaching your goal, is the stuff you do on path you take to actually get there.

:)

It is so hard to keep this in perspective.

sometimes you've got to make a big change, or even just a small one in your life to put things in to perspective. Time off is sooo important, wether its a day or a year you take off. Even if its something new, like taking a different route home after work, or quitting your job for a better one!

Life is too short to get stuck in a rut!

sometimes you've got to make a big change, or even just a small one in your life to put things in to perspective. Time off is sooo important, wether its a day or a year you take off. Even if its something new, like taking a different route home after work, or quitting your job for a better one!

:thumbup:

this is exactly why i took a year off after graduation from college instead of applying my senior year. i am so glad that i took this time to really think about WHY i want to be a vet and had the time to really put together my application the way i wanted to.

It really is. We have an anatomy test Monday, a radiology test that opens Monday (but can be taken any time over the next week), a histology test Tuesday, and a nutrition test Wednesday. So everyone is stressed out about it all.

I'm no better than anyone else, but I try to occasionally stop and remind myself how badly I wanted to be here and how much effort I put into getting here and how it needs to be fun even while in the midst of all the stress and pressure. It's hard to do that successfully all the time. I had a really crappy week last week and I think I didn't really show up to school mentally at all.

Anyway. I know that right now all most of you care about is getting into school. But really, you need to get in the habit NOW of not making vet school your entire life. It's hard enough to keep perspective once you're IN it - don't start down the path of making it everything before you're even there. :)

ETC: I actually wrote that we have a history test instead of histology. Sigh.

It really is. We have an anatomy test Monday, a radiology test that opens Monday (but can be taken any time over the next week), a histology test Tuesday, and a nutrition test Wednesday. So everyone is stressed out about it all.

I'm no better than anyone else, but I try to occasionally stop and remind myself how badly I wanted to be here and how much effort I put into getting here and how it needs to be fun even while in the midst of all the stress and pressure. It's hard to do that successfully all the time. I had a really crappy week last week and I think I didn't really show up to school mentally at all.

Anyway. I know that right now all most of you care about is getting into school. But really, you need to get in the habit NOW of not making vet school your entire life. It's hard enough to keep perspective once you're IN it - don't start down the path of making it everything before you're even there. :)

ETC: I actually wrote that we have a history test instead of histology. Sigh.

Well said!! and have a beer or something LetItSnow, relax for a minute.... you don't want to mess up on your HISTORY test ;)

This has been a sore subject for the last 4 years.

I'm on my fourth application cycle for my IS school, UTK, and have decided this is my last application, at least for a while

While I was in undergrad, I was kicked in the chest and the face by a horse and had to withdraw due to my injuries. I was attending an OOS private school, so coming home was a big ordeal.

I attempted to attend UTK's undergrad to finish my pre-reqs, but hated the switch from a small, intimate school to a huge school where i felt invisible. Plus, I was still battling side effects from my injuries.

While at UTK I applied twice, was interviewed, but still got rejected.

After 2 rejections, I decided to go back to my private school to finish my double major (Animal Science & Biology) and applied again (last year). Again, got an interview but was rejected.

It was then I enacted my first plan B - Ross. I applied the day it was accredited. I got my acceptance letter, and that was bittersweet. I felt accomplished that got in, but still defeated as I knew I couldn't afford it.

I'm now in progress of my plan C: Becoming a licensed vet tech.

But I'm really leaning towards plan D for a career: Become a sales rep for a veterinary company - Hill's Pet Nutrition would be my first choice (no stones please - I love this company, even if the majority of you don't! :cool: )

But I'm really leaning towards plan D for a career: Become a sales rep for a veterinary company - Hill's Pet Nutrition would be my first choice (no stones please - I love this company, even if the majority of you don't! :cool: )
Sounds like good plans to me. You should be fine however it works out, but of course Good Luck.

This has been a sore subject for the last 4 years.

I'm on my fourth application cycle for my IS school, UTK, and have decided this is my last application, at least for a while

While I was in undergrad, I was kicked in the chest and the face by a horse and had to withdraw due to my injuries. I was attending an OOS private school, so coming home was a big ordeal.

I attempted to attend UTK's undergrad to finish my pre-reqs, but hated the switch from a small, intimate school to a huge school where i felt invisible. Plus, I was still battling side effects from my injuries.

While at UTK I applied twice, was interviewed, but still got rejected.

After 2 rejections, I decided to go back to my private school to finish my double major (Animal Science & Biology) and applied again (last year). Again, got an interview but was rejected.

It was then I enacted my first plan B - Ross. I applied the day it was accredited. I got my acceptance letter, and that was bittersweet. I felt accomplished that got in, but still defeated as I knew I couldn't afford it.

That's an emotional story. I hope all goes well with plans C & D :xf:

I very much agree with Lostbunny and LetItSnow. If we put all our eggs into one basket in life, we can never be completely happy. Even if we do get into vet school, the life of a vet student and of a vet cannot be all-fulfilling. We need our other activities and people and a sense of self outside of careers. People who don't have that get burned out. I have such a full life already that I sometimes question whether I can fit vet school and a career in with all the rest of it. If I get in, I will have to squeeze some other things to the side, but not completely out or it just wouldn't be worth it for me. I can't give up my life to be a vet. I just want to be a vet and have that be an important part of who I am.

Jamr0ckin ---> you are my new hero. Good luck with everything and continue to inspire! :luck:

I don't even know what plan I'm on at this point....

Round 1: Got waitlisted at my in-state, rejected everywhere else
First Plan B: go to grad school and get my MS
Check!

Round 2: Reapplied, and once again was waitlisted at my in-state, rejected everywhere else
Plan C: since I've been living in a different state, I changed residencies and IS school. After defending my MS, I got a job I LOVE working with monkeys.

And that brings us up to this year.
Round 3: Apply once more to vet school! (3rd time's the charm?)

This sounds exactly like me! 3rd time better be the charm, because it's the last shot I've got!!

I'm on the fence again about what to do next year if I don't get in.
I am a certified biology teacher in NYS and am about 2/3 of the way through my Masters in math/sci/tech education. Originally, I thought I'd apply again and continue taking grad classes to finish my degree. Now, I'm feeling like I don't WANT to teach... GRRRR. My mom and boyfriend tell me that it would be a waste of money for me to not finish it, but I'm feeling like it would be a waste of money AND time TO finish it. I totally want to be in school and doing something that I love while furthering my education. I deally, this will be in vet school. But, assuming this doesn't work out, I just don't know what to do. I'm debating how many more times to try and what to do in the meantime. Feeling the anxiety and indecisiveness kicking in!!! :confused: :eek: :scared:

I'm on the fence again about what to do next year if I don't get in.
I am a certified biology teacher in NYS and am about 2/3 of the way through my Masters in math/sci/tech education. Originally, I thought I'd apply again and continue taking grad classes to finish my degree. Now, I'm feeling like I don't WANT to teach... GRRRR. My mom and boyfriend tell me that it would be a waste of money for me to not finish it, but I'm feeling like it would be a waste of money AND time TO finish it. I totally want to be in school and doing something that I love while furthering my education. I deally, this will be in vet school. But, assuming this doesn't work out, I just don't know what to do. I'm debating how many more times to try and what to do in the meantime. Feeling the anxiety and indecisiveness kicking in!!! :confused: :eek: :scared:
are you opening this up to a vote?? I would vote....get more [animal/vet] experience & see if you can hear from anyone about how to improve your app (such as what issues might have been with your app materials/interview/personality....ya know;)). If you think it's a waste and want to go to vet school regardless....Don't Settle!!!:luck::xf::luck:Hopefully, you won't have to force the issue!

are you opening this up to a vote?? I would vote....get more [animal/vet] experience & see if you can hear from anyone about how to improve your app (such as what issues might have been with your app materials/interview/personality....ya know;)). If you think it's a waste and want to go to vet school regardless....Don't Settle!!!:luck::xf::luck:Hopefully, you won't have to force the issue!

I'm totally up for a vote :thumbup:... I have a bunch of experience. I mean, I could use some more LA, but for the most part, I'm not worried about experience. It's grades +pity+
Grad school is definitely helping my overall gpa, but not in classes that really "count." I'm more tempted to just bag the whole education degree altogether and go into something else. BUT, I don't want to make that commitment and be expecting to get into vet school too. It just seems like I'd be focusing on two things, only to have to bail on one of them. I really REALLY don't want to give up on vet school, but I'm also getting older and don't want to spend years of my life trying for something that really MAY NOT HAPPEN!! I want to have something to fall back on, but something that I equally love doing. I feel like I'm asking for the moon here.... It's hard to know where to draw the line, if there is one to be drawn.... :shrug:

Thoughts? Anyone in a similar boat? And kaydubs, love your enthusiasm :soexcited:

Thoughts? Anyone in a similar boat? And kaydubs, love your enthusiasm :soexcited:

I'm full of enthusiasm most days ;) I can only say/believe the whole "don't settle" stuff after seriously considering alternative routes from vet med. That's why I'm 2016 now and not 2015 (at least partially why). Up until....about 2 weeks ago, I was in the grad school pile cause I wanted to be (I wanted my MS or PhD in marine bio). Then I saw everyone waving from the 2016 bandwagon - and I had to get back on.:laugh:

JMJ - I vote for you to apply again if you don't get in the first round. What you do during the interim year should be something that will enhance your application...and I think that more courses (biology, which you'll be doing in grad school) and more LA experience simultaneously sounds great. But....I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you don't have to wait another year and will get in this time!

As for myself, if I don't get in this time I am looking into a DO program (LECOM). It is nearby(ish), inexpensive (relatively) and short (3 year program if I go year round). Also, the starting salaries are higher than those for veterinarians. I want to be a doctor because learning medical science and helping others are my passions. I'd prefer to be an animal doctor, but if it doesn't happen I could be happy as a primary care physician. I am too old to reapply to vet school (really), and have been through too much to try to enhance my application any further. My grades are awesome (if I do say so myself), and my GRE is well above average. I have animal and vet experience that is probably average in numbers of hours but very broad. So, if I don't get in I feel it will be time to move on because I'm not in a position to keep adding onto my resume and hoping that someone will notice some incremental improvement.

I know the whole age thing was awhile ago on this thread but I can understand the feeling. I'll be 27 this spring...not too old for vet school at all, but my back-up plans kind of involve an age limit, so sometimes it's hard to decide how many applications I should allow myself before I go for Plan B.

So it just got finalized with an email last week...

But, I'm actually pretty excited about my back-up plan for next year. So as of right now if I don't get accepted to VMRCVM I'm going to get my Masters in Biomedical and Veterinary Science a VT (This department is awesome because it is directly affiliated to the Vet School and the Grad School). Plus, it'll let me have an extra year to beef up my app for the following application cycle and get some of my Vet School classes out of the way while completing a Masters! If I work my butt off and stay this summer I can finish it in a year. Best part, the department JUST officially offered to take me on as a student wage & I would get full funding and a stipend. AWESOME! So now instead of paying tuition, they're paying me to go to school. See, hard work does pay off sometimes! Hopefully I'll keep paying off and I can get into Vet School too! :xf: Goodluck guys!

Last edited:

^ This is brilliant, and so true. AMEN lostbunny.

Because I am only in my third year as an undergrad, I plan to stay for another year if I don't get in. I'll just double major by adding on a major in Biochem and then get that minor in Japanese I am so close to earning. :D While finishing a major in three years is nice because I get through school more quickly, it also is depressing because I haven't had a chance to get as much experience as some, and I had to sacrifice a few fun courses. It's been my goal to finish ungrad in three years, so I won't let myself regret not getting that minor.

If I don't get in next year, I'll go to grad school, and I'll keep applying every year until I get into veterinary school. I have faith I will get in eventually. It also doesn't help that I am stubborn and competitive. :p That's just who I am. If my boyfriend (or family) beats my high score on a game, I will literally keep playing the game obsessively all day until I beat their score. I won't let rejections bring me down.

I wouldn't mind going to St. George's if I don't get in after two tries. I think going to a school in the Caribbean would be fun, but I would be very hesitant to leave my boyfriend and salamander behind.....especially the leaving the salamander completely in my boyfriend's care part. :laugh: