If you had a massive trust fund, would you still pursue medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you still pursue medicine?

• Yes!

Votes: 186 67.9%
  • Nope!

Votes: 88 32.1%

• Total voters
Being independently wealthy would make pursuing medicine so much easier. I wouldn't have had to scrimp and save to buy the AAMC practice CBTs. I could have a nice apartment, conveniently located to med school. I could waste less time on living frugally, and focus more on what really interests me. I'd graduate debt free, and be able to make career decisions without worrying about making the numbers add up.

Members don't see this ad.

Being independently wealthy would make pursuing medicine so much easier. I wouldn't have had to scrimp and save to buy the AAMC practice CBTs. I could have a nice apartment, conveniently located to med school. I could waste less time on living frugally, and focus more on what really interests me. I'd graduate debt free, and be able to make career decisions without worrying about making the numbers add up.

My friend, you are doing it wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd go to med school, maybe in my late 30's or something, just to get the degree. I wouldn't pursue a residency and I certainly wouldn't practice. But it'd be nice to check the "get an MD degree" off the bucket-list.

Sure, I would just use portion of the money on some high level tutors and go around killing the curve in every class i take.

Or I will just use the money to one up that guy that has 24 graduate degrees.

Last edited:
Sure, I would just use portion of the money on some high level tutors and go around killing the curve in every class i take.

Or pay someone to take the class for you/bribe the professor/pay off the class to take a dive.

Pursue medicine? No. Drop out of college, like, right now? Yes.

I'd go to med school, maybe in my late 30's or something, just to get the degree. I wouldn't pursue a residency and I certainly wouldn't practice. But it'd be nice to check the "get an MD degree" off the bucket-list.

Now this is ridiculous

You are going to go to school full time for 4 years and go through clinicals and studying just for MD behind your name?

Spend 200k and buy a degree if you just want the letters

Only 24? Weaksauce...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. I enjoy medicine too much not to actually work. And besides eventually that trust fund will run out and then I would be SOL if I didn't have a job.

I'd definitely have a harder time not pursuing a PhD in Neuroscience instead. Since perhaps as having the incredible financial security takes pressure of attaining tenure, grants, etc if im fully loaded.
But I'd still want a clinical job working with people. so probably yes? I can say definitely less pressure on getting in and getting the career started ASAP. Wouldn't have mind enjoying my 20s then started the career in science/medicine. thats what i know for sure.:cool:

haha i dont know why i even responded to this

yes, being a physician entails a life of discovery. this isn't dora the explorer.

Actually,
51b1E8gQf-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Now this is ridiculous

You are going to go to school full time for 4 years and go through clinicals and studying just for MD behind your name?

Spend 200k and buy a degree if you just want the letters

Why is that ridiculous? It's something I'd like to do, along with travel most of the globe and own a beach home. If I had the money to do anything, why not?

Unless having money somehow lets me operate on patients, no. I prefer having a medical education.

Why is that ridiculous? It's something I'd like to do, along with travel most of the globe and own a beach home. If I had the money to do anything, why not?

Cause people will write NYTimes editorials about you and then premeds will discuss how you're a waste of space/money? ;)

hell yes i'd still pursue medicine,
and after i complete my residency and graduate, i'd spend 4 days of the week seeing patients and the rest doing whatever hobbies strike my fancy

Me: **** no.

But I know at least two trust fund babies (see 8 figures plus) who are residents. And another who wants to go into NS next year... :eek:

yes, being a physician entails a life of discovery. this isn't dora the explorer.

True Post^

I think they already discovered all the organs of the human body, there's not gonna be some Eric01 gland waiting to be found and named, sorry bro. And I wouldn't go to med school, I'd liquify a ton of $100 bills and inject them into the veins of everyone with HIV to cure them if I really wanted to work in the medical field.

Yes, absolutely, in fact I would be MORE likely to go to medical school because I wouldn't have to constantly worry about bills. The biggest deterrent to me for going to medical school is that I desperately want to start my life and begin earning money instead of investing it. I want to buy a house, put money in savings, get myself a new car, etc. etc., things my friends and non-medical school classmates have been doing for years. Looking at 4 more years of school then 4 years of residency is like looking at 8 more years of having no money and EVERY DAY I fight with the urge to just get my 2 year PA degree and be done with it all.

True Post^

I think they already discovered all the organs of the human body, there's not gonna be some Eric01 gland waiting to be found and named, sorry bro. And I wouldn't go to med school, I'd liquify a ton of $100 bills and inject them into the veins of everyone with HIV to cure them if I really wanted to work in the medical field.

I don't even know how to approach this, I guess I could simply say what I meant by discovery.

Discovery in terms of learning from experiences. You have experiences as a doctor, most of them routine, some not. Just like life. Unlike life, the experiences you face will be in an arena completely different than most other types of professions.

If you can't appreciate what it means to be a doctor, I don't really know how else to put it.

This thread is so interesting, I really think the number from people in medical school and those who are premed would be very different. But doesn't that say something about medical education? Isn't there something wrong with a system engineered to train doctors, and the effect that system actually has is beating the desire out of them? I think medical education right now is such an archaic, ridiculous system. Hat's off to those schools that are trying to change that, and hats off to those of you who would still do it despite money not being an issue.

I would not go to med school if I had enough money. But I would have answered differently as a premed. I've hated every day of it from day number 1, well maybe day number 45 or something but you get the point.

Very revealing thread imho.

This thread is so interesting, I really think the number from people in medical school and those who are premed would be very different. But doesn't that say something about medical education? Isn't there something wrong with a system engineered to train doctors, and the effect that system actually has is beating the desire out of them? I think medical education right now is such an archaic, ridiculous system. Hat's off to those schools that are trying to change that, and hats off to those of you who would still do it despite money not being an issue.

I would not go to med school if I had enough money. But I would have answered differently as a premed. I've hated every day of it from day number 1, well maybe day number 45 or something but you get the point.

Very revealing thread imho.

I agree that the medical school system is outdated. However, I can understand why it's tough, given the fact that peoples' lives are in your hands.

True Post^

:thumbup: for south park reference.

1. Have trust fund
2. Buy a medical school
3. Give self an MD
4. ????
5. Be that douche who wears scrubs everywhere

:D

I would still do it because I like the medical science and the working with people. However, I wouldn't be the traditional American doctor. I'd travel to poor countries to serve communities and start a non-profit. I'd try to be influential in global health politics.

I have on older friend in his late 40s, who got a pretty substantial amount of wealth from his dad after he passed away.

He doesnt work, has bay side property, builds kayaks, and goes kayaking everyday... works for him, but i personally could not see myself doing that. I only know him through my other friend who is his neighbor. Maybe hes wiser for wanting to avoid contact with many other people, and im a masochist for wanting to deal with people. Who knows? but i dont think either position is right and its just all about personal preference.

I chose Yes to the poll

We need more of these. ;)

Yes I would. However to blow off steam I'd have my gt3 rs ready to go at the track (and I'd have a membership and a garage space at said track so I don't have to transport anything) and I would probably own a birkin or 3. I'd also apply to all schools, just because I could.

Wow. A girl who likes GT3 RS. :love:

One of my good med school friends married into extraordinary wealth. Her trust fund is 10 digits and she's the sole heir to high 9 digits. His family is set for generations. His life is quite different than when we were in school, BUT he still works 1/2 time. (And has unusually large malpractice insurance to protect joint assets.) He devotes other time to his family, travel, golf, and charity projects.
As for me, if I had a >$10M trust fund, I would stop working and pursue my non medical interests.

One of my good med school friends married into extraordinary wealth. Her trust fund is 10 digits and she's the sole heir to high 9 digits. His family is set for generations. His life is quite different than when we were in school, BUT he still works 1/2 time. (And has unusually large malpractice insurance to protect joint assets.) He devotes other time to his family, travel, golf, and charity projects.
As for me, if I had a >$10M trust fund, I would stop working and pursue my non medical interests.

10 digits wow, I don't think even Paris Hilton stands to inherit that much.

I know a teacher who has a life like this. Teaches physics pretty much for fun, but his daddy was one of the founders of a HUGE company (I think it was sun or microsoft or something).

For me, I totally would. Except I would apply a lot wider knowing that money isnt an issue and I probably would've chosen to go to a better (expensive) undergrad like an ivy or something rather than picking the worse school, higher scholarship offer. Then I would go ahead and get a lot of degrees, just because im a weirdo who finds learning fun. And probably start some charity projects because that seems like fun too. :D

10 digits wow, I don't think even Paris Hilton stands to inherit that much.
I added instead of subtracted. She has an 8 digit trust fund and her father fell off the "B" list a few years ago, so only 9 digit inheritance potential. I have no doubt she's worth more than Paris and has the potential to inherit more. Good catch indeed!:laugh: Her christmas gifts are a little nuts.

if we are talking about hundreds of mil to bil range fund, then being a physician is a waste of talent and privilege imo.

with that kind of money, the more admirable career paths would be either:

1. start and manage a large scale philanthropic organization

OR

2. use your $$$ to drive innovation. invest in good ideas. i.e. private equity or VC

if you are lucky, you can really help change the world...

I'll still pursue medicine, though I'll try to build a hospital and be a hospital owner instead. :)