If you were considering working for Kaiser, consider this.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol. Honestly, out of everywhere I've lived and visited, best Mexican food and burritos I've had were from Milwaukee.

My best Latin food in recent times was in Phoenix, but that was also my first post-covid real vacation, so that may have affected my opinions.

That said, I have been to many cultural wastelands such as Raleigh-Durham, Charleston, Atlanta, Miami, DC, Richmond, Baltimore, Nashville, Philly and somehow managed to procure a good meal. This is even true for smaller places like Savannah, Myrtle Beach, Virginia Beach, Annapolis, Hilton Head, etc...even Minneapolis for you midwesterners.

My best Latin food in recent times was in Phoenix, but that was also my first post-covid real vacation, so that may have affected my opinions.

That said, I have been to many cultural wastelands such as Raleigh-Durham, Charleston, Atlanta, Miami, DC, Richmond, Baltimore, Philly and somehow managed to procure a good meal. This is even true for smaller places like Savannah, Myrtle Beach, Virginia Beach, Annapolis, Hilton Head, etc...even Minneapolis for you midwesterners.

The Midwest has a lot of cool immigrant pockets to explore from a culinary and other perspective. It's a shame people discount the culture of those who immigrated there simply because they chose not to live on a coast.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Actually aside from that it's great. California or Hawaii are the only places I would consider living in the US.
Have you ever lived in Hawaii? Most transplants to the state end up leaving relatively quickly--it's a very different and very expensive place, and it is almost akin to living in an English-speaking foreign country in a lot of ways.

Yes I have, multiple times.
were you fasting?

and for those looking for an evidenced based burrito debate...

:rofl:

Not sure where you think I live, but there are a lot of Latin immigrants that know how to cook a good meal if you know where to look.

Maybe I should define terms: I mean a quality California style burrito. Lots of good Mexican food where I suspect you are, but I call shenanigans on there being good California style burritos.

were you fasting?

and for those looking for an evidenced based burrito debate...

I'm a healthy eater, sampled plenty. But, probably more exposure to Milwaukee as I was able to dine at multiple establishments many times and try pretty much the whole menus over the years. It's an interesting city in terms of its immigrant waves. And, I don't believe that people are incapable of cooking their home country cuisine once they move, or passing that on to others.

Maybe I should define terms: I mean a quality California style burrito. Lots of good Mexican food where I suspect you are, but I call shenanigans on there being good California style burritos.

Lol, now I want you to PM me with my suspected location because I am curious. I will say that my local place is pretty much all Spanish speaking immigrants and I live fairly close to what was voted the best taqueria/Mexican in the state. I also found a decent NYC style slice of pizza as well. The bagels though....not the same. I also miss the diners.

Lol, now I want you to PM me with my suspected location because I am curious. I will say that my local place is pretty much all Spanish speaking immigrants and I live fairly close to what was voted the best taqueria/Mexican in the state. I also found a decent NYC style slice of pizza as well. The bagels though....not the same. I also miss the diners.
As a Jew who has never been to NY, I now wonder if I'm missing out on bagels.

Coincidentally, Milwaukee has a sizable Jewish population. I used to live 3 blocks from an awesome Jewish deli. One of the best Reuben's I've ever had, and they did a delicious lox Benedict.

Every Jew should experience Israel and a good bagel with lox. In fact, they should just include it in Birthright.

Get thee to Russ and Daughters.

Pro-tip: try a Bialy as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The Midwest has a lot of cool immigrant pockets to explore from a culinary and other perspective. It's a shame people discount the culture of those who immigrated there simply because they chose not to live on a coast.

As a born and raised Midwesterner I will certainly defend this area and say that we have plenty of good food--including ethnic food--but my southern California native husband has not found a Mexican place that meets his approval.

As a born and raised Midwesterner I will certainly defend this area and say that we have plenty of good food--including ethnic food--but my southern California native husband has not found a Mexican place that meets his approval.

Next time you're in MKE, try out Guadalajara or Tacqueria El Cabrito down in the 5th Ward area. El Senorial is decent, too.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Frankie says Relax, dude. Everyone has places they dislike and places they prefer. It's normal.

If a grown ass man tells me the sky is polka dot while drooling out of his slack jawed mouth I have to correct him.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
If a grown ass man tells me the sky is polka dot while drooling out of his slack jawed mouth I have to correct him.

So, that happens to you living in CA? Was he homeless? Just another reason not to live there.

• Haha
100% yes. It's the water. The only place I've found to have comparable bagels is/was in Palm Beach, FL. The local spot would truck water down from NYC. I used to drive up there every other weekend to stand in line to get some proper bagels. This was ~15-20 years ago, so YMMV now.

100% yes. It's the water. The only place I've found to have comparable bagels is/was in Palm Beach, FL. The local spot would truck water down from NYC. I used to drive up there every other weekend to stand in line to get some proper bagels. This was ~15-20 years ago, so YMMV now.

Do they infuse it with the essence of NYC? Rudeness and the smell of hot urine?

• Haha

Totally incorrect. That is rudeness and hot garbage you smell. I am thinking of pitching it to Calvin Klein and calling it Eau de New York.

Totally incorrect. That is rudeness and hot garbage you smell. I am thinking of pitching it to Calvin Klein and calling it Eau de New York.
This brings back so many memories of the 10ft high walls of trash bags down every street on garbage days.

This brings back so many memories of the 10ft high walls of trash bags down every street on garbage days.

Lots of memories of those piles of garbage mixing in your nostrils with the steam coming up from the pipes at 2 or 3am walking to the train station or hunting for correct halal cart after a night of revelry...oh to be young again.

Last edited:
Yes and I think they have medical residency now to make indentured servants
If they can do this they will. They will do anything to acquire cheap labor.

I've lived in a lot of regions, and tbh, I've found East Coasters to be, in aggregate, the absolute nicest man on the street people, actually. In Minnesota, it's no coincidence that my closest friend was from the East Coast (and no, I'm not from the East Coast--I've just always found them super helpful and welcoming).

• Love
I've lived in a lot of regions, and tbh, I've found East Coasters to be, in aggregate, the absolute nicest man on the street people, actually. In Minnesota, it's no coincidence that my closest friend was from the East Coast (and no, I'm not from the East Coast--I've just always found them super helpful and welcoming).

New Yorkers are an odd bunch. Definitely not the most polite, but when you really need help...

Amazing video shows a dozen strangers lift an SUV off a woman pinned underneath

Been hit or miss in my East Coaster experience. Though I would say that the PNW was weird for taking passive aggressiveness to the extreme.

I personally have found Midwesterners to be the nicest (Minnesota and Wisconsin, specifically). I loved how chill West Coast people were and got along very well with them overall. Probably why I married one, lol. On that note, my husband thinks that Midwestern nice is passive aggressive and hates how indirect people here are.

I personally have found Midwesterners to be the nicest (Minnesota and Wisconsin, specifically). I loved how chill West Coast people were and got along very well with them overall. Probably why I married one, lol. On that note, my husband thinks that Midwestern nice is passive aggressive and hates how indirect people here are.

Maybe it's a growing up in an area thing. I found the upper West Coast weird in communication because you never really knew where you stood with people with the passive aggressiveness. And maybe I'm just used to dealing with Midwesterners, but I find that the communication is much more straightforward, no guessing about where you stand. I would agree that the upper Midwest is the nicest in terms of the places I have lived over the years.

Maybe it's a growing up in an area thing. I found the upper West Coast weird in communication because you never really knew where you stood with people with the passive aggressiveness. And maybe I'm just used to dealing with Midwesterners, but I find that the communication is much more straightforward, no guessing about where you stand. I would agree that the upper Midwest is the nicest in terms of the places I have lived over the years.

I would think that a person that grew up in a certain area has picked up on the regional nuances in communication and probably does not consider it regional. I have a patient from the midwest who just moved to my state and is struggling with just that. Not everyone they meet embodies their midwestern values. I know I had a culture shock when I first moved from the northeast to the south. A lot more small talk and polite chit chat was necessary, though I ran into quite a few strangers who were rude in their own southern way.

I would think that a person that grew up in a certain area has picked up on the regional nuances in communication and probably does not consider it regional. I have a patient from the midwest who just moved to my state and is struggling with just that. Not everyone they meet embodies their midwestern values. I know I had a culture shock when I first moved from the northeast to the south. A lot more small talk and polite chit chat was necessary, though I ran into quite a few strangers who were rude in their own southern way.

Yeah, Texans have been the most outright rude in terms of my past living experiences.

Yeah, Texans have been the most outright rude in terms of my past living experiences.

Texas is an interesting place. I still don't understand their obsession with F-150 King Ranch pickups. Not my idea of luxury. Good tacos though.

Texas is an interesting place. I still don't understand their obsession with F-150 King Ranch pickups. Not my idea of luxury. Good tacos though.
Th F-150 is a political thing. All good right-wing guys drive them.

Th F-150 is a political thing. All good right-wing guys drive them.

Surely there is a better way to signal your support for the party that supposedly espouses fiscal conservatism than taking out a loan for a $70k pickup truck.

Last edited:
You would think so but..when all your friends have one, and you know you will get hassled if you drive anything else...that 70K seems unimportant I would imagine.

You would think so but..when all your friends have one, and you know you will get hassled if you drive anything else...that 70K seems unimportant I would imagine.
Ehh, peer pressure is a poor excuse. Plenty of people I know with Teslas and Rivians. I did not feel the need to join the party.

I was not saying or implying that peer pressure is a good "excuse" - just a reason.

I think that the people you know have somewhat different educational levels and income.

I was not saying or implying that peer pressure is a good "excuse" - just a reason.

I think that the people you know have somewhat different educational levels and income.

While I am sure they do, those folks fall into the trap all the same. They just buy different vehicles(Tesla, BMW, Audi, one Lucid on the east coast; Rivian seems to be popular among Denver friends). I still do not get the luxury pickup segment. Audi E-tron or a Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo for me if I am spending dumb money on transportation.

While I am sure they do, those folks fall into the trap all the same. They just buy different vehicles(Tesla, BMW, Audi, one Lucid on the east coast; Rivian seems to be popular among Denver friends). I still do not get the luxury pickup segment. Audi E-tron or a Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo for me if I am spending dumb money on transportation.
I have a Porsche myself, but it has no political meaning for me at all, unlike those overpriced F 150's do for people like the Proud Boys et al.

Lol. Honestly, out of everywhere I've lived and visited, best Mexican food and burritos I've had were from Milwaukee.
Old response but it's 100% necessary. Where on earth did you manage to get the best burrito you've had in Milwaukee? I lived in the area (downtown/riverwest area) and my parents are still in the city. Honestly curious what the place was because I always struggle to find good mexican when I visit.

Everything old is new again. Didn't this already happen in 2013?
Yes, it happened in 2013, and it happened again in 2021. I can guarantee that it is happening yet again NOW. Kaiser has no intention of following the law, and regards that 200 million fine as just "the cost of doing business". We would need to start jailing executives or the CEO to get any real traction with Kaiser regarding this law.

Reactions: 3 users
Attach files
Old response but it's 100% necessary. Where on earth did you manage to get the best burrito you've had in Milwaukee? I lived in the area (downtown/riverwest area) and my parents are still in the city. Honestly curious what the place was because I always struggle to find good mexican when I visit.

When I was there, Guadalajara, Cabrito, and Al Pastor were always good.

Despite the fact that I trust @WisNeuro when he opines on a number of topics in psychology, I remain skeptical about the Mexican food report. 😉
Then again, when you are that far from Mexico, one does get desperate and will grasp at straws, as I well know. I was spoiled growing up in Southern California because some of the best Mexican food I ever had was cooked by my friends moms. We also spent a lot of time hunting for and sharing information about the best “hole on the wall” restaurants throughout the city. I do miss that part of LA.

Despite the fact that I trust @WisNeuro when he opines on a number of topics in psychology, I remain skeptical about the Mexican food report. 😉
Then again, when you are that far from Mexico, one does get desperate and will grasp at straws, as I well know. I was spoiled growing up in Southern California because some of the best Mexican food I ever had was cooked by my friends moms. We also spent a lot of time hunting for and sharing information about the best “hole on the wall” restaurants throughout the city. I do miss that part of LA.

You do know that I did indeed live in a Mexico border state as well? :)

• Haha
The best Mexican I've had thus far as been in Albuquerque. Not too shocking given it's the state of New Mexico, but quite a bit different from SoCal mexican due to there being not nearly as much sea food influence (more cheese, beef, and carbs).

If you ever happen to find yourself in this part of the states I highly recommend Cocina Azul on Mountain, and El Paisa Taqueria.

Last edited:
The best Mexican I've had thus far as been in Albuquerque. Not too shocking given it's the state of New Mexico, but quite a bit different from SoCal mexican due to there being not nearly as much sea food influence (more cheese, beef, and carbs).

If you ever happen to find yourself in this part of the states I highly recommend Cocina Azul on Mountain, and El Paisa Taqueria.

Have you had a good lamb birria taco though?