If you had the choice between schools, would the pandemic have any impact on where to study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

openstage

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is another one of those "trying to fill the hours of waiting" posts that you can just as easily ignore or respond to for fun.

Here's my question this time: If you had several acceptances, and were mulling over all the conditions to compare schools (COA, research opportunities, facilities, match list etc), would the school being located in a major metropolitan area, take on a different significance these days? I know quite a mouthful. To put it simply: would you favor a rural campus to start your medical school career to a metropolitan area that has been labeled a hot zone?

And before you answer that, let's put this out there to save your breath: YES, absolutely we know that the whole point of medicine is to help and treat all people. Lets assume that myself and everyone are in it for the right reasons. To serve others and join the front line of this or any fight. Yes, Hippocratic Oath, we get that 1000%.

But if all other things were equal, is this crisis weighing on your decision at all? Mature and respectful answers are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I would go to the metro area.

I would hope to learn from this pandemic. One way to do that is to be on the front lines.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Assuming all other factors being equal, I would pick the program that took proactive measures to protect the safety of patients and medical students.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd look awfully closely at how they responded to the pandemic. But the actual location wouldn't be a big thing other than choosing the medical school in the coldest, darkest and most desolate place possible but my geographic preferences would have nothing to do with the CoVid-19 thing.

Reactions: 2 users
If anything, the more rural counties in some states are deliberately defying common sense and medical advise, and are flouting social distancing. They will be paying a price for this later on (see, Italy)

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
In general, the pandemic is going to affect most areas. Some will do better at flattening the curve than others, but that would not be a major factor in my decision on which school to attend.

Reactions: 3 users
If anything, the more rural counties in some states are deliberately defying common sense and medical advise, and are flouting social distancing. They will be paying a price for this later on (see, Italy)

Interesting thing to note Goro. I appreciate your wisdom on this...

Reactions: 1 users
If anything, I think COVID-19 will roll thru most regions of the US and the world —urban or rural (just a matter of time).

Since the largest urban/most dense areas are being hit first, I would hope that covid-response measures (medical or policy-related) would be well established already in those cities by matriculation.

I hope rural/suburban areas (no matter how geographically distant from hotspots) are taking notes from what’s going around the world and implement preventive measures long before they have to face their own battles.

Reactions: 1 user
Only a week ago the Governor of Mississippi was not only refused to issue a shelter in place order, he issued a an executive order superseding the right of local governments to do that, saying that most businesses are essential businesses. It was only yesterday he finally, along with Florida, issued a shelter in place order
My understanding is that he still is allowing churches to have services. If true, NOT a good idea.

Reactions: 4 users
My dilemma is whether to choose my home program right here with my family or move to a completely new city for a program with better opportunities. Being on my own during a pandemic is the challenge here

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn't let it be a deciding factor over other more important factors like the cost of attendance and family ties. It all depends on what's important to you.

When I was applying to medical school, important to me was the ability to go to a school with lots of resources and a strong clinical environment. It was also important to keep my loans low, ergo my choice was to go to the school with the best curriculum for the lowest cost of attendance.

When I was applying to residency, I wanted far away from major cities which tended to be resource-poor and didn't give you much for your salary. I ended up in a dream rural community with plenty of resources, where my salary goes much further, and everyone is incredibly nice.

Find out what is important to you, I wouldn't let COVID define your choice other than to let it magnify things which are already important to you.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I recently saw a graph showing counties where people are still traveling 2+ miles. Now, what you are saying is true in some circumstances (see, Kemp, FL, etc). But I wonder how much of the data showing they are defying social distancing in terms of travel is because the south is typically more spread out, and thus it may take longer to get to a grocery store for ex, instead of just defying social distancing?

• Love
I recently saw a graph showing counties where people are still traveling 2+ miles. Now, what you are saying is true in some circumstances (see, Kemp, FL, etc). But I wonder how much of the data showing they are defying social distancing in terms of travel is because the south is typically more spread out, and thus it may take longer to get to a grocery store for ex, instead of just defying social distancing?
Very true, that for the Plains states, but I don't see that the south is so similarly spread out

Reactions: 1 users
Watch how the schools handle the pandemic.

Are they throwing their students out to hospitals and clinics with battle cries of "you signed up for this" without adequate PPE?

Are they forcing students to take vacations and eat into their elective and away rotations to do so or are they allowing rotations to continue online in an effort to help students stay on the path that causes the least damage to their overall careers?

Whether or not the school is currently in a hot zone or not doesn't really matter, because by the time you get there it likely won't be a hot zone anymore.