If you would be asked this question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hl11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you'll be asked how many schools you have applied to in the interview, will you elaborate on why you chose to apply to these schools? Or just tell the school names and that's it?

Members don't see this ad.

I will just name the top 3 or so, and tell y. There is no pt of naming all the schools

At Buffalo they are going to want to know every single school that you applied to.....they want to how you came to those choices.

I will just name the top 3 or so, and tell y. There is no pt of naming all the schools

Members don't see this ad :)
At Buffalo they are going to want to know every single school that you applied to.....they want to how you came to those choices.

sucks... :p

Shrug, I applied to 20 schools. The absolute truth is because my grades are low, so I had no clue if I could get into any. What I might tell them is that I applied to 20 because, "As you know, my grades are below average for a dental school applicant, but I am very committed to becoming a dentist, and I hoped that at least one of the schools I chose would look past my low grades and see my overall package, which thankfully, you (school name) have."

If you have good grades, then you probably didn't apply to a "random" mix of 20 schools, and this question is probably more straight forward (although, try very hard not to hype the other schools).

sucks... :p

Shrug, I applied to 20 schools. The absolute truth is because my grades are low, so I had no clue if I could get into any. What I might tell them is that I applied to 20 because, "As you know, my grades are below average for a dental school applicant, but I am very committed to becoming a dentist, and I hoped that at least one of the schools I chose would look past my low grades and see my overall package, which thankfully, you (school name) have."

If you have good grades, then you probably didn't apply to a "random" mix of 20 schools, and this question is probably more straight forward (although, try very hard not to hype the other schools).

i applied to 20+ schools and had no shame at all telling adcoms this. the most important thing at interviews imo is to tell them the truth and to be yourself. chances are, you applied to that many because your stats were on the lower side and you wanted to be safe than sorry... that reason makes perfect sense and there is absolutely no use lying about it.

don't be paranoid!

If you'll be asked how many schools you have applied to in the interview, will you elaborate on why you chose to apply to these schools? Or just tell the school names and that's it?
I had to elaborate:eek:

My interviewer did that to me at Boston. He listed on a white piece of paper all the schools I applied to as soon as I sat there! hehehe :D And then he asked me to explain each one :rolleyes: Also asked why did I apply to Buffalo, since "it was so far away> near Canada" and why did I not apply to NOVA, since I am FL resident :eek:
Anywho, it went well, I think he was just curious, I am pretty sure they don't do that to everyone at Boston.:D But be prepared for those interviewers that might just be curious :D:thumbup::luck: GL and I wish you the best!

I had to elaborate:eek:

My interviewer did that to me at Boston. He listed on a white piece of paper all the schools I applied to as soon as I sat there! hehehe :D And then he asked me to explain each one :rolleyes: Also asked why did I apply to Buffalo, since "it was so far away> near Canada" and why did I not apply to NOVA, since I am FL resident :eek:
Anywho, it went well, I think he was just curious, I am pretty sure they don't do that to everyone at Boston.:D But be prepared for those interviewers that might just be curious :D:thumbup::luck: GL and I wish you the best!

"Oh crap, I didn't apply to Nova?! Arghaghr"

"Oh crap, I didn't apply to Nova?! Arghaghr"

Lol :laugh:
Well, even though NOVA is a fine school, I didn't apply there on purpose... it wasn't an accident. I just explained to him and he was fine with it...

They never asked me that at Buffalo. To the OP if they ask how many I wouldn't rattle off a list of names just say the number. If they ask why, just tell them you wanted to increase your chances, or you wanted to apply in a broad range of locations, whatever your reason may be. I doubt it counts against you.