If you fail step II CS can you still go into internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocean11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
can you? we graduate, we just need to 'sit' for it.... but if you fail step II CS can you start intership.... arghghgh just want to know my results!

Members don't see this ad.

can you? we graduate, we just need to 'sit' for it.... but if you fail step II CS can you start intership.... arghghgh just want to know my results!

It depends on the program and state. But generally speaking, the answer is unfortunately NO.

The real problem is the state medical boards. Most states require interns to have a training license before they can start at the hospital. To get a training license the states require you to pass Step I, Step II CK, and Step II CS.

If your residency is in a state that does not require a training license for intern year, then you just may be in luck.

Completely agree with Medblazer. Also, you can look up the school you matched to on FREIDA online, it has a info about whether you need to pass the Step 2:

"Applicants must have passed USMLE Step 2-CS before starting a first-year position in 2008" (Yes/No)

Anyway, just wait for your score. I was doing the same worrying last month, but I ended up passing. (LOL, I was already looking for testing centers to retake it, and planning on what to say to the program I matched to) Odds are you passed.

the program i matched at does not have much info on Frieda. Anyone know where else I can find out where I can this information? Where can we find the state requirements?