Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

If you took all your classes at a regular university but all your science and ..

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jordan23, Mar 5, 2007.

1. jordan23

2+ Year Member

math courses at a really small univeristy, to get that edge being in smaller classes, would the admissions in a medical school see what you were trying to do? Like, would they reject you based on where you took your science and math courses versus your other stuff? What do you guys think?

2. corranh314

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It may not be the basis for an outright rejection, but I have been told by many adcom members at my school that it is not a good thing to do. I would not recommend it at all, unless maybe you are home over a summer and choose to take 1 or 2 of the pre-reqs at a local university of similar status to your own. Even then, it seems somewhat risky. Why risk it?

3. tdd340

tdd340 Assistant to the sensei
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Is this small University a 4-year institution or a community college. If its a decent 4 year school I don't think it would be an app killer though you def might be asked about it.

4. MonkeyNuts!

MonkeyNuts! Even Kal has bad days...
    Bronze Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Yeah are you talking about a small 4 yr accredited institution or a CC, because say for instance if you go to JHU, a small university (relatively speaking), for your prereqs, I doubt adcoms would be critical of that. But say you go to Honky Dory Community College they'd probably be skeptical of you.

5. Krisss17

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    It all depends on how it plays out on the MCAT, in my opinion. True there may be some adcoms that may frown on it...but if you do well in the courses, understand what you are learning and do well on the MCAT...it may very well be just fine.

It may come up in a question during an interview...but if you give a good enough explanation (i.e., I have found that I in a smaller class setting, I'm able to understand the material more thoroughly...).

You'll find on this thread that there will be some that say that taking classes outside of a 4-yr university is a death knell, and then some successful medical students that say that it's more your GPA and MCAT than the the university itself. Take it all with a grain of salt.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...