If you took all your classes at a regular university but all your science and ..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jordan23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
math courses at a really small univeristy, to get that edge being in smaller classes, would the admissions in a medical school see what you were trying to do? Like, would they reject you based on where you took your science and math courses versus your other stuff? What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

It may not be the basis for an outright rejection, but I have been told by many adcom members at my school that it is not a good thing to do. I would not recommend it at all, unless maybe you are home over a summer and choose to take 1 or 2 of the pre-reqs at a local university of similar status to your own. Even then, it seems somewhat risky. Why risk it?

Is this small University a 4-year institution or a community college. If its a decent 4 year school I don't think it would be an app killer though you def might be asked about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah are you talking about a small 4 yr accredited institution or a CC, because say for instance if you go to JHU, a small university (relatively speaking), for your prereqs, I doubt adcoms would be critical of that. But say you go to Honky Dory Community College they'd probably be skeptical of you.

It all depends on how it plays out on the MCAT, in my opinion. True there may be some adcoms that may frown on it...but if you do well in the courses, understand what you are learning and do well on the MCAT...it may very well be just fine.

It may come up in a question during an interview...but if you give a good enough explanation (i.e., I have found that I in a smaller class setting, I'm able to understand the material more thoroughly...).

You'll find on this thread that there will be some that say that taking classes outside of a 4-yr university is a death knell, and then some successful medical students that say that it's more your GPA and MCAT than the the university itself. Take it all with a grain of salt.